TSN's FIRST 2004 Mock - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

TSN's FIRST 2004 Mock

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wp001g » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:37 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i like that he calls brian giles 'a reach' at the 70th pick (6th round) but doesnt say a damn thing about adam dunn going 68th. the thing that gets me is that people are actually going to be paying to get the rest of this? presumably there is something better in the rest of the hand book but i am not in too much of a hurry to find out what it is.

Giles was hurt for a good month last season, and was playing catch up for sometime after he started playing as well. Not too mention playing with a ton of trade rumors for a majority of the season. I predict he'll have one of his finest seasons this year in the new Padres Stadium, (which is suppose to be more hitter friendly -- and how could it not be?) a stacked lineup and being close to home.

.310 AVG, 110 R, 35 HR, 130 RBI, 10 SB
wp001g
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Using TSN and two other mock drafts this year...

Postby swarmee » Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:17 pm

I won a 20 team league in my first ever attempt. I just took the selection numbers for each player and averaged them, then selected in that order almost exclusively. Some of the people that they're picking to have big next years will not, but based on their judgement, I picked up some major talent in the later rounds of the draft that played solid throughout the year for me.
If you're joining or playing in your first serpentine league, that's definitely a strategy that will help a newbie. Most of the people in this league were 2-10 year veterans of fantasy baseball, and I put them all to shame with $15 in magazines. ;-)
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Area51's » Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:17 pm

joshheines wrote:I just saw this mock draft on Yahoo. Good lord, that is the WORST draft I have ever seen in my five years of fantasy baseball. Like Madison, I don't have the time to point out all of the ridiculous picks, but here are some lowlights.

25. Mariano Rivera, P Please, we're arguing in the cafe if Gagne is worth a 2nd round pick!
50. Brandon Webb, P - The end of the 5th round??? There must have been better pitchers available
95. Shannon Stewart, OF Someone tell these guys, MVP candidate does NOT mean fantasy stud. Stewart does almost nothing well anymore from a fantasy perspective.
21. John Smoltz, P - Please, suckers. Gagne got taken with the 19th pick and these "experts" fell for an early run.
93. Derek Lowe, P - Not the worst pick, but Lowe should go much lower
20. Chipper Jones, OF - Find me an outfielder who doesn't hit .300-30-100 nowadays. There must be 10 of them. And Chipper isn't young.
30. Vernon Wells, OF How. How. How does a young stud drop this far?
7. Alfonso Soriano, 2B Yup, most 35-35 2B should be taken this late! :-o Not that it's late but if you don't take Soriano in your first 5 your draft has some fools and you better exploit them!
42. Billy Wagner, P Again, the fourth round for a closer? Seriously.
9. Carlos Beltran, OF Beltran at 9? See Soriano. Not the worst pick, but he is a 5 category stud and should be taken above guys like Pedro.
16. Todd Helton, 1B -.350-30-120runs-120RBI at the 16th pick. Wow!
112. Joe Mauer, C -Experts?!?!?! Drafting Mauer in the 10th round! COME ON GUYS! HE'S NOT GOING TO BE THAT GOOD NEXT YEAR.
14. Eric Chavez, 3B - Do I really need to explain this one? Who is going to protect him, Mr. Expert. Tell me that huh?
37. Orlando Cabrera, SS - I refuse! My only comment is Jeter was taken about 25 picks LATER!
108. Mike Young, 2B - There just had to be someone better here.
109. Jorge Julio, P - Julio, of the 1.50 WHIP!

I put Gagne in here for the sake of comparison to Rivera and Smoltz.
19. Eric Gagne, P

This draft is very good for one thing. Not everyone does a lot of research. My keeper league maintains a year round web board. I plan on posting this "mock" draft there and hopefully people believe that Helton is the 16th pick overall or that Rivera and Smoltz are 2nd round picks, just under Gagne!

Good idea! Using it as subterfuge! I guess there is a use for that thing after all. Dunn & Helton appear to be the biggest mistakes. Pretty cool that they let all their employees participate in a draft; accountants, valets, security guards.

They should do one w/ just their baseball guys sometime ;-)
If I were playing third base and my mother were rounding third with the run that was going to beat us, I'd trip her. Oh, I'd pick her up and brush her off and say, 'Sorry, Mom,' but nobody beats me.
Leo Durocher, Brooklyn Dodgers Manager
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:14 pm

7. Alfonso Soriano, 2B Yup, most 35-35 2B should be taken this late! Not that it's late but if you don't take Soriano in your first 5 your draft has some fools and you better exploit them!

I was shocked too. I have Soriano going #2 overall if he stays with the Yankees. Still a top 5 even if he goes to the Orioles! LOL

not too many guys that can do back to back 35/35...not to mention at 2b!
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby LBJackal » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:23 pm

Eric Chavez over Todd Helton. WOW................... :-P

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mtarail » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:49 pm

I like the mock drafts too. Lots of people read them so even if you disagree it gives you ideas about where other people in your league might pick up players. As far as I'm concerned looking at fantasy drafts, whether "real" drafts or mock drafts, before your own draft can help you out--with ideas, strategies, and players to avoid.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby yellowdog » Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:34 am

I would like to be in a big money league with some of these experts. One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Johann Santana sliding to #83. If Brandon Webb is #50, Santana must be top 20 at least.
"It's like a full-body dry-heave set to music"
yellowdog
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers