It's Mock's like this that make me glad I'm a Cafe member :-°

I just go here and get the majority of rankings and info I need ;-D
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jivedude » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:46 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i like that he calls brian giles 'a reach' at the 70th pick (6th round) but doesnt say a damn thing about adam dunn going 68th. the thing that gets me is that people are actually going to be paying to get the rest of this? presumably there is something better in the rest of the hand book but i am not in too much of a hurry to find out what it is.

They have the last 3 year's stats for every player as well as rankings, player values, projections, etc
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby tlef316 » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:46 pm

the rest of the book was very good last year. i bought the magazine mostly for something to read, but it ended up being a good buy. it provides projections from Ron Shandler as well as auction dollar values, the mock draft and some decent articles on strategy and player movement. it also got me interested in TSN's ultimate fantasy baseball, which is alot of fun. UFB netted me $50 this past season, so i guess i sort of made a profit on the book.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:08 pm

That is a terrible mock. I don't have the time or inclination to try and point out everything that makes no sense right now. :-/

Maybe later. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ramble2 » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:12 pm

Vinnie Iyer? Um, ya think this was his first draft ever? Or mayb he drew the short straw and had to try the 'pitching and steals' first strategy.

Still, of the fantasy guides, I do like TSNs. They tend to provide a lot of stats, and will sometime have more than one mock draft. Just remember not to put too much stock in anything you read in a fantasy mag/book. They are just about finished putting together their projections and rankings!
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby joshheines » Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:07 am

I just saw this mock draft on Yahoo. Good lord, that is the WORST draft I have ever seen in my five years of fantasy baseball. Like Madison, I don't have the time to point out all of the ridiculous picks, but here are some lowlights.

25. Mariano Rivera, P Please, we're arguing in the cafe if Gagne is worth a 2nd round pick!
50. Brandon Webb, P - The end of the 5th round??? There must have been better pitchers available
95. Shannon Stewart, OF Someone tell these guys, MVP candidate does NOT mean fantasy stud. Stewart does almost nothing well anymore from a fantasy perspective.
21. John Smoltz, P - Please, suckers. Gagne got taken with the 19th pick and these "experts" fell for an early run.
93. Derek Lowe, P - Not the worst pick, but Lowe should go much lower
20. Chipper Jones, OF - Find me an outfielder who doesn't hit .300-30-100 nowadays. There must be 10 of them. And Chipper isn't young.
30. Vernon Wells, OF How. How. How does a young stud drop this far?
7. Alfonso Soriano, 2B Yup, most 35-35 2B should be taken this late! :-o Not that it's late but if you don't take Soriano in your first 5 your draft has some fools and you better exploit them!
42. Billy Wagner, P Again, the fourth round for a closer? Seriously.
9. Carlos Beltran, OF Beltran at 9? See Soriano. Not the worst pick, but he is a 5 category stud and should be taken above guys like Pedro.
16. Todd Helton, 1B -.350-30-120runs-120RBI at the 16th pick. Wow!
112. Joe Mauer, C -Experts?!?!?! Drafting Mauer in the 10th round! COME ON GUYS! HE'S NOT GOING TO BE THAT GOOD NEXT YEAR.
14. Eric Chavez, 3B - Do I really need to explain this one? Who is going to protect him, Mr. Expert. Tell me that huh?
37. Orlando Cabrera, SS - I refuse! My only comment is Jeter was taken about 25 picks LATER!
108. Mike Young, 2B - There just had to be someone better here.
109. Jorge Julio, P - Julio, of the 1.50 WHIP!

I put Gagne in here for the sake of comparison to Rivera and Smoltz.
19. Eric Gagne, P

This draft is very good for one thing. Not everyone does a lot of research. My keeper league maintains a year round web board. I plan on posting this "mock" draft there and hopefully people believe that Helton is the 16th pick overall or that Rivera and Smoltz are 2nd round picks, just under Gagne!
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby tlef316 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:10 am

i dont have a problem with the mike young pick. his stats are good, and he is young
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:10 am

I don't have time to point out all the horrible picks either. But Chipper before Sheff? I think Sheff is going early in many drafts, and I disagree, but Chipper before Sheffield? Jeez. These people are idiots.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby LBJackal » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:42 am

tlef316 wrote:i dont have a problem with the mike young pick. his stats are good, and he is young

Of course he's Young, what's your point :-b

And I have to agree with everybody, what a BS mock draft. I hope all the newbies in my leagues read this thinking they have the "inside track". I'm so glad there's alwas the Cafe to rely on ;-) and look how many mock drafts we already have up from real experts. In our auction keeper eague going on right now I tihnk we should submit our results to be put on the cheat sheets page. Everything seems to be going well, and you don't see too many auction mock's after all, so why not have the real tihng, right.

BTW: In a keeper league that I'm in, with no other members of the Cafe in it (and a bunch of others I know - It's like there's a pool of 30 guys I play all my leagues with :-B ) they posted a mock draft to give everybody an idea of where to draft guys this year. To my surprise, it was from the Cafe 8-o so now I'm getting worried that my secret is out :~(

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:15 am

LBJackal wrote:In our auction keeper eague going on right now I tihnk we should submit our results to be put on the cheat sheets page.

Works for me... :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers