Chance that Wood closes? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Chance that Wood closes?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chance that Wood closes?

Postby Jugemc » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:30 am

hi guys, Kerry wood just passed waivers after someone dropped him. I'd like to pick him up if there is any chance that he closes this year. I am weak in the saves cat. I dont want to leave him hanging around tho because our teams are 30players each 12 team league so i think he'll get picked up soon either way. so help me please.

Whats the chance that Kerry Wood closes this year?
Jugemc
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chance that Wood closes?

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:14 pm

Jugemc wrote:hi guys, Kerry wood just passed waivers after someone dropped him. I'd like to pick him up if there is any chance that he closes this year. I am weak in the saves cat. I dont want to leave him hanging around tho because our teams are 30players each 12 team league so i think he'll get picked up soon either way. so help me please.

Whats the chance that Kerry Wood closes this year?

i would pick him up. with a leauge that deep im sure theres a player on your bench you can do without. so far hes looking healthy but i think they may start him in the rotation, dont quote me on this though. pretty sure its dempsters to lose so if he does bad i think theyd have to put wood to close
10 team,H2H,5x5
C-Montero
1B-A.Gonzalez
2B-Utley
3B-Longoria
SS-Reyes
1B/3B-Morneau
2b/SS-K.Jonhson
OF-J.Upton,CarGo,Pierre
UTL-Rasmus
P-Hamels,Nolasco,W.Rodriguez,Garza,Wagner,Aardsma
BN-Span,Slowey,Liriano,E.Santana,Gregg, Pelfrey, Street
DL-B. Anderson
sadlyajetsfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Chatrain57 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:40 pm

Kerry Wood will NOT be in the rotation this season. He is going to be a reliever, that's the understanding that he, and the Cubs came to before re-signing him to a one year deal. Personally, I think that it's VERY likely that Dumpster will falter and Wood will be closing out games for the Northsiders before the season's out.
Goodnight Ladies! GOODNIGHT SIR!!!
Hit the lights sweetheart!
Chatrain57
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Y`s Guy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:26 am

I feel bad for Kerry Wood...

Kerry Wood's chances to open the season on the Cubs' active roster likely ended Sunday when the injury-plagued right-handed pitcher suffered another setback.

It was unclear whether Wood aggravated the triceps strain that sidelined him for close to two weeks this month, but a team source confirmed that Wood was hurt again after he pitched one inning of relief Sunday and that he's scheduled to be examined by the team doctor this morning.

A decision to put him on the disabled list to open the season could be announced as early as today, pending the results of the exam.

The above was from the Sun Times today

:-/
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:32 am

bob howry has done nothing to lose his setup role, in fact he should be closer based on how sorry dumpster is, and there should be no reason even before the latest setback that wood moves infront of howry on the depth chart.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:54 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:bob howry has done nothing to lose his setup role, in fact he should be closer based on how sorry dumpster is, and there should be no reason even before the latest setback that wood moves infront of howry on the depth chart.

And with the latest setback the question shouldn't be whether Wood will close this year...it should be how much he'll even be able to pitch.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Geek » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:28 pm

Howry is more valuable than Wood. Wood is just the bigger name.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:56 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:bob howry has done nothing to lose his setup role, in fact he should be closer based on how sorry dumpster is, and there should be no reason even before the latest setback that wood moves infront of howry on the depth chart.

thats how i feel. even if wood pitches well this year the cubs may (should) have some reservations about him going on back to back days.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:10 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:

thats how i feel. even if wood pitches well this year the cubs may (should) have some reservations about him going on back to back days.

I definitely agree with you on the back-to-back days issue.

I've said it before, probably as far back as the beginning of 2006, and I'll say it again here. Wood is a unique pitcher in that his injury issues make him unsuited to start because he fatigues after about 50-60 pitches but at the same time he can't recover quickly enough to pitch back-to-back days as is usually required from relievers.

Some teams would view that as a problem but I think if a team would use him correctly it would actually be a boon. He's got the repertoire and stamina to pitch 2-3 innings easily. He could recover from that type of an outing in 2-3 days. Why not pitch him 2-3 times a week (maybe 52-65 outings on the year) and use him for 2-3 innings in each one of those outings for a total workload of 104-195 innings? That's a big range there but it would probably work out somewhere in the 110-125 range. He could give you way more innings than your typical reliever that way but they would be within the bounds of what his arm can handle. It puts more planning into things as you need to make sure you don't overwork the other arms in the pen on the other days but that's a small price to pay for 110-125 innings of a healthy Kerry Wood.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby dc928 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:03 pm

I have Wood in my team and just drop him after the latest set back. Even before the set back he is on hot waters anyways. I don't think anyone should waste time on him. I agree with the previous posting, Bob Howry probably have more value than him. With his faigue he probably can't be count on as a regular closer who has to pitch at least 3 to 5 times a week.
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates