Guessing at the AL West - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Guessing at the AL West

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Guessing at the AL West

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:51 pm

Ok, everyone is watching where the free agents are going and who's signing who. Let's take a look at the AL West and see what we all think:

1. Angels---Have signed Colon and Escobar. Rumors have them getting Nomar if the Arod deal goes through. Glaus is returning and Salmon should rebound somewhat from a bad year last year. Garret Anderson is Mr. Consistant. Offense looks good, bullpen looks good, starting pitching is the main concern, but not terrible. My pick to win the division next year.

2. Mariners---Pitching situation is coming together. Hasegawa to set up Guardado is what appears to be happening. Sasaki is rumored to be headed back to Japan. Freddy Garcia might get non-tendered, opening a definite spot for Soriano to start. Even if Seattle keeps Garcia, Soriano might start anyway. Edgar Martinez is returning for an additional year, Ichiro should improve on last year's numbers. Offense needs a small boost, bullpen looks good, starting pitching is a concern, but not terrible. 2nd place finish.

3. A's---Solid starting pitching, big 3, need I say more? Probably going to lose Foulke and Tejada. Bullpen is a concern, hitting is a concern. Chavez and who is going to carry the offense? They will fight the Rangers to stay out of last place.

4. Rangers---Terrible starting pitching. Bullpen isn't pretty except for Cordero. Hitting will be good with Arod or Manny, plus, Young, Blalock, Teixeira, Fullmer, etc., so no concerns there. Will fight with Oakland to stay out of last.

Ok, I know there are a lot of Oakland fans out there, and some Seattle fans as well, so I'm expecting to get a few interesting responses. Let's have some fun. ;-D

*Disclaimer* This is where everyone stands right now and is subject to change if the teams sign new impact free agents. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bell » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:02 am

Good assessment, Madison. ;-D I have the same concerns as you with Oakland (need another bat or two), and I still wonder about the Lilly trade.

I don't see Salmon doing much more than he did last year. I was surprised to see he was able to put in 148 games last season. I think the next season for him is dependent upon the amount of time he's DH'd.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pkarr5000 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:09 am

how can oakland be fighting for last if they have a superstar shortstop coming in. pitching wins ballgames. if you lose your best pitcher who is average at best, you have colby lewis aka cory lidle as your ace (ERA 7.30). cordero had the lowest ERA, and that was 2.94 which is pretty pathetic for a m.r./closer. so we have two different ballclubs that have two different philosophies. one relies on the longball and the other thinks pitching is imperative. to me, it makes no sense to have oakland 3rd. their outfield has dramatically improved and chavez is ready to break out.

1. oakland
2. anaheim
3. seattle
4. texas
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Justise » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:11 am

Seattle fan here.

Reason:
1 - A's
2 - M's
3 - Halo's
4 - Rangers

Gut Feeling
1 - M's
2 - A's
3 - Rangers
4 - Halo's

Reasonably, I feel the A's will still put together the team they need to compete. I think its fair to say 3 straight seasons of success implies that beane's abilities aren't lucky or a fluke.

The Halo's will probably compete with thier pitching, but its not better then the M's or A's. And the rangers just don't have the staff right now to compete pitching wise, of course they haven't done thier deals so I'm sure it will need some reconsideration at a later date.

Gut feeling.
There isn't much logic here I'd like to describe, I'm just gonna leave it at that.
Justise
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby pkarr5000 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:14 am

i think seattles gonna kick A$$ next year until the break. thats when oakland and anaheim will compete but oakland will come out on top like they do each year
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: Guessing at the AL West

Postby chinch sacs » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:15 am

Madison wrote:1. Angels---Have signed Colon and Escobar. Rumors have them getting Nomar if the Arod deal goes through. Glaus is returning and Salmon should rebound somewhat from a bad year last year. Garret Anderson is Mr. Consistant. Offense looks good, bullpen looks good, starting pitching is the main concern, but not terrible. My pick to win the division next year.

If they get Nomar, they will have to give Glaus... and I think they should deal Percy and his $7.8 million salary to a team that needs a closer and move K-Rod, Weber or Donnelly to closer.

I still like the A's to win the division, but that is just the Homer in me ;-)
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BigLebowski » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:19 am

I really don't like the A's at all next year. It's hard to argue with the top 3 in their pitching staff, but I don't like their offense at all.

I think the Mariners have a rebound year coming.

Rangers can't be as bad as they were last year.

Angels...I like them alot

My order......

Angels, especially if they get Nomar.
M's
A's
Rangers.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:30 am

Great discussion! ;-D

A couple of things so far, and they both are for Pkarr.

how can oakland be fighting for last if they have a superstar shortstop coming in.

Chavez and Crosby will carry the offense? 8-o I just don't see that happening. They need a minimum of one impact bat, and probably two. Beane works wonders, but there just isn't enough bats right now.

cordero had the lowest ERA, and that was 2.94 which is pretty pathetic for a m.r./closer.

Cordero's era was 2.30 after the All-Star break. Cordero didn't get the closer's role until after the break. There's a world of difference in setting up and closing. Still not great, but not as bad as it looks.

This has been great! ;-D Keep it up guys or anyone else that has an opinion feel free to join in. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pkarr5000 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:36 am

zona fans should know; theres a guy named erubiel durazo that also bats for the a's. everyone knows he walks like crazy, even more than man ram and a rod but why no success you ask? ill admit, miggys a bit of a freeswinger but thats gonna change next year when chavez, a more disciplined hitter steps up. kielty batted .300 against left handers with an ops of .967. and he batted 333 at the net. kotsay as you all know has the stuff but gets injured but as long as oakland keeps him healthy, hes well capable of 25-25. byrnes just needs to pace himself and oakland is all set.
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bell » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:42 am

pkarr5000 wrote:zona fans should know; theres a guy named erubiel durazo that also bats for the a's. everyone knows he walks like crazy, even more than man ram and a rod but why no success you ask? ill admit, miggys a bit of a freeswinger but thats gonna change next year when chavez, a more disciplined hitter steps up. kielty batted .300 against left handers with an ops of .967. and he batted 333 at the net. kotsay as you all know has the stuff but gets injured but as long as oakland keeps him healthy, hes well capable of 25-25. byrnes just needs to pace himself and oakland is all set.

I'll back you on Durazo, but Kotsay? 25 homers? He has yet to do that once in a season, but now that he's at the Coliseum?
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers