Sleepers at 2B - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sleepers at 2B

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:41 am

ramble2 wrote:Anyone have any word on Joey Thurston? He was supposed to be LA's 2B last season, but couldn't hack it. Will LA give him another shot?

Don't get too excited about him - he can't take a walk - but if he leads off for the Dogers he'll get some SBs and score some runs. Don't overpay for him, but remember his name.


Probably, but i think he's useless unless its a nl only. His sb % has been terrible throughout his career. Hes a weak slap hitter, who doesn't walk much. He had a inflated 02 season, (Las Vegas AAA) will do that.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby swingaway » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:37 am

how about bo hart of stl possibly takign over at 2nd full time i know this guy haves potential or about that jiemenez guy or chase utley of phily
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 1638
Joined: 6 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at the cafe

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:24 am

swingaway wrote:how about bo hart of stl possibly takign over at 2nd full time i know this guy haves potential or about that jiemenez guy or chase utley of phily


I don't think that the Cards are enamored with that idea.
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:34 am

Lofunzo wrote:
swingaway wrote:how about bo hart of stl possibly takign over at 2nd full time i know this guy haves potential or about that jiemenez guy or chase utley of phily


I don't think that the Cards are enamored with that idea.


Even if he does start, he shouldn't be on your fantasy team unless it is a very deep NL league.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21614
(Past Year: 380)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby Area51's » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:41 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
swingaway wrote:how about bo hart of stl possibly takign over at 2nd full time i know this guy haves potential or about that jiemenez guy or chase utley of phily


I don't think that the Cards are enamored with that idea.


Even if he does start, he shouldn't be on your fantasy team unless it is a very deep NL league.



Very very deep.....sure he had a great couple of weeks, but he came back to earth FAST!
If I were playing third base and my mother were rounding third with the run that was going to beat us, I'd trip her. Oh, I'd pick her up and brush her off and say, 'Sorry, Mom,' but nobody beats me.
Leo Durocher, Brooklyn Dodgers Manager
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1002
Joined: 3 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: night watchmen at Pork n Beans factory

Postby swingaway » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:43 am

CINCINNATI -- D'Angelo Jimenez's performance in the Dominican Winter League probably looks familiar to Reds fans.
Jimenez, who excelled offensively for the Reds in the season's second half, ranked second in the Dominican with a .385 batting average through 14 games for the Licey Tigers.

Jimenez, who had one home run and seven RBIs, also was tied for second in the league with 20 hits. Displaying his usual patience at the plate, he had drawn 13 walks while striking out four times in 52 at-bats.

This is the kind of consistency Jimenez often displayed after Cincinnati acquired him from the Chicago White Sox for minor league right-hander Scott Dunn on July 6. He hit safely in his first 15 games as a Red, establishing a personal best. Jimenez, who alternately occupied the leadoff and No. 3 spots in the batting order, avoided extended slumps until he hit .143 (4-for-28) in his last eight games. This dropped his Reds average from .305 to .290.

Though Jimenez played second base, it has been speculated that he might move to third base, where the Reds lack proven performers. He entered the offseason with the goal of improving his agility, which would help him at either infield position.

Looks like his value is going up more now since he might play 3rd this year.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 1638
Joined: 6 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at the cafe

Postby EricF » Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:30 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:With Matsui signing and playing short, that means Jose Reyes will play second. He'll be a great pickup, I think. What round, considering position scarcity?


How does that work? If it is known that he will play 2B, will Yahoo give him 2B and SS eligibility at the start or will they make him play a few games at 2B before putting him there?


In 2003 Aaron Boone started the season at 2B to make room at 3B for Brandon Larson. He qualified only at 3B and SS in Yahoo until he had played his 15 games at 2B in 2003.
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 471
Joined: 3 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:37 pm

Area51's wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
swingaway wrote:how about bo hart of stl possibly takign over at 2nd full time i know this guy haves potential or about that jiemenez guy or chase utley of phily


I don't think that the Cards are enamored with that idea.


Even if he does start, he shouldn't be on your fantasy team unless it is a very deep NL league.



Very very deep.....sure he had a great couple of weeks, but he came back to earth FAST!


lmao ...

Hart will not start .... He will be the first IF off the bench ... though ..
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31781
(Past Year: 757)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:17 pm

EricF wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:With Matsui signing and playing short, that means Jose Reyes will play second. He'll be a great pickup, I think. What round, considering position scarcity?


How does that work? If it is known that he will play 2B, will Yahoo give him 2B and SS eligibility at the start or will they make him play a few games at 2B before putting him there?


In 2003 Aaron Boone started the season at 2B to make room at 3B for Brandon Larson. He qualified only at 3B and SS in Yahoo until he had played his 15 games at 2B in 2003.


Thanks. ;-D
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby swingaway » Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:14 am

lol the only guy hart haves to compete with at the moment is brent butler lol.

Harts stats
G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB OBP SLG Avg
77 296 46 82 13 5 4 28 117 12 64 3 .317 .395 .277

vs butlers stats
he played for the rockies those years by the way
2001
53 119 17 29 7 1 1 14 41 7 7 1 .287 .345 .244
2002
113 344 55 89 18 4 9 42 142 10 40 2 .287 .413 .259
2003
37 90 13 19 3 1 1 4 27 7 13 1 .276 .300 .211

Butler, meanwhile, began his career in the St. Louis system before being traded to Colorado in 1999 in the trade that brought Darryl Kile to the Cardinals. He played in parts of three seasons with Colorado. Butler, 25, is primarily a second baseman, but he can also handle shortstop and third base. He could fill the role vacated when Miguel Cairo was not offered arbitration, but he also could challenge for the starting second base job.

"It's just competition," Jocketty said. "It's wide open. When you get an opportunity to bring a guy you've always liked back into the organization, you do it. Right now, I think it's wide open."

The Cardinals inquired about Butler during the summer, when both starting second baseman Fernando Vina and Cairo went down to injury. However, Bo Hart stepped forward as an effective option, enjoying a solid season in his big league debut.

It seems they like hart over butler. If they dont sign noone else it seems like butler and hart compete for 2nd.

And also this topic is about sleepers and not bonfide 2nd baseman and aslo hart haves about the same stats as jimenez in about as half the amount of games played and everyone seems high on him including me but be on the look out for hart should he win the 2nd base spot.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 1638
Joined: 6 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at the cafe

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apz, Pogotheostrich and 11 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact