Guardado to sign with Mariners - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Guardado to sign with Mariners

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Guardado to sign with Mariners

Postby matrick » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:05 pm

-seattle pi-

The Mariners released their 2004 season schedule yesterday, which includes a May 11-13 stop in Minnesota.

That trip figures to be a homecoming of sorts for Eddie Guardado, who is set to become a Mariner by the end of the workweek.

A pair of sources close to the Mariners said yesterday the left-handed reliever, who saved 41 games for the Twins last season, would sign with the Mariners in the next day or two.

"It's going to happen; it's just a matter of when," one of the sources said.

Guardado will get a three-year contract for about $14 million. The Twins paid Guardado $2.7 million last year.

Minnesota reportedly offered him a three-year deal at $12 million, but the lefty from California's central valley opted to move to the West Coast with Seattle.
matrick
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Area51's » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:15 pm

I just don't think the Mariners are really addressing their needs that well w/ their signings. Ibanez was OK, but they paid way too much, both in terms of $ and the draft picks they gave up. I'm sure they have a plan, but I don't see the genius behind it.
If I were playing third base and my mother were rounding third with the run that was going to beat us, I'd trip her. Oh, I'd pick her up and brush her off and say, 'Sorry, Mom,' but nobody beats me.
Leo Durocher, Brooklyn Dodgers Manager
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nsulham » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:18 pm

Everyday Eddie with the M's?

Didn't see that one coming :-?

Interesting 'pen up in Seattle now. Does Sasaki go back to Japan as has been the talk? Guess there also goes any chance of Soriano or Shiggy claiming the closer's role. Interesting.

Sox better hope Foulke signs with them becase option #2 just disappeared 8-o
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby matrick » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:34 pm

Area51's wrote:I just don't think the Mariners are really addressing their needs that well w/ their signings. Ibanez was OK, but they paid way too much, both in terms of $ and the draft picks they gave up. I'm sure they have a plan, but I don't see the genius behind it.

I like the Mariners signings so far. Ibanez is an upgrade in the outfield, and a left-handed bat with power that they really needed. Guardado is a slight upgrade compared to Arthur Rhodes as a left-handed set up pitcher. Re-signing Hasagawa was a nice move as well. However, real success this off-season for the Mariners is going to depend on if they can get Tejada signed or not.
matrick
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ukjohn » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:45 pm

their bullpen is flat nasty

Guadardo
Sasaki
Soriano
Hasagawa

all four could be dominant closers
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:20 pm

ukjohn wrote:their bullpen is flat nasty

Guadardo
Sasaki
Soriano
Hasagawa

all four could be dominant closers

8-o wow ......

sasaki may not be around for long .... but wow.....
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby cardinals15 » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:48 pm

I think the Mariners are nickel and diming themselves to death on these relievers and mediocre players. They may know they can get rid of Sasaki so I qualify this on that basis, but the way I see it having hasagawa at 3 mil , Guardado at 4+ and say, signing Ibanez at almost 4 isn't a better option then going out and trying to get into the bidding for vlad at around 12 mil or so or Tejada at less than 10, and taking your chances with Sasaki, Soriano, Mateo and some other less proven relievers. The Mariners had one guy last year with 25 hr, 100+rbi and they aren't getting any younger.
cardinals15
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Mariners and Money

Postby tobymc » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:52 pm

The problem with the idea that the M's would have been better off spending their money on one person vs. a handful is that they have NEVER done that, and NEVER will. The ownership and leadership believe in the concept of a balanced team (whether that works or not is up for debate ====> no rings yet). I'm certainly not saying I agree with the idea, but I do believe the M's are signing quality players in their desired salary range.

And FYI, Soriano will be starting next year, that kid's a stud!
tobymc

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Madison » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:25 pm

I'll go out on a short limb here and say that Sasaki will go back to Japan and Soriano will be a starter.

That leaves Hasegawa to set up for Guardado.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Nisly » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:20 pm

Anybody know who'll close for the twins now that Eddie's gone? Also along these lines, who will close for Houston? Will it be Dotel or Lidge?
Nisly
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers