Hank Blalock - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hank Blalock

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hank Blalock

Postby kentx12 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:03 am

Will he continue his success or have a sophmore slump "hinske"
And what does everyone think his numbers will be for next year?
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Area51's » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:24 am

I like to hope that he got a lot of the slump out of him in 2002 when he was jerked around. I felt that he started to tail a bit right after the break (and at the time I traded him for Santana), but then he finished strong.

So....I think he'll be fine. Its early, and who knows what the Texas line-up will look like, but a guess would be:

310/360/520 32 HR 100 RBI 3 SB

The kid is definitely talented, and he could bat in front of A-rod, if he stays.
If I were playing third base and my mother were rounding third with the run that was going to beat us, I'd trip her. Oh, I'd pick her up and brush her off and say, 'Sorry, Mom,' but nobody beats me.
Leo Durocher, Brooklyn Dodgers Manager
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:28 pm

I think he will be good again next year. He does need to learn to hit leftys a little better though. I'd say somewhere around .290-30-100. Now if Arod leaves, that could change a little. Hitting in front of Arod has some advantages. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:08 pm

Hopefully instead of a sophomore slump, he had a "rookie" slump, based on his rookie year numbers. That Rangers lineup could look a little different next year. Which could have an effect on Blalock's performance.

I expect improvement from Blalock, and Teixeira as well. they could be quite a duo for some years to come.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby yeyo44 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:46 pm

He will be ok, but the problem is not really with him...its with arod. Its always nice to have arod hit behind you. But I guess if Manny comes, it helps a bit. The key is keeping him in that # 2 hole.
yeyo44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shortsavage » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:26 pm

Although A-Rod may not be in the Texas lineup next season, the aquisition of Ramirez will probably be like a 75% compensation, and I think Michael Young's lead-off skills will span a decent portion of the remaining gap (in the case that A-Rod leaves), giving Blalock more RBI chances and catalyzing steady progression in his MLB career.

Michael Young (2002)
Average: .262
Runs: 77
SB: 6
OBP: .308

Michael Young (2003)
Average: .306 +.044
Runs: 106 +29
SB: 13 +7 *he stole 30 in the minors in 1999
OBP: .339 +.031

Maybe Young and Blalock are having mutualistic affects on eachother. And, perhaps they will show more strength as they continue to grow at the major league level.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby LCBOY » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:30 pm

BLaock is a potential batting champion. If he improves against lefties he will hit .340-.350. In view of his age he ceiling is high. As a hitter he could be George Brett.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Erboes » Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:16 pm

George Brett?

Going by historical norms, Blalock has a 67% chance of either bettering his production from last season by at least $5 or doing worse by at least $5. My money is on the -$5 or worse.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LCBOY » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:02 pm

Erboes wrote:George Brett?

Going by historical norms, Blalock has a 67% chance of either bettering his production from last season by at least $5 or doing worse by at least $5. My money is on the -$5 or worse.

So, in effect, you are saying that Blalock will either be better or be worse in 2004. Thanks you for that insight. I'm sure we will all benefit from it. :-°
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Erboes » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:19 pm

Look, LCBoy, most people rely heavily on last season's numbers and that is usually a mistake. If that is obvious to you I'm proud of you, but it may not be for everyone. Of those who wagered a guess only you didn't have him about the same as last season, and since you wanted to usher him into the hall of fame already I thought that I should counter it with some reason. If you want to get smart with me that is fine, Boy, but don't expect me to take it with a smile.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers