Ok Foulke, cough it up already. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ok Foulke, cough it up already.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ok Foulke, cough it up already.

Postby MashinSpuds » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:22 pm

From Rotoworld:

Keith Foulke is still hopeful of receiving a better offer from the A's or the Red Sox. "It's still kind of up in the air," Foulke said Monday night. "It will probably depend on if Oakland really tries to do something." Oakland has made the closer a four-year offer believed to be worth more than $20 million but not as much as the $24 million that has been previously reported. Boston reportedly has presented Foulke with a three-year deal with a vested option for a fourth year that could total $26 million. Foulke's decision still figures to come this week.

Ok, so on the way in today I'm thinking hmm, the main reason Foulke hasn't decided where he wants to play is b/c he can't decide if he wants a change of scenery or not. I thought it wasn't about the money (currently relatively similar deals, although diff. years) nor was it about the team's chances (both are contenders). I thought Mr.Foulke was debating which city has better hoagies, Oakland or Boston.

Then he pulls this 'I'm waiting for a better offer' crap. Listen buddy, you're a decent closer and all but what kind of cash are you expecting... ARod numbers? True, this may be a ploy to up the price due to Eddie G's signing with the Mariners, but dammit I'm getting impatient here.

Twiddling my thumbs...
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:25 pm

It'd be nice if he'd make a decision. He seems to be stringing the teams along. I'm not sure what the A's would do if he signed with them anyway; do they really have that money? There's not much of a market for him beyond those two teams.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Area51's » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:36 pm

I think I can hear young master Beane start sweating, thinking "he really might sign it?"
If I were playing third base and my mother were rounding third with the run that was going to beat us, I'd trip her. Oh, I'd pick her up and brush her off and say, 'Sorry, Mom,' but nobody beats me.
Leo Durocher, Brooklyn Dodgers Manager
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MashinSpuds » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:41 pm

Trans: true. Considering the money he's trying to get out of Oakland and Boston I don't think there's too many other teams willing to spend at that level. I just read that the Blue Jays are looking for a closer, but might sign Benitez, Jimenez, or DeJean. :-[ Knowing the alternatives, I really really hope the Sox get Foulke and don't resort to settling for one of those other guys. :-t
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Postby L0rdB23 » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:54 pm

shat would sox fans do lets say foulke stays in oakland and the sox sign benitez.. would the fans be able to deal with havin benitez and kim on the same team??.. u would have a huge jump in heart attacks in bean town this year
L0rdB23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:04 pm

L0rdB23 wrote:shat would sox fans do lets say foulke stays in oakland and the sox sign benitez.. would the fans be able to deal with havin benitez and kim on the same team??.. u would have a huge jump in heart attacks in bean town this year

It's much easier to understand you if you write in complete sentences.

And, for the record, there is no way we sign Benitez unless he comes very, very cheap.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:05 pm

I think Foulke would like to stay, but if Oakland doesn't sign a bat soon he will leave. I'm sure he wants to play for a winner and if the A's are not going to have an offense next year, then Foulke will go to Boston.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby MashinSpuds » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:30 pm

Madison wrote:I think Foulke would like to stay, but if Oakland doesn't sign a bat soon he will leave. I'm sure he wants to play for a winner and if the A's are not going to have an offense next year, then Foulke will go to Boston.

Actually, that's true. Tejada will probably leave, Long is already gone... Dye can't carry the team!

Maybe he's hoping the A's sign Vlad. Maybe he should be paying more attention to these ARod talks.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:34 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:
Madison wrote:I think Foulke would like to stay, but if Oakland doesn't sign a bat soon he will leave. I'm sure he wants to play for a winner and if the A's are not going to have an offense next year, then Foulke will go to Boston.

Actually, that's true. Tejada will probably leave, Long is already gone... Dye can't carry the team!

Maybe he's hoping the A's sign Vlad. Maybe he should be paying more attention to these ARod talks.

Right now all that Oakland has is Chavez. He can't carry them. If the don't get a bat or two to help, then it will be a long season for A's fans. Foulke probably doesn't want to be a part of that when he knows that Boston is going to win games.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:05 pm

Madison wrote:
MashinSpuds wrote:

Right now all that Oakland has is Chavez. He can't carry them. If the don't get a bat or two to help, then it will be a long season for A's fans. Foulke probably doesn't want to be a part of that when he knows that Boston is going to win games.

But if he looks at the market and what Beane has done in the past, he has to know that the A's are not going to sign a bat, especially with his contract. The A's can't afford Foulke plus a bat.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers