So is this the end for Chris Shelton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

So is this the end for Chris Shelton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

So is this the end for Chris Shelton

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:29 pm

He's quickly becoming the next coming of Josh Phelps, somebody who can seriously hit but is never given a chance. News is that he'll go to the minors and Detroit seems set on the idea of starting Casey and let Shelton rot in the minors. I was big on Shealy last year. But it's Shelton's shout out time now.

NOW FREE CHRIS SHELTON!
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:36 pm

He wouldn't have gotten a chance in Pittsburgh either now that LaRoche is in town... :-/
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby x_Momentum » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:42 pm

Yeah, it really seems like this guy isn`t going to get a chance to swing the bat wherever he goes. Definitely a sad case.
x_Momentum
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dewey finn » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:53 pm

LOL...everytime somebody brings up Shelton, I think of

Can't take credit for it though, somebody posted the comparison last year and since then that's all I think about everytime his name is mentioned LOL. Funny thing was The Goonies was on tv a few weeks ago and I kept laughing throughout.
dewey finn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mak1277 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:13 pm

So now the tally is up to two organizations that have essentially given up on Chris Shelton. And people still think he's getting a raw deal? Is it possible that the people who have jobs that require them to evaluate talent know more than we do?

Do you think Jim Leyland doesn't want to win? If Shelton were significantly better than Casey, he'd be playing. If he were really a productive major league hitter, don't you think he'd at least be on the major league roster?
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:50 pm

mak1277 wrote:So now the tally is up to two organizations that have essentially given up on Chris Shelton. And people still think he's getting a raw deal? Is it possible that the people who have jobs that require them to evaluate talent know more than we do?

Do you think Jim Leyland doesn't want to win? If Shelton were significantly better than Casey, he'd be playing. If he were really a productive major league hitter, don't you think he'd at least be on the major league roster?

He's been hitting no?

And this is hardly the first time a deserving candidate don't get any playing time. Dominik Hasek spend 3 seasons as a backup before becoming one of the best goalie ever.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mak1277 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:10 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
mak1277 wrote:So now the tally is up to two organizations that have essentially given up on Chris Shelton. And people still think he's getting a raw deal? Is it possible that the people who have jobs that require them to evaluate talent know more than we do?

He's been hitting no?

And this is hardly the first time a deserving candidate don't get any playing time. Dominik Hasek spend 3 seasons as a backup before becoming one of the best goalie ever.

Did two teams pass on Hasek though? I mean, it's not just Detroit. Pittsburgh let Shelton go for nothing.

I'm not saying he's worthless, I'm just saying I put more faith in the fact that two organizations don't think he's worthy of a job than I do in his hitting stats in a vacuum.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:12 pm

mak1277 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

He's been hitting no?

Did two teams pass on Hasek though? I mean, it's not just Detroit. Pittsburgh let Shelton go for nothing.

I'm not saying he's worthless, I'm just saying I put more faith in the fact that two organizations don't think he's worthy of a job than I do in his hitting stats in a vacuum.

2 Teams passed on Marc Savard

And it's not completely sure whether Detroit completely gave up.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mak1277 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:36 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

He's been hitting no?

2 Teams passed on Marc Savard

And it's not completely sure whether Detroit completely gave up.

I have no idea who Marc Savard is, so you've lost me with the hockey (right?) references...anyway, I do think there are guys that are not as well thought of as their raw stats would imply. I tend to believe there are reasons for that though, beyond simple bias against that player.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby roninmedia » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:12 pm

Johan Santana was drafted by the Astros, picked up the Marlins in a Rule V Draft and then traded to the Twins on the same day. :-/

Yes, I'll not betting on Shelton becoming a superstar, but I think he is capable of playing first base for a major league club. Or else, he is an unfortunate AAAA player.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers