Guardado to sign with Mariners - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Guardado to sign with Mariners

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who closes for Minn/Hou

Postby tobymc » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:28 pm

If I had to GUESS, I'd say Romero in Minnesota. He's about the closest thing they've got to a closer anymore. Lefy with high heat, and a wicked slider, he could be good, but unproven. They're still working, I wouldn't be surprised if they make a trade.

Haven't read anthing definitive in Hou, but you gotta like Dotel, though he seems to be flourishing in the set up role. Lidge looked a little shaky after a solid start last year. Another trade possibility...
tobymc

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby ukjohn » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:33 pm

Jesse Crain in Minnesota

dominant closer in Triple A last year, and he looks to be the favorite unless they get Benitez or someone like that.

Dotel is nice, but I think Lidge is the best option for them
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby d » Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:19 pm

nsulham wrote:Interesting 'pen up in Seattle now. Does Sasaki go back to Japan as has been the talk? Guess there also goes any chance of Soriano or Shiggy claiming the closer's role. Interesting.

Yeah, there is rumor around saying sasaki may go back to Japan to pitch ...
d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ramble2 » Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:31 pm

ukjohn wrote:Jesse Crain in Minnesota

dominant closer in Triple A last year, and he looks to be the favorite unless they get Benitez or someone like that.

Dotel is nice, but I think Lidge is the best option for them

This will be a very interesting situation to watch. Closers in the minors very rarely go on to become successful closers in the majors. Most MLB closers are converted starters (either from the minors or with ML experience).

Ron Shandler's Baseball Forecaster wrote:From 1990-1995, there were 104 incidences of 20-save performances in Double-A and Triple-A, which were accomplished by 89 different pitchers.
Of those 89, only 23 ever made it to the majors.
Of those 23, only 7 ever closed any games.
Of those 7, only 3 ever became full-time closers: John Wetteland, Mark Wohlers, and Ricky Bottalico.
Three pitchers out of 89, a successful conversion rate of 3%. Not exactly fertile ground.

Definitely a situation to keep an eye on.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby eftda » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:23 pm

I dont blame him, the Twins are not that good
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ukjohn » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:45 pm

eftda wrote:I dont blame him, the Twins are not that good

:-?

they have won the division the last 2-3 years, and are one of the most exciting teams to watch in MLB. sure can't say that about your Giants. they have won a championship in the last 13 years. sure can't say that about your Giants.
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:02 pm

Nisly wrote:Anybody know who'll close for the twins now that Eddie's gone? Also along these lines, who will close for Houston? Will it be Dotel or Lidge?

Probably a free agent, but J.C. Romero or Jesse Crain could get a shot in Minnesota.

Dotel is the closer in Houston.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby eftda » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:19 pm

ukjohn wrote:
eftda wrote:I dont blame him, the Twins are not that good

:-?

they have won the division the last 2-3 years, and are one of the most exciting teams to watch in MLB. sure can't say that about your Giants. they have won a championship in the last 13 years. sure can't say that about your Giants.

The twins play in the Al central, the weakest out of all 6 divisions... the royals, White Sox, Twins, Indians and Tigers... oh my! Sounds like a boring game. Also, the twins of 91 are not the same as the twins of 04! thats more than 10 year diff...
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:47 am

matrick wrote:
Area51's wrote:I just don't think the Mariners are really addressing their needs that well w/ their signings. Ibanez was OK, but they paid way too much, both in terms of $ and the draft picks they gave up. I'm sure they have a plan, but I don't see the genius behind it.

I like the Mariners signings so far. Ibanez is an upgrade in the outfield, and a left-handed bat with power that they really needed.

Raul isn't a power bat. Seattle knew Cammy was asking for too much, plus Cammy hated Safeco, said he couldn't see there. Seattle had no plans on going for Vlad. The CEO Howard Lincoln, likes the gate revenue, but won't go the extra mile to win.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby matrick » Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:18 am

HOOTIE wrote:
matrick wrote:
Area51's wrote:I just don't think the Mariners are really addressing their needs that well w/ their signings. Ibanez was OK, but they paid way too much, both in terms of $ and the draft picks they gave up. I'm sure they have a plan, but I don't see the genius behind it.

I like the Mariners signings so far. Ibanez is an upgrade in the outfield, and a left-handed bat with power that they really needed.

Raul isn't a power bat. Seattle knew Cammy was asking for too much, plus Cammy hated Safeco, said he couldn't see there. Seattle had no plans on going for Vlad. The CEO Howard Lincoln, likes the gate revenue, but won't go the extra mile to win.

I didn't say he was Barry Bonds, but Ibanez does have gap power with 37 doubles in 2002 to go along with a .537 slugging pct. and 24 home runs. Basicly, he will add more power to the left field position than the Mariners had in 2003. Which isn't hard to do.
matrick
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers