Who is heading for the better year, Shef or Dunn? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is heading for the better year, Shef or Dunn?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bellings » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:56 pm

Isn't this like asking whether Miggy of Reyes will have a better year? It's hard to even compare since their strengths are in different cats.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jbauer2485 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:03 pm

bellings wrote:Isn't this like asking whether Miggy of Reyes will have a better year? It's hard to even compare since their strengths are in different cats.

How are their strengths in different catagories?

Avg - Sheff
HR - Equal
SB - Neither
R - Equal
Rbi - Equal
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Yoda » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:10 pm

I am unsure how Sheffield will hit that many HRs. A lot of sluggers that went there like Juan Gone, Pudge, Maggs all saw their HR numbers drop sharply. I think 25-30 is more realistic.

They both come with risks/rewards. I'd probably lean towards Sheff right now (assuming he is healthy) as he is more well rounded and is not as streaky as Dunn.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Phatferd » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:41 pm

Yoda wrote:I am unsure how Sheffield will hit that many HRs. A lot of sluggers that went there like Juan Gone, Pudge, Maggs all saw their HR numbers drop sharply. I think 25-30 is more realistic.

They both come with risks/rewards. I'd probably lean towards Sheff right now (assuming he is healthy) as he is more well rounded and is not as streaky as Dunn.

I am just playing Devil's Advocate here for sake of conversation. Juan Gone played in Detroit before the fences were moved in. Pudge played after the whole steroid thing (he was rumored, not accusing) plus he is an aging Catcher, his power will decline. Maggs had a serious injury and many believed he wouldn't be the same player afterwards.

I am not making excuses, I am just giving reasons as to why their numbers (HR/power) may have dropped.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:07 pm

Phatferd wrote:
Yoda wrote:I am unsure how Sheffield will hit that many HRs. A lot of sluggers that went there like Juan Gone, Pudge, Maggs all saw their HR numbers drop sharply. I think 25-30 is more realistic.

I am just playing Devil's Advocate here for sake of conversation. Juan Gone played in Detroit before the fences were moved in. Pudge played after the whole steroid thing (he was rumored, not accusing) plus he is an aging Catcher, his power will decline. Maggs had a serious injury and many believed he wouldn't be the same player afterwards.

I am not making excuses, I am just giving reasons as to why their numbers (HR/power) may have dropped.

Well you can argue that Shef is getting older and coming off an injury sesason also. Even more reasons for me to believe that he'll hit mid 20s than mid 30s.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby t2green2 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:21 pm

give me Dunn for no other reason than I drafted him over Shef in my keeper league
t2green2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigLebowski » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:35 pm

t2green2 wrote:give me Dunn for no other reason than I drafted him over Shef in my keeper league

Eeeek! Thats too bad.

Dunn is so overrated, there have been 50+ threads on this in the past. People will always take him too early just cause of the power he has. Until that average comes above the .275 mark I just can't take him where he usually gets drafted.

Sheffield is the much better player and I'd take him a couple of rounds before I'd touch Dunn.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby kcs261 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:48 pm

I hate the Ks for Dunn. I know some guys are still able to produce with the Ks. But those Ks will limit his ability to ever hit for average. I would take Sheffield pretty easily even though Sheff is getting up their in years.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers