Pettite is an Astro - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pettite is an Astro

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Hurtya » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:49 am

ABC just said it was a possibility. Though the reporter also said that it is likely pettite will give the yanks a chance, but it might be too late for NYY.
Hurtya
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:50 am

Mad.......I know you to be a neutral bystander with all Yankee affairs. Where do you stand on Pettitte? I consider myself to be objective as I can and I think that it would be a huge mistake for them to let him go for a variety of reasons:

1. He is NY proven
2. He is NY playoff proven
3. There are not many, if any, other options out there

I am not saying that he is worth #1 money but if it takes a little more than Houston is offering to get him signed, then so be it. I am really surprised that George has been quiet on this for so long considering what Boston has and will do.

Baseball is a numbers game and there are plenty to look at. I don't care what his numbers say. I go by what my eyes tell me and that is that if the Yanks have a big playoff game next year, I want him to have the ball. Vaz may turn out to be that guy but Pettitte is that guy right now.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby eftda » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:51 am

Madison wrote:
Hurtya wrote:ABC 13 Eyewitness news reports that it is possible tommorow morning Pettite will be an Astro.

The media print is saying an answer should be made by Friday now. Not Thursday like originally thought.

Siege1386 wrote:ESPN reports on Sportscenter that Pettite will give the Yankees one last chance to sign him.

Sure looks that way.

hmmm, if ESPN says so.... :-?
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Gang Green » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:54 am

Is Pettite great because he has the most postseason wins of all time? Or is he a product of his era and team? I'll vote for the latter rather than the former.

I think Pettitte is a great pitcher NOWbecause of these reasons which I stated in a previous post:
He is now, IMO, a great pitcher. Why? If you've really followed Pettitte, you will know that he used to get himself in trouble by trying to be a power pitcher when he is not a power pitcher. He also used to solely rely on the cutter to get people out. He now mixes up his pitches quite well. Ask the Red Sox, they said throughout the ALCS that the difference with Andy Pettitte this year is that they never knew what pitch was coming from him. He also has matured to the point will he will not try to overpower people. Pettitte has 4 or 5 really strong years left. If he leaves, George will have egg on his face for a long time.
I could be wrong in what I'm saying but I'll be dead before I realize it.
Gang Green
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:01 am

Lofunzo wrote:Mad.......I know you to be a neutral bystander with all Yankee affairs. Where do you stand on Pettitte? I consider myself to be objective as I can and I think that it would be a huge mistake for them to let him go for a variety of reasons:

1. He is NY proven

I am not saying that he is worth #1 money but if it takes a little more than Houston is offering to get him signed, then so be it. I am really surprised that George has been quiet on this for so long considering what Boston has and will do.

Baseball is a numbers game and there are plenty to look at. I don't care what his numbers say. I go by what my eyes tell me and that is that if the Yanks have a big playoff game next year, I want him to have the ball. Vaz may turn out to be that guy but Pettitte is that guy right now.

Well, I see both good and bad in this situation for the Yankees.

Let's start with the good:

Pettitte is a gamer. He goes out, does his job the best he can, and doesn't complain about it. Gives 110% every time he takes the mound. Always a plus to have a few guys like that on any team.

He's a lefty. I really don't make a big deal about having a staff of 5 rightys, but it really doesn't hurt to have a lefty on the staff.

Now the bad:

He's wanting staff ace money. $14 million? Are you kidding me? In this economy? That's an awful lot of dough for a guy who sports a fairly high era. Russ Ortiz anyone?

If they don't sign him, they will have to sign another pitcher. Millwood? Maddux? Going to have to cough up some money there too.

Bottom line for me, If Pettitte will take $10 million a year, then give it to him. Anything more, and let him go. I know money doesn't really seem like a big deal to the Yankees and George doesn't mind spending it, but there are better deals out there.

Personal opinion, George will probably pony up the dough. He wants to beat the new and revamped Sox and win the World Series. No matter what the cost.

We should know by the end of Friday. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Captain Crash » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:07 am

This thread was a little premature. On NYYfans.com, they have Cashman talking to Pettitte's agents right now.
Captain Crash
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:09 am

Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Mad.......I know you to be a neutral bystander with all Yankee affairs. Where do you stand on Pettitte? I consider myself to be objective as I can and I think that it would be a huge mistake for them to let him go for a variety of reasons:

1. He is NY proven

Well, I see both good and bad in this situation for the Yankees.

Let's start with the good:

Pettitte is a gamer. He goes out, does his job the best he can, and doesn't complain about it. Gives 110% every time he takes the mound. Always a plus to have a few guys like that on any team.

He's a lefty. I really don't make a big deal about having a staff of 5 rightys, but it really doesn't hurt to have a lefty on the staff.

Now the bad:

He's wanting staff ace money. $14 million? Are you kidding me? In this economy? That's an awful lot of dough for a guy who sports a fairly high era. Russ Ortiz anyone?

If they don't sign him, they will have to sign another pitcher. Millwood? Maddux? Going to have to cough up some money there too.

Bottom line for me, If Pettitte will take $10 million a year, then give it to him. Anything more, and let him go. I know money doesn't really seem like a big deal to the Yankees and George doesn't mind spending it, but there are better deals out there.

Personal opinion, George will probably pony up the dough. He wants to beat the new and revamped Sox and win the World Series. No matter what the cost.

We should know by the end of Friday. ;-)

Thanks for responding, Mad. I understand what you say. A few problems are that he's a lefty who actually does better against righty's, I believe that Millwood was offered arbitration by the Phillies (after they said they wouldn't), and Colon set the market. He is more of a power pitcher but what has he done to justify that money that Pettitte hasn't? At this stage of their careers, I would definitely take Pettitte over Maddux. There don't seem to be better options out there right now.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Siege1386 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:11 am

If Pettite takes $10 million from Houston, then the Yankees never had a chance and he or his wife just wanted to go home.
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:16 am

Lofunzo wrote:Thanks for responding, Mad. I understand what you say. A few problems are that he's a lefty who actually does better against righty's, I believe that Millwood was offered arbitration by the Phillies (after they said they wouldn't), and Colon set the market. He is more of a power pitcher but what has he done to justify that money that Pettitte hasn't? At this stage of their careers, I would definitely take Pettitte over Maddux. There don't seem to be better options out there right now.

No problem. ;-)

I agree that it's probably in the Yankees best interest to sign Pettitte, but I'd be careful of the cost. It's just hard to justify that kind of money to me. I agree about Millwood/Maddux. There just isn't a whole lot of guys to choose from. I thought Colon was going to be a Yankee for sure. Even after the Vaz trade. This would probably have been a non issue if they had gotten Colon.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Siege1386 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:22 am

It is more of a big deal to sign Pettite now. I too thought that if they didn't sign Andy then Colon would be as good as in pinstripes.
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers