TLR DUI - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

TLR DUI

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:10 am

I've seen several studies concluding that driving while talking on a hand held cell phone is just as or more dangerous than driving over 0.08 BAC. Where's all this moral judgement on those people, well us really, I don't know of anyone that consistently pulls over to talk. Where's the laws and the BS for that?
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:54 am

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:I've seen several studies concluding that driving while talking on a hand held cell phone is just as or more dangerous than driving over 0.08 BAC. Where's all this moral judgement on those people, well us really, I don't know of anyone that consistently pulls over to talk. Where's the laws and the BS for that?

#1. Your facts are wrong
http://www.iii.org/media/hottopics/insu ... ellphones/
"However, cell-phone use is far less likely to be the cause of a crash or near-miss than other distractions, according to the study. For example, while reaching for a moving object such as a falling cup increased the risk of a crash or near-crash by 9 times, talking or listening on a hand-held cell phone only increased the risk by 1.3 times."

"Inattentive driving accounted for 6.4 percent of crash fatalities in 2003 — the latest data available — according to the U.S. Department of Transportation. Inattentive driving includes talking, eating, putting on make up and attending to children. Using cell phones and other wireless or electronic units are also considered distractions."

Thus, cell phones, must represent less than 6 percent of crash fatalities.

Meanwhile.....

"During 2005, 16,885 people in the U.S. died in alcohol-related motor vehicle crashes, representing 39 percent of all traffic-related deaths."

#2 I don't know about moral outrage, nor do I really care, but legal limits on cell phone use are rapidly spreading.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tokugawa » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:01 am

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:I've seen several studies concluding that driving while talking on a hand held cell phone is just as or more dangerous than driving over 0.08 BAC. Where's all this moral judgement on those people, well us really, I don't know of anyone that consistently pulls over to talk. Where's the laws and the BS for that?

First, I'd like to see some of those studies. I'm not saying talking on a cell phone is not dangerous, but as or more dangerous than driving under the influence ... well I need to see proof of that.

Second mod edit :-t a number of states have banned using hand held cells phone while driving. (See California, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Washington DC, along with a number that have granted partial bans).

Pure ignorance ...
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach

Postby luckygehrig » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:12 am

ScarletP wrote:
wrveres wrote:Now we are comparing this to rape? 8-o

I said statutory rape. A 18-yr old having consentual sex with a 16-yr old is a victimless crime, but could be considered criminal.

I think what ScarletP is trying to say here is that DUI, like statutory rape is a strict liability crime. There is no need to prove the intent like there is with other crimes. For DUI you can get it 3 different ways. You can fail a BAC test, where no matter what your actual tolerance level is, if you blow above a .08 you're considered intoxicated. You can also be deemed too impaired to drive by the officers, which is usually concluded through field sobriety tests. The third way is if you are "in control" of a vehicle while intoxicated. In control is a pretty loose definition, but usually it means that if you pull over to sleep it off, you have to take the keys out of the ignition throw them on the floor or somewhere, and get out of the drivers seat. It's clear that Tony was in control of the car, failed the BAC, and I think I read that he failed some field tests as well. It might suck, but that's the law. No intent necessary.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby luckygehrig » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:15 am

Tokugawa wrote:

First, I'd like to see some of those studies. I'm not saying talking on a cell phone is not dangerous, but as or more dangerous than driving under the influence ... well I need to see proof of that.

Second mod edit :-t a number of states have banned using hand held cells phone while driving. (See California, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Washington DC, along with a number that have granted partial bans).

Pure ignorance ...

Not cool. That's going to get this thread locked real quick, plus there's no need for it.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:17 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:

#1. Your facts are wrong
"However, cell-phone use is far less likely to be the cause of a crash or near-miss than other distractions, according to the study. For example, while reaching for a moving object such as a falling cup increased the risk of a crash or near-crash by 9 times, talking or listening on a hand-held cell phone only increased the risk by 1.3 times."

"Inattentive driving accounted for 6.4 percent of crash fatalities in 2003 — the latest data available — according to the U.S. Department of Transportation. Inattentive driving includes talking, eating, putting on make up and attending to children. Using cell phones and other wireless or electronic units are also considered distractions."

Meanwhile.....

"During 2005, 16,885 people in the U.S. died in alcohol-related motor vehicle crashes, representing 39 percent of all traffic-related deaths."

#2 I don't know about moral outrage, nor do I really care, but legal limits on cell phone use are rapidly spreading.

I've seen different studies. I don't trust 2003 Gov't numbers. Few people say " I was on the phone". The say it was a dog or a chick with big boobs or something.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RugbyD » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:26 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:

#1. Your facts are wrong

Meanwhile.....

I don't have the source at my side at 520am, but your stats are quite misleading. The classification process of an alcohol-related accident in no way whatsoever implies causal relationship. I'll hunt around for the data later today if i get a chance.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:04 am

RugbyD wrote:I don't have the source at my side at 520am, but your stats are quite misleading. The classification process of an alcohol-related accident in no way whatsoever implies causal relationship. I'll hunt around for the data later today if i get a chance.

Go ahead. I did research on the impact of drunk driving laws of accidents and fatalities 20 years ago as a graduate student, so I know a bit about what you think the problems might be.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:50 am

I think that is enough editing for one morning, I am locking this thing up. :-t
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers