Henry angry, responds: Nomar talks strained - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Henry angry, responds: Nomar talks strained

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:58 pm

Erboes wrote:You've seen him more than me, but watching him play last year it seemed like he has become nothing more than a sloppy pull hitter who either peppers it off the wall or grounds to the SS. Judging by his splits, his average could plummet but his homers should increase. Am I mistaken?

From his splits, yes. But I don't see it happening. I think his power will go down as he tries to pepper more open field. But that's me.

Nomar is still a very good hitter. I'll defer to Simmons, who says it perfectly:

There's a nagging sense that, like Julia Roberts, Nomar's best days are behind him. It's not like he's washed up -- he just isn't someone who gets mentioned in those "Who's the next guy to hit .400?" articles anymore. At his absolute apex, he strode to the plate, did his "Rain Man" routine with his gloves, swung at the first pitch -- whether it was at his head, his feet, rolling to the plate, or whatever -- and belted the living hell out of it. He sprayed line drives like a machine gun. It was almost freakish. And then he broke his wrist ... and three years have passed, and he's settled into that ".301 BA, .340 OBP, 25 HR, 115 RBI" stage of his career. Yeah, it's good enough to make the All-Star team. But it's not the same Nomar.

The bottom line: You can pitch to this guy. Good teams get him out, as we discovered during the playoffs. There's a difference between A) somebody slumping because they're in a funk; and B) somebody slumping because they don't study pitchers, they swing at bad pitches, and their reflexes have slipped just enough -- maybe just 5 percent,but enough -- that they can't get away with the "I'm going up there and swinging away!" approach once they hit their 30s. Barring a dramatic turn, Nomar seems destined to follow Jim Rice's lead, another physical marvel who peaked early in his career, then became a solid All-Star -- but not a superstar, and certainly not your ideal choice when you needed a hit -- for the remainder of his career.

(Can you win a World Series with him? Absolutely. Will I tell my grandkids that I watched him play some day? Not this current version. He couldn't hold a candle to the guy from the '99 and '00 seasons. It's not even a fair comparison -- it's like comparing Jessica Biel to Jessica Alba. Hey, you're fine with Jessica Biel. She may even appear in a few All-Star Games. But Jessica Alba ... good Lord.)

I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:10 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:I just don't understand this, if this is true. Nomar was actually offered four years at 20 million and he said NO?? What the heck was he smoking? And then he's amazed that they want to lower their offer when the market plummets. Crazy.

Hey Trans! :-D

This is twice I caught you on this----think for a second. 4 years, $20 million? What team wouldn't pay Nomar $5 million a year? :-D Lol. :-b I think you've got your numbers mixed up somewhere. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby timkell » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:11 pm

Well, if this is true, then I stand corrected about my previous Nomar comments.

Nomar better fire that agent if it is true!
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby timkell » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:26 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
Erboes wrote:You've seen him more than me, but watching him play last year it seemed like he has become nothing more than a sloppy pull hitter who either peppers it off the wall or grounds to the SS. Judging by his splits, his average could plummet but his homers should increase. Am I mistaken?

I don't know if he's as good as he was, but he's still awesome. A lot more than a sloppy pull hitter.

He had a terrible September, which brought down his stats. That obviously crept into the playoffs as well, but how could it not be called a slump?

Here's his monthly stats:
2003 stats by month
Month G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K AVG OBP SLG
April 25 110 21 30 6 1 5 13 6 11 .273 .314 .482
May 26 109 23 37 9 4 5 27 3 8 .339 .356 .633
June 26 113 25 45 8 7 2 16 10 6 .398 .444 .646
July 26 104 15 28 7 0 5 16 8 10 .269 .342 .481
Aug 28 123 20 40 5 1 6 18 5 17 .325 .346 .528
Sep 24 94 15 16 2 0 5 15 7 8 .170 .248 .351
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Erboes » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:31 pm

Funny, but a few weeks ago I suggested these very same things about Nomar and was labeled a heretic and called unprintable names by people I will not mention, and now it's become accepted as fact? What's changed? Where are all the Nomar orgasmists now?
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AC Rounders » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:00 pm

According to one team source, the Red Sox offered $60 million over four years in spring training

$60 mil divided by 4 years = ....... $15 mil/ year

I had to correct that, the 2 of you were driving me nuts with the math skills. :-B
AC Rounders Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:08 pm

Madison wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:I just don't understand this, if this is true. Nomar was actually offered four years at 20 million and he said NO?? What the heck was he smoking? And then he's amazed that they want to lower their offer when the market plummets. Crazy.

This is twice I caught you on this----think for a second. 4 years, $20 million? What team wouldn't pay Nomar $5 million a year? :-D Lol. :-b I think you've got your numbers mixed up somewhere. :-D

8-o Yeah, yeah. I can't type. Nonetheless, $15 mill per year is pretty damn good. Where was the second one?
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby ramble2 » Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:50 pm

AC Rounders wrote:
According to one team source, the Red Sox offered $60 million over four years in spring training

I had to correct that, the 2 of you were driving me nuts with the math skills. :-B

LOL :-D

I have a crazy idea. Why isn't Boston trying to sign Tejada (or are they? Anyone know?). Forget the whole A Rod thing. You can sign Tejada in a down market, and convince either him or Nomar to play 2nd for next season. Then you've got a lineup with Nomar, Manny and Tejada in it - and an upgrade defensively at 2b. I'd rather have that then a lineup with A Rod and X at LF and Y at 2nd.

Then if Nomar leaves after next year, you've still got a top SS. If Nomar and Henry can make nice, then you've got a real nice MI to compete with Jeter and Soriano (or whoever they get to play 2nd when they finally move Soriano to 2b).

Okay, I know it's nuts, and it's total speculation, but it makes some sense, right? All you gotta do is convince Tejada to play 2nd. No problem. Okay, maybe that's a little bit of a problem, but Theo talked Curt into Boston, is on the verge of convincing A Rod to restructure his contract, apparently has convinced Henry that it's wise to invest $30-35 million in the SS position, so why not get Tejada to take a turn at 2B?
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Madison » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:39 pm

AC Rounders wrote:

Lol. :-b Both times I quoted Trans, he had written 4 years, $20 million. My math is right. :-D Lol. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:40 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
Madison wrote:

8-o Yeah, yeah. I can't type. Nonetheless, $15 mill per year is pretty damn good. Where was the second one?

Lol. :-D

$15 million per year is a very good deal right now. Shoulda took it.

The other one's in a thread around here somewhere. Lol. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers