Todd Helton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Todd Helton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tgalv » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:44 pm

a lot of people, me included, were expecting a bounce back LAST year and look what happened.

i'm not interested in helton unless it's a deep league and he falls. in a standard league with one 1B and one UTIL, having a guy at one of those positions who hits so few homeruns with non impressive runs/rbis is really detrimental to a team imo. it's hard to make the counting numbers up against someone who has a couple of mashers.
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Drunken Rhino » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:48 pm

tgalv wrote:a lot of people, me included, were expecting a bounce back LAST year and look what happened.

i'm not interested in helton unless it's a deep league and he falls. in a standard league with one 1B and one UTIL, having a guy at one of those positions who hits so few homeruns with non impressive runs/rbis is really detrimental to a team imo. it's hard to make the counting numbers up against someone who has a couple of mashers.

I see your point in a 5x5 league, but he has definte value in leagues that count OBP. I've always liked Helton and would like to see him bounce back.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:02 pm

tgalv wrote:a lot of people, me included, were expecting a bounce back LAST year and look what happened.

OK but it is tough to bounce back when you have some serious illness that caused you to miss time and lose a lot of weight.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dooz » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:57 pm

He has been falling a ton in the leagues I have drafted in. Initially, I had almost tagged him with the "avoid at all costs" tags because, as someone mentioned, in a 1 1B/UTL league with 12 managers, he doesnt bring a ton. But in my OBP league and my other with 2b/BB as stats, whats not to like with how far he falls?

He still hit 40 2Bs last year and was sick. The guy knows how to hit. I see 100/20/100/0/.310/.400 with an OPS around or just about .900. Now, I'm not taking him very high but I have changed my mind after seeing him fall really far. I'm not taking him in the top 100 but, for certain teams, I think Helton will do really well.

In my first draft (5x5, H2H, 12 teams), he went 131. That perked my attention.

Draft 2: (6x6 k and OBP replacing AVG, h2h 8 teams)
I took him 144th. With OBP as a cat, I'll take that risk all day, all night. With two UTL spots, I like it even more.

Draft 3: (6x6 OPS added, 10 teams H2H)
He went 153rd! I would have taken him but I needed to fill holes and had Howard.

IF he falls past 130 and it makes sense for your team/format, I'd jump all over him.

In an 18 team league, he went 96th by a guy who already had berkman and hafner. Definitely not how I would have used a 6th round pick.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby CadensDad » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:18 pm

I target him in the 9-14 rounds

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Grouperman941 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:07 am

I got him at pick 163 in my 14-team keeper. Steal!

I have him backed up by Conor Jackson, who I got 2 rounds later.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers