Jose Reyes, Miguel Cabrera and Mark Teixiera - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jose Reyes, Miguel Cabrera and Mark Teixiera

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jose Reyes, Miguel Cabrera and Mark Teixiera

Postby wp001g » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:06 am

I have all three in my farm system (meaning they don't appreciate year to year). Is it wise to actually bring them up to my active roster (if they are brought up, they can never go back down)?

Are any of these guys actually going to be worth owning in a 14 team, 29 player per team keeper league. I think they are, others have told me to draft cheap backups and see how the prospects handle themselves before bringing them up. I'd like to have the extra $'s to get better players in the auction, however. Anyone have an opinion on what to expect from these youngsters?

Thanks in advance.
wp001g
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jose Reyes, Miguel Cabrera and Mark Teixiera

Postby swarmee » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:15 am

wp001g wrote:Is it wise to actually bring them up to my active roster (if they are brought up, they can never go back down)?

I have a similar league, so I know what you're talking about. All three are defintely worth keeping, so don't even consider cutting them before your draft.
Cabrera and Teixeira are your best bets to help you this year. I watch Mark play through college (small bias), and he's got great plate discipline, and projects as a 30-hr hitter this coming season, with future MVP quality years. Cabrera is a stud as well, and since Florida's keeping the brunt of their lineup intact, he'll still get many RBI chances. Bringing both of them up after week 1 of the season is as can't-miss as you can get.
Reyes, on the other hand, has the X-factor of trying to learn a new position in his first full season in the majors, something a LOT of players have difficulty with. I would guess that the Mets will short-leash him, and if he struggles to pick up the new position, he'll be sent down to AAA to learn how to play the position better. I would have him ride the pine (and therefore, stay free) until you're sure he's in the bigs to stay. I have him as a prospect as well, and will most likely trade him after my draft.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Erboes » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:14 am

For what it's worth, I think Teixeira's further along in his development and could explode this season. Cabrera I am yet sold on for next season. I wouldn't be surprised if he struggles due to pitchers learning to pitch to him and spends some time in the minors. I believe Teixeira's already made that adjustment. I think Reyes has absolutely no plate discipline which doesn't bode well for him for next season. Moving to second won't help his development either. I'd activate Teixeira and let the other two sit.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Area51's » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:41 pm

If I had to pick just one of the three, given your cirumstances, it would easily be Teixeira. Those 3 guys are awesome for you to have in your minors, but I would sure wait a year on the other two.
If I were playing third base and my mother were rounding third with the run that was going to beat us, I'd trip her. Oh, I'd pick her up and brush her off and say, 'Sorry, Mom,' but nobody beats me.
Leo Durocher, Brooklyn Dodgers Manager
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Jose Reyes, Miguel Cabrera and Mark Teixiera

Postby mikcou » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:28 pm

swarmee wrote:
wp001g wrote:Is it wise to actually bring them up to my active roster (if they are brought up, they can never go back down)?

I have a similar league, so I know what you're talking about. All three are defintely worth keeping, so don't even consider cutting them before your draft.
Cabrera and Teixeira are your best bets to help you this year. I watch Mark play through college (small bias), and he's got great plate discipline, and projects as a 30-hr hitter this coming season, with future MVP quality years. Cabrera is a stud as well, and since Florida's keeping the brunt of their lineup intact, he'll still get many RBI chances. Bringing both of them up after week 1 of the season is as can't-miss as you can get.
Reyes, on the other hand, has the X-factor of trying to learn a new position in his first full season in the majors, something a LOT of players have difficulty with. I would guess that the Mets will short-leash him, and if he struggles to pick up the new position, he'll be sent down to AAA to learn how to play the position better. I would have him ride the pine (and therefore, stay free) until you're sure he's in the bigs to stay. I have him as a prospect as well, and will most likely trade him after my draft.

I agree
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:40 pm

Tex is a lock to activate. Cabrera is a slight gamble, but I'd take that chance as well. Reyes is a fairly large gamble, and if you are patient, then leave him be for 1 year. Granted Reyes is in a shallow position and I can think of worse guys to have, so the decision is yours to make. I'm a gambling man myself in that situation. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers