Matthew Berry is an idiot.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matthew Berry is an idiot..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ggs » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:54 pm

i enjoy reading tmr, but take it for what it is, one guy's opinion. i'll value it as much as i value any of the other predictions/projections out there. at the end of the day its still my draft and my choices to make.
ggs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 115)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby pangbones » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:01 pm

TMR isn't the brightest fantasy mind out there, but I LOVE reading his articles, cuz they're funny!! He's funny, and for that I don't mind listening to what he has to say. I always watched the Fantasy show that used to air on Thursdays on ESPN, cuz it was entertaining. And you never know, he might point something out that you didn't see, or know that may help you.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mbuser » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:05 pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0231402/
check out the writing credits

btw i hung out with berry once. definitely a funny dude and overall a very nice guy
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:16 pm

elltrain22 wrote:
Drunken Rhino Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:27 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He may be an idiot, but not for saying that Howard is going too early. I completely agree w/ him about that.

He can be annoying, grating and just way wrong sometimes, but who of us out there isn't? I've never had a problem w/ any of his past blogs on MLB.com or his current stuff on ESPN.com. In fact, I find most of it entertaining. If you follow his advice word for word, yeah, you're probably going to get screwed. But if you take it, add what you know to the equation, then his info isn't so bad.

Geesh, give the guy a break.

I think the main reason I am so hard on him is b/c I want his job so bad, that it makes me jealous. I would love to get paid good money for doing, what most of us consider to be, fun as heck.

Bingo.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:18 pm

ggs wrote:i enjoy reading tmr, but take it for what it is, one guy's opinion. i'll value it as much as i value any of the other predictions/projections out there. at the end of the day its still my draft and my choices to make.

"As much as any other predictions/projections" ? :-P

I'm comforting my copy of BP 2007 right now, it is drastically offended. ;-)

See ggs, studies have been done proving TMR is essentially an idiot relative to projection sports. Yes I subscribed to his site when it first started and got the occasional laugh out of him, but after a while you realize he's just another cocky #$#% just trying to boost his ego and make $...think Jim Rome with no credibility or intelligence whatsoever(ok maybe bad comparison). I guess am a little burnt because initially I bought in to some of his crap. I guess one could seem him as a decent guy Buser, but when he evaluates himself and his predictions he straight up lies.
Last edited by Chrisy Moltisanti on Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:25 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
elltrain22 wrote:
Drunken Rhino Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:27 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He may be an idiot, but not for saying that Howard is going too early. I completely agree w/ him about that.

He can be annoying, grating and just way wrong sometimes, but who of us out there isn't? I've never had a problem w/ any of his past blogs on MLB.com or his current stuff on ESPN.com. In fact, I find most of it entertaining. If you follow his advice word for word, yeah, you're probably going to get screwed. But if you take it, add what you know to the equation, then his info isn't so bad.

Geesh, give the guy a break.

I think the main reason I am so hard on him is b/c I want his job so bad, that it makes me jealous. I would love to get paid good money for doing, what most of us consider to be, fun as heck.

Bingo.

I've found it easy to win decent $ playing CBS sports (see jcolton, making 40+K off of basketball) and I've been offered to do basketball projections/writing for $. I'd rather have fun with it, be more realistic and banter at the cafe. I think worried about getting paid for it could easily suck the fun out of it. Just me ....plus the industry that pays me is even more exhilarating and economically beneficial...and you get all the free top shelf booze you could ever ask for. :-D
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ggs » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:42 pm

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:See ggs, studies have been done proving TMR is essentially an idiot relative to projection sports. Yes I subscribed to his site when it first started and got the occasional laugh out of him, but after a while you realize he's just another cocky #$#% just trying to boost his ego and make $...think Jim Rome with no credibility or intelligence whatsoever(ok maybe bad comparison). I guess am a little burnt because initially I bought in to some of his crap. I guess one could seem him as a decent guy Buser, but when he evaluates himself and his predictions he straight up lies.

fair enough, at some point you gotta wonder if all these sources are really feeding off of one another - change one thing here and one thing there, and you can re-release it as your own projections.

sounds like its personal to you, sorry to hear. berry's always seemed pretty up front about what he says and whether it works or not (ie love/hate column), i guess even the best projectors cant predict em all.
ggs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 115)

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:04 pm

I'll find the link where jcolton proves Berry is not upfront in his hot/cold column or wherever he evaluates his predictions if you like ggs. Don't be a duped.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bleach168 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:35 pm

mbuser wrote:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0231402/
check out the writing credits

btw i hung out with berry once. definitely a funny dude and overall a very nice guy

Crocodile Dundee in LA! It doesn't get any funnier than that! (not meant as a compliment)
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby davidmarver » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:30 pm

Ender wrote:Put up almost the same stats last year, has more of a track record, has better protection behind him and plays in a division with a lot of bad pitchers in it.

Have you seen the Nationals pitching? How about the Marlins bullpen? The back-end of the Mets rotation? You're saying the Yankees, Orioles, Blue Jays, and D-Rays have a combined worse pitching staff than the NL-East sans Philly? No way.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers