Guessing at the AL West - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Guessing at the AL West

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby eftda » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:44 am

pkarr5000 wrote:zona fans should know; theres a guy named erubiel durazo that also bats for the a's. everyone knows he walks like crazy, even more than man ram and a rod but why no success you ask? ill admit, miggys a bit of a freeswinger but thats gonna change next year when chavez, a more disciplined hitter steps up. kielty batted .300 against left handers with an ops of .967. and he batted 333 at the net. kotsay as you all know has the stuff but gets injured but as long as oakland keeps him healthy, hes well capable of 25-25. byrnes just needs to pace himself and oakland is all set.

every A's fan thinks the same way... :-? (I like the A's but i am not a huge fan of mr. bean)
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigLebowski » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:45 am

Your all forgetting, they are gonna start testing for roids, Durazo is never gonna have his power number, that we all immagined.

Durazo is one guy who has been looked upon as a roid' case in the past. According to my sources in the PHX media.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby eftda » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:47 am

BigLebowski wrote:Your all forgetting, they are gonna start testing for roids, Durazo is never gonna have his power number, that we all immagined.

Durazo is one guy who has been looked upon as a roid' case in the past. According to my sources in the PHX media.

I doubt it will be a huge factor... :-? but i could be wrong
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bell » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:52 am

BigLebowski wrote:Your all forgetting, they are gonna start testing for roids, Durazo is never gonna have his power number, that we all immagined.

Last I read baseball's steroids testing method has a hole in it the size of Bond's ego.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby eftda » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:57 am

bell wrote:

Last I read baseball's steroids testing method has a hole in it the size of Bond's ego.

dont get me started :-/ (for reals)
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby shortsavage » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:58 am

More on Crosby:

Although I would love to see him excel, asking for Crosby to put up offensive numbers that are more than a standard deviation above the league average is a bit wishful !+) .

If one great year of minor league ball warrants the label of future superstar, baseball has probably seen about 25 "future superstars" who have had trouble fulfilling their labels each season.

Bobby is a great hitter who started to develop power last season at the AAA level. Looking at his minors league numbers, it appears that he could easily be a .300+ hitter in the bigs if he can develop a smidgen more plate discipline ;-D .

In fact, it would not be far fetched to expect Crosby's rookie numbers to rival those of Angel Berroas, if he was playing in a hitter's ballpark :-B . In the spacious confines of The Oakland Coliseum, Crosby will be lucky to hit 15 homeruns and dive in 60 runs.

Perhaps the aspiring shortstop will develop into one of the MLB's top shortstops, but I can not see him being a major offensive asset to the Athletics in 2004 :-? .
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby bell » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:03 am

eftda wrote:
bell wrote:

On steroids testing or Bonds? ;-)
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:10 am

bell wrote:
eftda wrote:
bell wrote:

On steroids testing or Bonds? ;-)

Both. Eftda has calmed down quite a bit around here about Barry, but everyone is a little careful to make sure not to push Eftda's "Barry Button". :-o

Lol. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby shortsavage » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:18 am

bell wrote:

I do not think that fans of baseball and its economic development should be so disgruntled over the steroid testing policy :-? .

If you are a fan of the game of baseball without corporate ties, perhaps you should become the scorekeeper for your local high school team, because the "pure" flavor of baseball is long gone at the professional level O:-) .

Looking at the steroid testing plan from a business perspective, it is a sound move. Sure, it would be ideal if the use of performance enhancing narcotics were instantaneously and completely diminished, but can you imagine what such an act would do to baseball's fan base :-o ? From stadiums to drafts and even the ball itself, the entire game has been altered to pivot around the home run :*) . If steroids were eliminated from the game cold turkey, organizations might as well dismantle all of their upper deck seating.

A modern-day, economically-aware baseball fan should know why so many writers are having a ball attacking baseball's steroid plan, and they should not be so inclined to jump onto the media propelled bandwagon. The steroid plan obviously has gaping holes that can only be attributed to the hankering of its profit hungry officials. And today's society just loves jumping all over overzealous capitalists :-B .

However, if you are a fan of corporate baseball, there are not many options but to put your tongue to your cheek and wait for baseball's steroid plan to gradually make an impact.

Like Selig, steroids need to go, but baseball officials have surely explored the most efficient routes from point A to point B, and as a fan of the game I am not about to second-guess them. For, if I was into dwelling on the imperfections of baseball, I might as well invest my time and interest elsewhere.
Last edited by shortsavage on Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby bell » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:36 am

shortsavage wrote:
bell wrote:

I do not think that fans of baseball and its economic development should be so malcontent over the steroid testing policy :-? .

If you are a fan of the game of baseball without corporate ties, perhaps you should become the scorekeeper for your local high school team, because the "pure" flavor of baseball is long gone at the professional level O:-) .

Looking at the steroid testing plan from a business perspective, it is a sound move. Sure, it would be ideal if the use of performance enhancing narcotics was instantaneously and completely diminished, but can you imagine what such an act would do to baseball's fan base :-o ? From staduims to drafts and even the ball itself, the entire game has been altered to pivot around the home run :*) . If steroids were eliminated from the game cold turkey, organizations might as well dismantle all of their upper deck seating.

A modern-day, economically-aware baseball fan should know why so many writers are having a ball attacking baseball's steriod plan, and they should not be so inclined to jump onto the media propelled bandwagon. The steroid plan obviously has gaping holes that can only be attributed to the hankering of its profit hungry officials. And today's society just loves jumping all over overzealous capitolists :-B .

However, if you are a fan of corporate baseball, there are not many options but to put your tongue to your cheek and wait for baseball's steroid plan to gradually make an impact.

Like Selig, steroids need to go, but baseball officials have surely explored the most efficient routes from point A to point B, and as a fan of the game I am not about to second guess them. For, if I was into dwelling on the imperfections of baseball, I might as well invest my time and interest elsewhere.

Surely someone's not using my quote to assume my position on steroids testing or the state of baseball, whether it is sitting on the proverbial knee of corporations or is still the game that little Bobby and Jimmy play just down the street?

What I said was simply referring to was the fact that there is a definite weakness (or so I've read) in the steroids testing. But, indeed, everything must have a beginning.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers