Threats to switch leagues? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Threats to switch leagues?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Threats to switch leagues?

Postby Hands22 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:23 pm

In my NL draft at my position Andruw Jones seems like he'd be a great value, but I'm wary of him changing leagues at the deadline. What are the odds that he does get traded and it is to an AL only team. Should this threat de-value him a couple of places? A round or two?

Also what are some other players that rumours would be floating around as possible mid season trades that would kill an NL only team?
Hands22
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CadensDad » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:28 pm

Braves have new owners and I think he will stick around,

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Another Blown Save » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:30 pm

It's too early to tell at this stage, but one guy that could be moved is Adam Dunn.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Re: Threats to switch leagues?

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:45 pm

Hands22 wrote:In my NL draft at my position Andruw Jones seems like he'd be a great value, but I'm wary of him changing leagues at the deadline. What are the odds that he does get traded and it is to an AL only team. Should this threat de-value him a couple of places? A round or two?

Also what are some other players that rumours would be floating around as possible mid season trades that would kill an NL only team?

Couple of reasons Andruw won't be traded IMO:
1)He's a 10-5 player and has made it clear that he won't be going anywhere;there were some rumblings early in the off season about a possible trade but he put that to bed.

2)His agent is Scott Boras and with his track record of taking players to free agency it's unlikely any team is going to give up much of anything to trade for Andruw.

I'm in an NL league as well and with the Papelbon news it makes it unlikely that Lidge will be traded or Chad Cordero who were two candidates for trade.

IMO some other possibilities:
Brad Penny
Jacque Jones
Mike Cameron(FA after the season)
Geoff Jenkins
Armando Benitez(Seattle?)
Aaron Rowand
Roger Clemens(Hou currently listed as his team)
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BigLebowski » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:00 pm

Chad Cordero
Brian Fuentes
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 473)

Postby eftda » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:47 pm

StarsNPinstripes wrote:
Hands22 wrote:In my NL draft at my position Andruw Jones seems like he'd be a great value, but I'm wary of him changing leagues at the deadline. What are the odds that he does get traded and it is to an AL only team. Should this threat de-value him a couple of places? A round or two?

1)He's a 10-5 player and has made it clear that he won't be going anywhere;there were some rumblings early in the off season about a possible trade but he put that to bed.

2)His agent is Scott Boras and with his track record of taking players to free agency it's unlikely any team is going to give up much of anything to trade for Andruw.

I'm in an NL league as well and with the Papelbon news it makes it unlikely that Lidge will be traded or Chad Cordero who were two candidates for trade.

Brad Penny
Jacque Jones
Geoff Jenkins
Aaron Rowand

I don't see how #2 applies unless Jones has a trade clause saying he has the final say.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Niffoc4 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:54 pm

basically teams won't give the Braves a sweet enough deal for them to trade Jones, because teams know that Boras won't sign an extension, guaranteeing that Jones is only a half-year rental.
I think he'll play out the season with the Braves, and then go somewhere else, unless he decides to negotiate his deal without Boras (again) then MAYBE the Braves can afford him.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby RJ24VC15 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:57 pm

eftda wrote:
StarsNPinstripes wrote:

Brad Penny
Jacque Jones
Geoff Jenkins
Aaron Rowand

I don't see how #2 applies unless Jones has a trade clause saying he has the final say.

Teams don't want to give up a lot for a guy that has a agent some teams dont even deal with. It could turn into a 1 season rental.
RJ24VC15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby eftda » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:47 pm

RJ24VC15 wrote:
eftda wrote:
StarsNPinstripes wrote:

Brad Penny
Jacque Jones
Geoff Jenkins
Aaron Rowand

Teams don't want to give up a lot for a guy that has a agent some teams dont even deal with. It could turn into a 1 season rental.

It worked for Mark McGwire. Jones want to play for a winner. If a winning team trades for him then he is more likly to sign with them in 08. But I see his point. Thanks for clearing that up.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers