Matt Garza - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Matt Garza

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matt Garza

Postby sixer03fan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:03 am

Is he in the rotation or not? I've heard that he might start the season as the odd man out. Is this true?

and also, who's a better sleeper to keep at the bottom of my staff..

Garza or Gorzellany?

The pitching stats are: wins, k's, k/9, whip, saves
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matt Garza

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:41 am

sixer03fan wrote:Is he in the rotation or not? I've heard that he might start the season as the odd man out. Is this true?

and also, who's a better sleeper to keep at the bottom of my staff..

Garza or Gorzellany?

The pitching stats are: wins, k's, k/9, whip, saves

garza, he will be a part of that rotation soon and is on the better team/and is the better prospect.
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 13)

Postby The Big Train » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:51 am

Ponson is still the favourite to claim the final position despite Garza's solid spring. It appears that the Twins want Garza to get a few more innings at Triple-A. They will likely start with Ponson knowing that if he struggles (or drops a box of donuts on his foot and ends up on the DL), they could recall Garza at any time. Garza is apparently not quite ready to stretch beyond 5 innings anyways. Given his assortment of pitches however, it seems likely that in the not to distant future, Garza will be the no. 2 starter in Minnesota after Santana.

Gorzelanny is a fine young pitcher, but I'm siding with Garza regarding the keeper question. He appears to have all the tools to be very good.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:01 am

The Big Train wrote:Ponson is still the favourite to claim the final position despite Garza's solid spring. It appears that the Twins want Garza to get a few more innings at Triple-A. They will likely start with Ponson knowing that if he struggles (or drops a box of donuts on his foot and ends up on the DL), they could recall Garza at any time. Garza is apparently not quite ready to stretch beyond 5 innings anyways. Given his assortment of pitches however, it seems likely that in the not to distant future, Garza will be the no. 2 starter in Minnesota after Santana.

Gorzelanny is a fine young pitcher, but I'm siding with Garza regarding the keeper question. He appears to have all the tools to be very good.

I'd say by june garza is in that rotation for good. I can't believe they actually are willing to trot guys like ponson/silva out every 5th day over him.
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Peter Gammon's Jr. » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:53 am

silva is a waste of space in the rotation...
Peter Gammon's Jr.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jfg » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:15 am

Yeah, it'll be Silva that he replaces. Gardy has him on a short leash and is vocally frustrated with him. I wouldn't doubt if Silva doesn't show anything in the next spring game that Garza gets the job out of camp. That's pure speculation, but Gardenhire's not happy with Silva.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby mrubino » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:29 pm

yeah, its like the Mets. they will continue to trot out scrubs to be their 5th starter just so they can keep heilman buried in the bullpen. both those young pitchers have good potential but i will side with garza mainly because the twins are a better squad.
mrubino
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BlueBandit24 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:44 pm

Garza will be in the rotation sooner rather than later. One of the Silva-Ponson duo is bound to fail, if not both. When that happens, Garza will be up for good.

Kudos to GiantsFan14 for the sig.
BlueBandit24
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bozo » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:41 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:Garza will be in the rotation sooner rather than later. One of the Silva-Ponson duo is bound to fail, if not both. When that happens, Garza will be up for good.

Not to mention the pending failure of Ramon Ortiz
Bozo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby B-Chad » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:33 pm

Sorry to add a question on top of this, but it's kind of related. What about Slowey? I heard he's got a very high ceiling, any chance he gets a rotation spot before Garza?
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates