Matthew Berry is an idiot.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matthew Berry is an idiot..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:55 pm

He used to show up on a lot of the ESPN radio shows broadcasted here in LA, I never found him to be that great, I liked when they gave Eric Karabell more time. I don't know what happened to Karabell, he used to have his own fantasy show, I know he's on fantasy 3:50 sometimes with all the other "experts" they have on.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sportsaddict » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:14 pm

TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:He used to show up on a lot of the ESPN radio shows broadcasted here in LA, I never found him to be that great, I liked when they gave Eric Karabell more time. I don't know what happened to Karabell, he used to have his own fantasy show, I know he's on fantasy 3:50 sometimes with all the other "experts" they have on.

Karabell reminds me a lot of John Clayton... its up to you to decide if thats a good thing or a bad thing :-b
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cobbs87 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:19 pm

Yeah I saw that. He predicted a Jason Bay type treatment of Howard where they simply wouldn't pitch to him.

He also said Adam Dunn is drafted too early. I have to agree with that.

And he mentioned K-Rod...he is one of those people who doesn't believe in drafting pitching early on apparently.

I can't remember who his steal picks were but they were pretty dumb also.

One was Barry Bonds I think...which isn't too bad. But there were others that were awkward.
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:28 pm

He just suggested Punto as your 3B because you can get him in the 20th round, thats horrible.

He also was high on Zimmerman who is a horrible value this year with that lineup.

He also said he wouldn't draft Cabrera or Wright in the 1st round, 3B isn't anywhere near as deep as these guys think, especially in an expert league with CI slots. There is a reason that Ensberg, Chavez and Blalock aren't going early, because they might be hurt/stink this year.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby eftda » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:38 pm

Ender wrote:He just suggested Punto as your 3B because you can get him in the 20th round, thats horrible.

He also was high on Zimmerman who is a horrible value this year with that lineup.

He also said he wouldn't draft Cabrera or Wright in the 1st round, 3B isn't anywhere near as deep as these guys think, especially in an expert league with CI slots. There is a reason that Ensberg, Chavez and Blalock aren't going early, because they might be hurt/stink this year.

Yeah I just saw this clip. he said not to draft reyes in the 1st round because you can get Hammy Ramirez later on. Then he said not to waste a pick on arod and take Reyes. :-? Berry was somewhat right about Arod = Ramirez in 2006, but Berry this 2007. Arod is in a contract year (if you believe in that stuff) and now has Abreu hitting infront/behind him. Alex Rodriguez will have a better season that Aram in 2007.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:40 pm

He really hates ARod, I remember watching the ESPN fantasy roundtable video or whatever its called and he was pushing for ARod to go like number 9 or 10. In general every comment he brought up I disagreed with, so I think he's one of the weaker experts I've seen.

He pushed hard for Santana #1 over Pujols too which is just ridiculous advice imo. Pitching is simply too risky to be doing that.
Last edited by Ender on Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby tgalv » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:44 pm

anyone read the recent free article on his site by David Srinivasan about Predicted OPS? what useful information could one possibly gain from this article? i know matthew berry probably has nothing to do with it, but it is his site.

i remember last year, reading fantasy hockey articles by victoria mattiash or something like that. it's like they found some clueless chick off the street who knew nothing about hockey and let her write articles so they could have enough free content.

and how about those awesome articles where they have some idiot write about ripoff trades he managed to pull off. does anyone care about this? it's sad the writer even plays in those leagues.

i'm not exactly impressed.
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:19 pm

Don't remember if it was Berry or Eric Karabell who pegged Aubrey Huff as a sleeper but the stat that was brought up and I found interesting was that in the last three seasons, Vernon Wells has 270 RBIs and Aubrey Huff has 262 RBIs.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Old_Style » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:36 pm

After he refered to Alex Gordon as being,"All that and a bag of chips", I changed the channel.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers