Chris B. Young (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chris B. Young (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby West » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:34 pm

Yeah it rubs me wrong when someone says a player was a bust because he was hurt. He was hurt, simple as that. Hermida, Hardy, Rios, Gomes etc weren't busts, they were guys who got hurt so didn't play a full season.

Any player that doesn't meet expectations is pretty much a bust to me. That doesn't mean they are going to bust this season or any in the future, but Hermida's line from last season (.251 5 28) - that was a huge bust for those who drafted him in the 12-15th round or earlier.

I like Chris Young this year. I think drafting him in the 13th round of a keeper is a decent spot to nab him if you want him. In regular leagues, it's tough to say. He had been going in the high 200's in Yahoo ADP last time I checked. I would agree with the poster who said Eric Byrnes could put up better numbers though, and most likely at a cheaper price.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 92)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby x_Momentum » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:34 pm

I agree that Young's hype is coming a bit too soon. But the potential is there.

As for Crawfish, I really do think he could pull off 20HR, 80+RBI, and 40+SB no problem this year. I feel like his '06 season was a warm-up to what is coming up this year. Crawfish is the leading man in the D-Ray`s intense OF. He`ll produce great numbers, no question.
x_Momentum
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RynMan » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:28 pm

I'm on the bandwagon. Hoooooooooooooooooooooooo.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:29 am

West wrote:
Yeah it rubs me wrong when someone says a player was a bust because he was hurt. He was hurt, simple as that. Hermida, Hardy, Rios, Gomes etc weren't busts, they were guys who got hurt so didn't play a full season.

Any player that doesn't meet expectations is pretty much a bust to me. That doesn't mean they are going to bust this season or any in the future, but Hermida's line from last season (.251 5 28) - that was a huge bust for those who drafted him in the 12-15th round or earlier.

I like Chris Young this year. I think drafting him in the 13th round of a keeper is a decent spot to nab him if you want him. In regular leagues, it's tough to say. He had been going in the high 200's in Yahoo ADP last time I checked. I would agree with the poster who said Eric Byrnes could put up better numbers though, and most likely at a cheaper price.

I disagree 100%, when someone hypes a player as a sleeper and that player gets hurt you simply cannot call it a bust. Guys get hurt, its the nature of the game. When Pujols goes down in May next year he's not a bust, he's a guy that got hurt. You didn't do anything wrong drafting him 1st, he wasn't a bad choice, he just got hurt, it happens.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby davidmarver » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:31 am

I own him in a deep dynasty league, but I wouldn't consider Young in redrafts until fairly late. He's not going to hit above .270; basically, he's a cheap version of Mike Cameron. The Crawford comparisons are unfounded.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:44 am

davidmarver wrote:I own him in a deep dynasty league, but I wouldn't consider Young in redrafts until fairly late. He's not going to hit above .270; basically, he's a cheap version of Mike Cameron. The Crawford comparisons are unfounded.

He has more power and less speed than Crawford.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby itodd » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:36 pm

i just picked him up off the WW in a yahoo championship league.

weeeee
itodd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:59 am

thedude wrote:I am drinking the Kool-Aid. Chris Young goes 20-20 and wins the ROY in a landslide. I think there is a good chance that Chris Young has better home run and steals numbers than anyone else named Young this year, while hitting around .270.

I'm guzzling the kool-aid by the gallon. I'm not the only one either. It's not just Baseball Prospectus. It's Forecaster as well and Rotowire to a smaller extent. Yahoo's on the bandwagon. This guy has the potential to be something really special and he's worth a reach. Just realize that if you draft him for more than .260/15/15 like one of the previous posters mentioned that you're gambling on him. I like him a lot more than a lot of gambles you can take this year though and he has a 90th percentile projection from PECOTA of .312/.398/.619 with 31/104/88/22. That's some crazy upside there for a guy you can pick up 10th round or later in a lot of leagues.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

what are some projections for chris b young this year?

Postby Laean » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:08 am

sorry if this has been discussed before, but i'm quite incompetent with the search feature and wasn't able to find any extensive discussion on him.

i just finished my draft a little while ago, and the waiver claims are going through tonight. chris b young wasn't drafted, and i'm thinking of waivering chris b young and tank tankersley. i'm just wondering who should have the higher priority. (going to drop luis castillo and scot linebrink).
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:27 am

i would let the waiver period pass by since nobody drafted them. don't waste your waiver priority unless its 12 or something. same with tank.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?pl ... osition=OF

has some projections for chris young.

i have him too but i'm worried about his low average (adam dunn-like) projections. seems to be around .250-.260, but espn has him at .240, pretty scary. he's going to hit leadoff so more steals and less rbis than people expect.
i'm not expecting much and will keep him on short leash since he was second to my last pick and there is a deep FA/waiver pool.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers