Ok, Ok, Ok... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Ok, Ok, Ok...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ok, Ok, Ok...

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:25 pm

So I know 8-team Mixed Leagues are essentially useless, but when some buddies from college asked me, I figured why not, the draft should at least be entertaining, and I want to see how stacked my team can be... Plus, most of these guys don't really know what they're doing, so I figure it's another trophy for me B-) It's 5x5 + SLG, HLD, K/9 -- H2H.

So anyway, here's the damage (I had the 7th Overall Pick)...

C - Empty (Barrett is on Waivers, as is the guy I really want... David Ross - I am 100% sure that nobody will pick him up until I decide to)
1B - David Ortiz
2B - Ian Kinsler
3B - David Wright
SS - Stephen Drew
MI - Julio Lugo
CI - Aramis Ramirez
OF - Jason Bay
OF - Ichiro
OF - Rocco Baldelli
Util - Paul Konerko
Util - Prince Fielder

SP - Brandon Webb
SP - John Smoltz
SP - John Lackey
RP - Huston Street
RP - Chad Cordero
RP - Brad Lidge
P - Jason Isringhausen
P - Octavio Dotel
BN - Barry Zito
BN - A.J. Burnett
BN - Chris Capuano
BN - Pedro Martinez*

*Once Pedro is placed on the DL, he will occupy that spot for me, and I'll snag the Catcher I want.

Now, to me, this team looks stacked to the max, but I've never been in a league this small before, and am in shock over some of the guys who are on the Waiver Wire...

Frank Thomas, Kelvim Escobar, Dave Bush, Adam Wainright...
Like I said, these guys aren't fantasy afficionados, and if I am able to create the roster space, believe these guys will be on my roster. But anyway, is this a stacked 8-teamer like I think it is, or are all teams in such shallow leagues this good??
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ok, Ok, Ok...

Postby Sid Bream's Slide » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:36 pm

You've got a top tier 1B, 3B, and OF in Bay.
You should have saves locked up every week as well. Are you worried at all about the holds category?

I don't really see any holes other than that. You've got stacked offense - both power and speed. The staff has your Ace and then a bunch of great #2 guys (fantasy-wise). I don't really see any reason to trade or scour the WW for holds.

I'm in a 10 team with Kelvim on the wire.

Here's mine:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=260419

bigh0rt wrote:So I know 8-team Mixed Leagues are essentially useless, but when some buddies from college asked me, I figured why not, the draft should at least be entertaining, and I want to see how stacked my team can be... Plus, most of these guys don't really know what they're doing, so I figure it's another trophy for me B-) It's 5x5 + SLG, HLD, K/9 -- H2H.

So anyway, here's the damage (I had the 7th Overall Pick)...

C - Empty (Barrett is on Waivers, as is the guy I really want... David Ross - I am 100% sure that nobody will pick him up until I decide to)
1B - David Ortiz
2B - Ian Kinsler
3B - David Wright
SS - Stephen Drew
MI - Julio Lugo
CI - Aramis Ramirez
OF - Jason Bay
OF - Ichiro
OF - Rocco Baldelli
Util - Paul Konerko
Util - Prince Fielder

SP - Brandon Webb
SP - John Smoltz
SP - John Lackey
RP - Huston Street
RP - Chad Cordero
RP - Brad Lidge
P - Jason Isringhausen
P - Octavio Dotel
BN - Barry Zito
BN - A.J. Burnett
BN - Chris Capuano
BN - Pedro Martinez*

*Once Pedro is placed on the DL, he will occupy that spot for me, and I'll snag the Catcher I want.

Now, to me, this team looks stacked to the max, but I've never been in a league this small before, and am in shock over some of the guys who are on the Waiver Wire...

Frank Thomas, Kelvim Escobar, Dave Bush, Adam Wainright...
Like I said, these guys aren't fantasy afficionados, and if I am able to create the roster space, believe these guys will be on my roster. But anyway, is this a stacked 8-teamer like I think it is, or are all teams in such shallow leagues this good??
Sid Bream's Slide
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Johnny Tuttle » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:41 pm

This is a good, good team. It's hard to say if it's absolutely stacked, but this is a contending team, for sure.

I really like your pitching, but you've got two big problems there:

1. Lidge. I realllllly dislike having him on your team. I'd recommend trading him with a hitter for a cheap upgrade. Maybe with Lugo for Glaus (who would look sweeeet at MI in a league that counts SLG if he qualifies there) if you could stomach the lower avg. (I think you can with low power Ichiro on your team).

2. That would clear the way for a pitcher who might get you some holds, which you seem to have punted. Luckily, no stat is easier to get off the wire, and this will drive your K/9 up, too: Broxton, Zumaya, Neshek, and so on and so on and so on will be on your wire. Hawk the wire for middle relievers, and you'll be fine. I play in a H2H league with k/bb, k/9, whip, and era amongst the pitching cats, and no wins, saves, or holds. I churn through cheap middle relivers all year.

For your hitters, you need to find room for Thomas ASAP, especially in a league slugging. The Lugo/Drew/Kinsler MIF slot isn't your strongest area, and that needs upgrading to consider yourself stacked. It's not that these aren't good options, but they're not the greatest combination there in your league. Lidge & Dotel, come to think of it, should be your bait.

For cheap catchers, remember the rookie in Colorado whose name I can't spell, the winner of the Arizona job, Josh Bard, and above all Mike Napoli.

Hope this helps. Please check out mine, too:http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=260441
Johnny Tuttle
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 36)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:39 pm

Ian Kinsler is your starting second baseman? Are people hoarding second basemen?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Tavish » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:54 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Ian Kinsler is your starting second baseman? Are people hoarding second basemen?

That's sort of what I was thinking. For 8 team mixed I wouldn't exactly call your team stacked. The SP/RP are good but probably not good enough to overcome punting holds since it is K/9 instead of K (if I'm reading your setup right). I'm not a big fan of Ichiro or Lugo when SLG is the 6th hitting category. The good thing about 8 team leagues is its usually pretty easy to upgrade from the wire later in the season.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:20 pm

The best 2Bs available are Marcus Giles, Cantu, Wigginton... Maybe Wigginton is a better option than Kinsler, batting clean-up. I can grab two of the elite Setup men if I wish to (a lot of teams seemingly punted the cat, but by the time I saw it, I was too deep into my draft strategy to change it), but would it be worth dropping two of my Closers to do so?? Also, we have both K and K/9. Don't ask. I'm not the commissioner.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:33 pm

bigh0rt wrote:The best 2Bs available are Marcus Giles, Cantu, Wigginton... Maybe Wigginton is a better option than Kinsler, batting clean-up. I can grab two of the elite Setup men if I wish to (a lot of teams seemingly punted the cat, but by the time I saw it, I was too deep into my draft strategy to change it), but would it be worth dropping two of my Closers to do so?? Also, we have both K and K/9. Don't ask. I'm not the commissioner.

5X5 with holds, K and K/9? What are the other 2 pitching cats Wins and Saves? So there is no WHIP and ERA cats? On top of all of that it's an H2H league. :-°

Nathan, Valverde, Broxton, Bruny etc suddenly become the most valuable pitchers in the league.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:57 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:The best 2Bs available are Marcus Giles, Cantu, Wigginton... Maybe Wigginton is a better option than Kinsler, batting clean-up. I can grab two of the elite Setup men if I wish to (a lot of teams seemingly punted the cat, but by the time I saw it, I was too deep into my draft strategy to change it), but would it be worth dropping two of my Closers to do so?? Also, we have both K and K/9. Don't ask. I'm not the commissioner.

5X5 with holds, K and K/9? What are the other 2 pitching cats Wins and Saves? So there is no WHIP and ERA cats? On top of all of that it's an H2H league. :-°

Nathan, Valverde, Broxton, Bruny etc suddenly become the most valuable pitchers in the league.

Excuse me, I wasn't clear. It's 5x5 + SLG and K/9, HLDS. Still have all the standard 5x5 cats, though.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Sid Bream's Slide » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:53 pm

I'd say definitely not.
In H2H, I'd rather have domination in 1 single category than mediocrity in a couple, especially when your closers will be helping the ratio cats as well.
Sid Bream's Slide
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:55 am

Hey Hort,

I just did one of these crazy drafts of my own...so I'd love your two cents...

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=260135

As far as your team goes, I think it is pretty well stacked. It is a "deeper" 8 team league - if there is such a thing, and the only real thing I don't love about your team is your MI. But from the options you stated, it doesn't seem like there is much better out there.

Perhaps dealing ARam for an upgrade at 2B and a CI to replace him that someone likely has on their bench - maybe from 1B since it's a lot deeper....
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team