TLR DUI - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

TLR DUI

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:51 pm

ScarletP wrote:
wrveres wrote:
ScarletP wrote:I'm sick of reading about how it was a tough break because he was barely over the limit or he would have been legal a few years ago. "A few years ago" slavery was legal and women couldn't vote. There's a reason that laws are changed. The law says that if you are over .08 and driving, you are a danger. And as far as being "barely over the limit"... My brother is a cop and one time had a breathalyzer at home. After consuming a few drinks, I was to the point where I would be uncomfortable driving (or walking completely straight). I blew a .03. "Barely over the limit" is still pretty messed up. Enough to cross the center line and kill a family coming home from dinner in their minivan.


I doubt anybody is supporting drunk driving here. :-o
Is it a tuff break for La Russa, sure. But you don't know the circumstances here. He could of had a glass of wine after a late dinner. Maybe taken some allergy medicine or something, you don't know.


While taking allergy meds while drinking messes you up (personal experience) it doesn't change your BAL.

How can you say it's a tough break? He broke the law and got caught. If I get caught embezzling money or breaking into my neighbor's house, it's not a "tough break," it's called "getting caugh doing something illegal."


so is speeding .. :-o

tuff break
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31627
(Past Year: 1144)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tgalv » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:52 pm

BMcP wrote:State law deems a driver to have given his consent to a breathalyzer if he is operating a motor vehicle on a public road If he had refused, his license would have been revoked.


suspended license or this story on every newscast and in every newspaper the next day. hmm tough decision.
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 696
Joined: 12 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: MA

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:53 pm

It's 0.8 because of what can be viewed as an organization posing as political action committee run by women with a positive agenda. The facts are MADD is run by a board of men who run it like a money grubbing business directed at destroying the alcohol industry.

BAC and impairment are relative to tolerance. Some people shouldn't be driving at 0.04, some can drive fine at .012. Studies have shown 0.10 is a good standard, but as with most things MADD (and Barbra Bush) have pushed the envelope.
Last edited by Chrisy Moltisanti on Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1536
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: 6 feet under

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:53 pm

tgalv wrote:
BMcP wrote:State law deems a driver to have given his consent to a breathalyzer if he is operating a motor vehicle on a public road If he had refused, his license would have been revoked.


suspended license or this story on every newscast and in every newspaper the next day. hmm tough decision.

Either way there is a police report and either way the story is going to be everywhere.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21508
(Past Year: 449)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby BMcP » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:58 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
tgalv wrote:
BMcP wrote:State law deems a driver to have given his consent to a breathalyzer if he is operating a motor vehicle on a public road If he had refused, his license would have been revoked.


suspended license or this story on every newscast and in every newspaper the next day. hmm tough decision.

Either way there is a police report and either way the story is going to be everywhere.


And he would have been arrested anyway for failing the field sobriety tests. In addition to all other problems, not sure it would have been in his best interests from a publicity standpoint to add to the arrest story that he refused the breathalyzer.
BMcP
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 326
Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mak1277 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:58 pm

ScarletP wrote:"Barely over the limit" is still pretty messed up. Enough to cross the center line and kill a family coming home from dinner in their minivan.


I have a hard time buying this. I got pulled over and blew a 0.18 and there is no way on earth I was drunk enough to cross a center line. I know that alcohol effects everyone differently, but if you drink regularly at all, you're not really going to feel very messed up if you're at 0.08.

I'm not saying the law is bad, and I know for sure I'll never do it again, I just think that it's HIGHLY unlikely that simply being at 0.093 or whatever is super dangerous.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 4569
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 14 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Northern Virginia

Postby RugbyD » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:04 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:i dont think its appropriate to judge a situation based on the end result. its ok because he managed to keep his foot on the brake when asleep? what if he creeps into the intersection and causes and accident?

look, he failed the field tests. he failed the breathalyzer. BAC isnt a universal judge of impairment. you can spout .09 is nothing all you want but tony was judged by officers of the law to be impaired.

if its a non-story its because no one was hurt. its not a non-story because he did nothing wrong.

I am highly likely to fail a sobriety field test after waking up as well, drink or no drink.


how is that relevant? do you sleep in your car for the length of two stop lights with the car running and in gear?

what i'm saying is that failing the field test doesn't mean as much as you're making it out to be. He may well have passed it in spite of his BAC, but failed b/c getting your bearings together after you've been asleep is not instantaneous or even fast, depending.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Postby RugbyD » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:06 pm

ScarletP wrote:How can you say it's a tough break? He broke the law and got caught. If I get caught embezzling money or breaking into my neighbor's house, it's not a "tough break," it's called "getting caugh doing something illegal."

is the concept of 'intent' nonexistent in your world?
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Postby BMcP » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:08 pm

RugbyD wrote:
ScarletP wrote:How can you say it's a tough break? He broke the law and got caught. If I get caught embezzling money or breaking into my neighbor's house, it's not a "tough break," it's called "getting caugh doing something illegal."

is the concept of 'intent' nonexistent in your world?


My question exactly - care to respond to my previous post?

I don't follow the logic that drinking before driving is not considered "reckless" or a "failure to perform the duties of a driver." Is it just because the drinking occurs before actually starting the vehicle? Would it then be ok for LaRussa to blindfold himself before getting in the car? Or if he removed the tires from the front wheels and then started the car? Or cut his brake line?

The fact is LaRussa willingly consumed alcohol despite the knowledge that it would impair his ability to perform driving duties. If this does not constitute a reckless act, I don't know what would.
BMcP
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 326
Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ScarletP » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:11 pm

RugbyD wrote:
ScarletP wrote:How can you say it's a tough break? He broke the law and got caught. If I get caught embezzling money or breaking into my neighbor's house, it's not a "tough break," it's called "getting caugh doing something illegal."

is the concept of 'intent' nonexistent in your world?


So you're implying that LaRussa didn't indend to drink? Or that he didn't intend to drive? I've never accidentally done either of those things.
Image
ScarletP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 856
Joined: 20 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Skin Blues, unioreimi and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Apr. 16
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Atlanta at Atlanta
(12:35 pm)
NY Yankees at NY Yankees
(12:35 pm)
Chi Cubs at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Detroit at Detroit
(1:10 pm)
Cleveland at Cleveland
(3:40 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:05 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Texas
(7:05 pm)
Kansas City at Houston
(7:08 pm)
Toronto at Minnesota
(7:10 pm)
Boston at Chi White Sox
(8:05 pm)
LA Angels at LA Angels
(8:10 pm)
Oakland at Oakland
(8:10 pm)
San Diego at San Diego
(8:10 pm)
Colorado at Colorado
(10:05 pm)
San Francisco at San Francisco
(10:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at LA Dodgers
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact