Middle Relievers - Who's this year surprises? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Middle Relievers - Who's this year surprises?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby davidmarver » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:20 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Right, and all of the generalities would be wrong. If you said close to the middle of California then you would be correct.

No, the middle doesn't refer to the exact mid-point, otherwise it'd be specified as the mid-point. If a pitcher has to throw 94.5 to be considered someone who throws "mid 90s" then no one in MLB throws mid-90s consistently enough to qualify. The only thing middle specifies is that it is equidistant from its limits. The range 93-96 is a middle range (an appropriate one seeing as it results in 40% of the data, quite close to the 33% that an exact three-tier result would) of the 90s, since it is three MPH from the upper limit (99) and lower limit (90).

Havol is close to Havok but still not correct.

Thought I made my point pretty obvious, but I guess not. Look harder. ;-D
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:35 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Right, and all of the generalities would be wrong. If you said close to the middle of California then you would be correct.

No, the middle doesn't refer to the exact mid-point, otherwise it'd be specified as the mid-point. If a pitcher has to throw 94.5 to be considered someone who throws "mid 90s" then no one in MLB throws mid-90s consistently enough to qualify. The only thing middle specifies is that it is equidistant from its limits. The range 93-96 is a middle range (an appropriate one seeing as it results in 40% of the data, quite close to the 33% that an exact three-tier result would) of the 90s, since it is three MPH from the upper limit (99) and lower limit (90).

Havol is close to Havok but still not correct.

Thought I made my point pretty obvious, but I guess not. Look harder. ;-D

L comes after K which is still wrong. ;-D
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 133)

Postby davidmarver » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:39 pm

Havol wrote:Well, 94 is still not mid 90's as he stated. 94.5 moh might be but he didn't state that Billingsley was throwing 94.5mph. Did he? Nope, so I'm right and marvel was wrong. But since I posted a link that Billingsley was throwing 95 & 96 last and marvel stated he threw 93 & 94...I disproved him again. lol just messing with you marvel.

:-°
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:42 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Havol wrote:Well, 94 is still not mid 90's as he stated. 94.5 moh might be but he didn't state that Billingsley was throwing 94.5mph. Did he? Nope, so I'm right and marvel was wrong. But since I posted a link that Billingsley was throwing 95 & 96 last and marvel stated he threw 93 & 94...I disproved him again. lol just messing with you marvel.

:-°

Sorry, I'm a comic book fan. Its 2nd nature for me to type Marvel.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Tommy John » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:13 am

This thread has become dissapointing
Tommy John
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:20 am

Good because there are enough links to past threads addressing MRs in this thread not to mention the others that have been brought up.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:53 am

Havok1517 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:Havok, you don't want to argue math with a former math major :-o

Well, 94 is still not mid 90's as he stated. 94.5 moh might be but he didn't state that Billingsley was throwing 94.5mph. Did he? Nope, so I'm right and marvel was wrong. But since I posted a link that Billingsley was throwing 95 & 96 last and marvel stated he threw 93 & 94...I disproved him again. lol just messing with you marvel.

Sorry but 94 is mid 90s...
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:54 am

Havok1517 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
mbuser wrote:
Niffoc4 wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:billingsley
You took mine!
That's exactly who I thought of. He is a converted starter who throws hard and is a top prospect. NOw they are moving him to the bullpen... sounds eerily similar to Zumaya (which is the only reason I haven't cut him).

i haven't seen him pitch, but i guess i'm surprised by no mention of control issues with a guy who walked as many as he K'd last season? he had a high walk rate even in the minors (3.7/9). looks like he's a GB pitcher (48% last season) so that certainly helps, but why should i be all over this guy considering his 1.67 WHIP last season? zumaya comparisons seem fair in that his walk rate has always been high, also (4.5/9 majors, 4.2/9 minors), but can you guys break billingsley down a bit more for me?

He beat the Padres in his debut if I remember correctly. His best two pitches -- which is really all you need as a reliever -- are a mid 90's two seamer and a slider. Yeah, his BB rate is high, but looking at Zumaya and Broxton, as you cited, you see that doesn't discount the possibility of Billingsley being a successful reliever this season. Hell, Broxton walked 12 in 13.2 innings in 2005, yet his 2006 was amazing. I think Billingsley could subsist as a reliever quite well in 2007, but with Saito and Broxton already at the chomping bit for saves, his only value would come in the ERA, maybe WHIP boost, and K rate. But for that to happen a lot has to go right, and I'm not sure the Dodgers are best off transforming him into a reliever.

Nah, Neshek's fastball peaks at 92 mph but usually hits in the 88-90 range.

It doesn't matter with his delivery and a nasty slider, he will be successful.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:54 am

Yoda wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:Havok, you don't want to argue math with a former math major :-o

Well, 94 is still not mid 90's as he stated. 94.5 moh might be but he didn't state that Billingsley was throwing 94.5mph. Did he? Nope, so I'm right and marvel was wrong. But since I posted a link that Billingsley was throwing 95 & 96 last and marvel stated he threw 93 & 94...I disproved him again. lol just messing with you marvel.

No, 94.5 is.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:57 am

Havok1517 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

No, 94.5 is.

Trust me, 94, 95, 96 is considered mid 90s in most free countries.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers