Benitez to Seattle? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Benitez to Seattle?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Benitez to Seattle?

Postby stlcardsfan » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:10 pm

This was up on ESPN.com today:

"Mar 21 - The Mariners had a scout assigned to watch Giants reliever Armando Benitez almost exclusively for the past week, the Tacoma News Tribune reports.

Seattle reportedly might offer Ben Broussard and ask the Giants to eat some of Benitez's contract.

According to The San Francisco Chronicle, the Giants may make a decision on whether to trade or keep Benitez by early next week."

I also read today that Putz hasn't had any problems after playing long toss for the past 2 days and was set to do a bullpen session tomorrow. Why would Seattle be looking at Benitez? Is there something going on I don't know about, or is Putz still set to be Seattle's closer?
stlcardsfan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Benitez to Seattle?

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:03 am

stlcardsfan wrote:This was up on ESPN.com today:

"Mar 21 - The Mariners had a scout assigned to watch Giants reliever Armando Benitez almost exclusively for the past week, the Tacoma News Tribune reports.

Seattle reportedly might offer Ben Broussard and ask the Giants to eat some of Benitez's contract.

According to The San Francisco Chronicle, the Giants may make a decision on whether to trade or keep Benitez by early next week."

I also read today that Putz hasn't had any problems after playing long toss for the past 2 days and was set to do a bullpen session tomorrow. Why would Seattle be looking at Benitez? Is there something going on I don't know about, or is Putz still set to be Seattle's closer?

Putz does have an injury...he is still on track for Opening Day but that's disconcerting. Their bullpen is SO bad behind Putz right now that having Benitez as insurance against a Putz injury and as a set-up man both would make sense. If they could get a discounted Benitez for Broussard I'd say go for it...it would just have to be a heavily discounted Benitez to make sense.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby KronJon » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:06 pm

The Mariners traded away one of the best setup men in baseball (Rafael Soriano) and replaced him with Reitsma. Reitsma is horrible. They could definitely use Benitez.
KronJon
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates