Henry angry, responds: Nomar talks strained - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Henry angry, responds: Nomar talks strained

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Henry angry, responds: Nomar talks strained

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:38 pm

This could get ugly.

Henry: Nomar contract negotiations strained
By Bob Hohler, Globe Staff, 12/9/2003

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Red Sox owner John Henry said today that negotiations for a contract extension with shortstop Nomar Garciaparra are strained.

Calling it the "height of hypocrisy," Henry criticized Garciaparra's agent Arn Tellem for his recent comments about the team's trade talks involving Alex Rodriguez.

Tellem told the Globe earlier this week that the Red Sox' pursuit of Rodriguez was a "slap in the face" to his client and that Garciaparra's goal "has always been to return to the Red Sox and play out his entire career in Boston."

"He says we are being disingenuous,'' Henry said from the Dominican Republic where the Red Sox are opening a new facility. "I take great umbrage in that. It is the height of hypocrisy to make statements like that. I hope he is being more honest with his client than he is with media."

Garciaparra, who is in the final year of his contract and will make $11.5 million in 2004, has been negotiating with the Red Sox for an extension. Henry said the Red Sox made substantial offers to Garciaparra in the spring and again after the playoffs but those offers were rejected by Tellem.

According to one team source, the Red Sox offered $60 million over four years in spring training. In November, as the baseball market began to show effects of the new collective bargaining agreement with less money being offered to top players, the Red Sox changed their offer to between $12 and $13 million per year for four years. When Tellem objected to the market contraction, according to another team source, the Red Sox began looking into a trade for Rodriguez, which had been initiated by an earlier inquiry from the Rangers. The Sox and Rangers have been looking at a trade of Manny Ramirez to Texas for Rodriguez. If that move were made, the Sox likely would then look to trade Garciaparra.

"We have made incredible offers and the reason we are proceeding as if we're not going to be able to sign Nomar is because his agent has given us every indication that there is no common ground,'' Henry said. "He seems to believe it is the winter of 2000."

In December of 2000, for example, Rodriguez signed a $252 million deal for 10 years with Texas, and the Red Sox signed Manny Ramirez for $160 million for eight years. This year, Seattle offered Oakland A's free agent shortstop Miguel Tejada, the AL MVP in 2002, a deal worth approximately $8 million per year.

Henry said Tellem's comments could damage the negotiations. "When someone says that your are being disingenuous and you should be honest with the player -- and he said that publicly -- he (should) not dare say it publicly because he knows it's hooey,'' Henry said.

On Monday, Garciaparra told WEEI "to hear from your employers, you know, that they're even thinking about doing this after all the stuff that you've done ... it leaves you scratching your head and has people wondering."

I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chinch sacs » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:47 pm

If Ratface pisses Henry off anymore, he might end up where they "want a superstar"... in Baltimore
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:57 pm

Yep, could get very nasty. 8-o This doesn't look good for Nomar. He better hope he's traded. Staying could certainly damage his season.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Erboes » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:17 pm

I hope the jackass gets traded to Detroit for Nate Cornejo.

Check out this analysis from TSN:

We can't imagine a change of venue for Nomar -- but we can't imagine his stats taking a tumble because of a move, either.

I assume that everyone here at the Cafe will get a nice chuckle out of this wonderful piece of analysis by the fellas at TSN.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:26 pm

I just don't understand this, if this is true. Nomar was actually offered four years at 20 million and he said NO?? What the heck was he smoking? And then he's amazed that they want to lower their offer when the market plummets. Crazy.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Area51's » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:30 pm

Erboes wrote:I hope the jackass gets traded to Detroit for Nate Cornejo.

We can't imagine a change of venue for Nomar -- but we can't imagine his stats taking a tumble because of a move, either.

I assume that everyone here at the Cafe will get a nice chuckle out of this wonderful piece of analysis by the fellas at TSN.

DEEP DEEP Insight! :-o
If I were playing third base and my mother were rounding third with the run that was going to beat us, I'd trip her. Oh, I'd pick her up and brush her off and say, 'Sorry, Mom,' but nobody beats me.
Leo Durocher, Brooklyn Dodgers Manager
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:44 pm

Well, that seals it. TSN is full of idiots. If he goes to say, the Dodgers, his numbers will drop. Similar average, but less power, runs, RBIs.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Jivedude » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:49 pm

Area51's wrote:

DEEP DEEP Insight! :-o

Come on, Nomar hit .359 at home and .243 on the road last year! He's going to be the next Fred Lynn! Brilliant analysis TSN! Geez :-t
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Erboes » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:51 pm

You've seen him more than me, but watching him play last year it seemed like he has become nothing more than a sloppy pull hitter who either peppers it off the wall or grounds to the SS. Judging by his splits, his average could plummet but his homers should increase. Am I mistaken?
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby shortsavage » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:55 pm

If I was into this kind of drama, I would watch soap operas.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers