TLR DUI - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

TLR DUI

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

TLR DUI

Postby JTWood » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:41 am

Local news is reporting that Tony got caught celebrating the World Series last night.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

La Russa arrested for DUI

Postby echrisl » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:39 am

I'm not positive this is the right place for this thread, but I couldn't think of anywhere more suitable, so:

Report: Cards' La Russa arrested for DUI

FOXSports.com

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa was arrested and charged with DUI around midnight, according to a report in the Palm Beach Post.

Police say he was asleep behind the wheel of his SUV at a traffic light, with his foot on the brake and the engine running.

When he finally responded to repeated knocks on the window, officers noticed a smell of alcohol and administered a roadside sobriety test.

La Russa was taken to county jail and booked on a misdemeanor charge.

Link:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6596608?MSNHPHMA
Using a key to gouge expletives on another's vehicle is a sign of trust and friendship.
echrisl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Coppermine » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:52 am

This is an appropriate location.

I always thought of LaRussa as a big jerk. I mean, that's certainly not necessarily a bad thing in a MLB manager and just look at the success he's had in St. Louis.

Not that getting a DUI is really something only sleazy jerks get themselves into. I've noticed that it seems like a lot of MLB players get DUI's... although I suppose it's better than half of them getting arrested every weekend on gun and drug charges.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:11 am

It's official.

JUPITER, Fla. -– Cardinals manager Tony La Russa was jailed by the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Department early this morning on a charge of suspicion of driving under the influence, according to a police report obtained by the Post-Dispatch.

La Russa, 62, was booked at 4:07 a.m. local time after Jupiter police conducted the traffic stop.

The arrest potentially represents La Russa’s first offense, according to the report.

The Palm Beach County Sheriff placed the report on-line before most players had arrived at the team’s spring training complex. La Russa typically arrives at Roger Dean Stadium around 7 a.m.

A release from the Jupiter Police Department said the traffic stop had happened around midnight. The police report said he had been given a field sobriety test that showed La Russa’s blood alcohol level was 0.093. Florida law considers 0.080 driving under the influence. He gave two breath samples at Palm Beach County Jail before being booked.

The charge is a misdemeanor, and La Russa posted a $500 bond. But he was required to spend eight hours in custody before being released. He was expected to be released between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. Florida time, Palm Beach County Sheriff spokesman Paul Miller said.

La Russa was found inside his stalled dark blue Escalade SUV at Frederick Small Blvd and Military Trail, about 1 1/2 miles from the stadium and less than a mile from the manager’s spring residence, the release from Jupiter police said.

La Russa was found asleep behind the wheel with his foot on the vehicle’s brake pedal. When an undercover officer told him to put the car in park, the Cardinals manager complied, according to a release.

A report filed by Jupiter police said that the Cardinals manager was breathing but that initial attempts to rouse La Russa by "repeated knocks on the window" on the driver’s side window had failed.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby FBIGUY » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:15 am

I would be carefull to jump to conclusions, he may have mixed boose and prescription meds or something. He may not have been as DRUNK as it seems. It clearly was an odd situation. We will get the full story soon enough!

I hope there is a good reason for this...we shall see!
Writing Fantasy Baseball Articles whenever I get a chance and checking my fantasy teams.
FBIGUY
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mak1277 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:27 am

I have several reactions to this.

1) Ha, ha. I hate TLR and the Cards...

2) How annoying is sportstalk radio going to be for the next 2 weeks in St. Louis?

3) Who really cares? DUI's are pretty much a non-event. No jail time, pay a fine, it's over. Please go back to your regularly scheduled life.

4) What kind of sissy is TLR if he passed out with a BAC of only .093? Kind of weak if you ask me.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby hot4tx » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:54 am

FBIGUY wrote:I would be carefull to jump to conclusions, he may have mixed boose and prescription meds or something.

...says the guy with the Bengals logo! :-D
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:02 am

i guess he can put that law degree to good use.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby RugbyD » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:12 am

total non-event. .093 means jack squat. he guilty of driving in the wrong state, not driving under the influence.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby BMcP » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:20 am

RugbyD wrote:total non-event. .093 means jack squat. he guilty of driving in the wrong state, not driving under the influence.

Wow. It's good to see a few drunk-driving advocates on the boards today.
BMcP
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers