New to fantasy baseball - Any advice? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

New to fantasy baseball - Any advice?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New to fantasy baseball - Any advice?

Postby sklingem » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:37 pm

This is my first year in a fantasy baseball league. I've been in football and now joined a league with friends. It is a 6 team redraft league. We start 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 3 OF, 2 SP, 2 RP, 3 P, C and a utility position. There are five bench spots and a DL.

My first question relates to valuable positions. Based on my bench below I'm tempted to drop my C - Posada and 3B - Crede for pitching. Is that a good move?

My second question is the RP position. I noticed a RP who has quite a few wins, inings pitched and Ks. He is also classified as a starter (maybe he really is). Two of the pitchers eligible for SP and RP are Chuck James - ATL and Clay Hensley - SD. Has anyone tried to put a RP/SP in a RP to add wins, IP and Ks? The only category which becomes a loser is saves.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Here is my team:

C: R. Hernandez
1B: Pujols
2B: Roberts
3B: Wright
SS: Tejada
OF: Guerrero
OF: Damon
OF: Pierre
Util: M. Young
Bench: C. Delagdo, J. Thome, A. Dunn, J. Crede, J. Posada

SP: Peavy, Halladay, Rambrano, Haren, Willis
RP: Jenks, Lidge
sklingem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby elltrain22 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:24 am

Not a bad team for a newbie!! I would get 1 more closer (I like to have at least 3), and maybe 1 more SP. Your team is solid, but ya have good players like Delgado, Thome, & Dunn who'll sit on your bench. Why not move and get players you can use consistently?
elltrain22
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:38 am

elltrain22 wrote:Not a bad team for a newbie!!

6 team league. :-?

So, first off, get into a bigger league. A 6-teamer isn't going to be much fun. Everyone's team is stacked and it's even more luck than it already is. Get at least 4 more guys to play in your league.

As far as other advice goes, the best I can give you is to hang out here. The guys here know what they're talking about and you can find an answer to anything.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:57 am

You should definitely try to dump Crede and Posada for two more pitchers; like someone said, preferrably for a closer (if available) and a SP.

To answer your RP/SP question, some young pitchers make their MLB debut in the bullpen and pitch there for a while before being moved into the rotation. This gives the RP and SP eligibility, but it really doesn't matter either way because both can be stuck in the P position.

I believe both James and Hensley both started out in the bullpen; Hensley was an RP for a while before the moved him into the rotation, but both are SP now. Both are young pitchers who have the potential to have a good year, but like all young pitchers, anything can happen.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers