Using MR effectively - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Using MR effectively

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Does Zumaya & Broxton together = a pretty good starter?

Postby kemper5 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:23 pm

I have them on my roster and figure combined they will put out #'s a pretty good starter would put out..

10-12 wins, 185+ K's, 3.00 to 3.25 ish era, 1.200 ish Whip and maybe 5-10 Saves??? Combined they should be not bad at all, what do you think?
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby decoy562 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:28 pm

Yes. We've covered this recently I believe, try the search button. I believe we had a good thread on this.
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:07 pm

Yes, the only problem is that a starter only takes up one roster spot, whereas those will occupy two. Beyond that, a good starter would pitch 200 innings, those guys will combine for about 130 innings. That being said, there ratios will probably be unbelievable when compared to starters, so their impact on your ERA could be like that of one great starter.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:13 pm

League size/setting are going to have a large impact in your situation.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby thehotcorner » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:29 pm

i like to go with shields...

rubber arm and usually pitches more innings than your average reliver. also usually ends the season with a decent amount of wins (due to the way he is used) and a handful of saves.

i love grabbing closers with elite setup men, since it makes it that much more valuable to me to hold those relievers since they are also insurance policies...

K-Rod / Shields
Street / The Duke
Rodney / Zumaya
Wickman / Soriano
Hoffman / Linebrink
Saito / Broxton

Any one of those setup men have value alone and paired with their closer make great tandems.
thehotcorner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:36 pm

You might want to consider how Todd Jones and Mike Gonzalez figure in to that equation hotcorner.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thehotcorner » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:42 pm

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:You might want to consider how Todd Jones and Mike Gonzalez figure in to that equation hotcorner.

You get my drift.

Regardless, I'd take Soriano and Zumaya. Those are two of the best MRs out there. Put in Shields and those would be my top 3 MRs in the game.
thehotcorner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby samjerky » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:57 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:Yes, the only problem is that a starter only takes up one roster spot, whereas those will occupy two. Beyond that, a good starter would pitch 200 innings, those guys will combine for about 130 innings. That being said, there ratios will probably be unbelievable when compared to starters, so their impact on your ERA could be like that of one great starter.

OK I'm new to this, but isn't this the idea, especially H2H - you use your great starter on the day he starts. Then, you put in these MR guys. You're going to have WHIP and ERA locked down if you've got, like, Shields, Zumaya, Broxton, let's say. If you've got a decent closer, you're likely going to win that as well with vulture saves. So now you've got three out of 5 cats owned, and since you're already using your starter on the day he starts, you're probably going to win Ks as well. Since you have all these MRs because you emphasized hitters in the early rounds, you're going to win the majority of hitting cats as well. Tah dah?
samjerky Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:02 pm

All of the above is certainly true, but if the race is close in hitting and you could be using one of those roster spots to get you a few more Rs, HRs, RBIs, and SBs on off days from an extra bench player in leagues with no limit on games played. If it's weekly roster changes it's less of an issue.

All I'm saying is, yes, they are as good or better than one great starter, but they still do take two roster spots, that's a disadvantage when compared to just one.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:06 pm

thehotcorner wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:You might want to consider how Todd Jones and Mike Gonzalez figure in to that equation hotcorner.

You get my drift.

Regardless, I'd take Soriano and Zumaya. Those are two of the best MRs out there. Put in Shields and those would be my top 3 MRs in the game.

What rounds to you usually have to take them in?
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers