Pudge .. .. Gone - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pudge .. .. Gone

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pudge .. .. Gone

Postby wrveres » Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:00 am

Pudge says goodbye to Marlins
Free-agent catcher Ivan Rodriguez turned down a multiyear worth more than $7 million a year late Sunday, ending any hopes the Marlins had of holding on to the 10-time All-Star.

''He will not be a Marlin in 2004,'' general manager Larry Beinfest said early this morning.

The Marlins didn't make an offer to Rodriguez agent, Scott Boras, until last week, after they had reached agreement on multiyear deals with Mike Lowell and Luis Castillo. And that fact figured in the Rodriguez talks. The playoff MVP, who hit .297 with 16 homers and 85 RBI last season, was angered that Lowell got nearly double his 2003 salary and Castillo received a boost of $2.3 million over four years while he was asked to take a pay cut.

The Marlins did the math a little differently, however. Although Rodriguez earned $9.3 million last season, the Marlins paid him just $3 million of that, with the rest due in deferred payments over the next two summers. So for the ballclub, offering Rodriguez a new contract worth $20 million over three seasons actually means paying him nearly $10 million in both 2004 and 2005.

''I tried my best to remain a Marlin by not requesting a salary increase,'' Rodriguez said in a statement issued by Boras. ``To my knowledge, I'm the only major leaguer in recent times who won the World Series and received a postseason MVP award, and yet his club did not offer a higher salary.'' :-?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 641)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:30 am

What are his other options?
Baltimore or Cubs.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 272)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby Madison » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:52 am

I'm going to say that Baltimore is in the lead. He could still land many places, like with the Cubs, but I think Baltimore would be the most willing to part with that kind of money.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby coke609 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:39 pm

I think Baltimore wants Vlad. That being the case they will probably be better off with the chaeper Javy Lopez.
Pudge amy not have too many options desides the Cubbies.
I think Boras has misjudged his market.
He was a hero in Miami. He should have stayed there.
I would NEVER vote Pete Rose into the Hall Of Fame
coke609
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1146
Joined: 6 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: THE FIELD OF DREAMS

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:50 pm

you knew boras was going to do this when pudge first signed the deal. the contract deferred money without interest making the present value about 7 million if i remember correctly, although it was called a 10 million dollar contract because that was the face value. so now boras is claiming pudge was a 10 million dollar player last year and deserves a raise while the marlins and every one else considered him only a 7 million dollar player last year. i will be laughing when millwood has to settle for less than the 5 years @15 million per year that boras claims was offered by one team. i will becrying when jd drew plays in 30 games next year and boras demands atleast 500k for each game played.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 3766
Joined: 1 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: bored at work

Postby wrveres » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:08 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:you knew boras was going to do this when pudge first signed the deal. the contract deferred money without interest making the present value about 7 million if i remember correctly, although it was called a 10 million dollar contract because that was the face value. so now boras is claiming pudge was a 10 million dollar player last year and deserves a raise while the marlins and every one else considered him only a 7 million dollar player last year. i will be laughing when millwood has to settle for less than the 5 years @15 million per year that boras claims was offered by one team. i will becrying when jd drew plays in 30 games next year and boras demands atleast 500k for each game played.


we think very much alike ..... Scott Boras is part of the "Axis of Baseball Evil"
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 641)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bell » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:37 pm

I can't see the Cubs adding another right-handed bat to their line-up. But I don't know how much that matters to them.

I would think the Orioles would be intrigued more by Pudge considering nobody's entirely sold on whether or not Javy will follow up on his 2003 season. And should the knees start bothering Pudge a couple years down the road they could just put him at DH.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1694
Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Stumbling along the AZ/WI border

Postby Area51's » Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:02 pm

wrveres wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:you knew boras was going to do this when pudge first signed the deal. the contract deferred money without interest making the present value about 7 million if i remember correctly, although it was called a 10 million dollar contract because that was the face value. so now boras is claiming pudge was a 10 million dollar player last year and deserves a raise while the marlins and every one else considered him only a 7 million dollar player last year. i will be laughing when millwood has to settle for less than the 5 years @15 million per year that boras claims was offered by one team. i will becrying when jd drew plays in 30 games next year and boras demands atleast 500k for each game played.


we think very much alike ..... Scott Boras is part of the "Axis of Baseball Evil"



Here here....exactly....!!!! ;-D I keep waiting for the mysterious "team behind the grassy knoll" that is offering Millwood 5 x 15.... Please pull the trigger now......Who is the team Boras?

Now I understand he needs to do what he does for his clients, but his info is less accurate than Iraqi info minister
If I were playing third base and my mother were rounding third with the run that was going to beat us, I'd trip her. Oh, I'd pick her up and brush her off and say, 'Sorry, Mom,' but nobody beats me.
Leo Durocher, Brooklyn Dodgers Manager
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1002
Joined: 3 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: night watchmen at Pork n Beans factory

Postby wrveres » Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:36 pm

Area51's wrote:
wrveres wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:you knew boras was going to do this when pudge first signed the deal. the contract deferred money without interest making the present value about 7 million if i remember correctly, although it was called a 10 million dollar contract because that was the face value. so now boras is claiming pudge was a 10 million dollar player last year and deserves a raise while the marlins and every one else considered him only a 7 million dollar player last year. i will be laughing when millwood has to settle for less than the 5 years @15 million per year that boras claims was offered by one team. i will becrying when jd drew plays in 30 games next year and boras demands atleast 500k for each game played.


we think very much alike ..... Scott Boras is part of the "Axis of Baseball Evil"



Here here....exactly....!!!! ;-D I keep waiting for the mysterious "team behind the grassy knoll" that is offering Millwood 5 x 15.... Please pull the trigger now......Who is the team Boras?

Now I understand he needs to do what he does for his clients, but his info is less accurate than Iraqi info minister


LMAO ... Baghdad Bob = Baghdad Boras ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 641)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball


Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 20:00 hours
(and 91 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact