Middle Relievers - Who's this year surprises? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Middle Relievers - Who's this year surprises?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Niffoc4 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:01 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:billingsley
You took mine!
That's exactly who I thought of. He is a converted starter who throws hard and is a top prospect. NOw they are moving him to the bullpen... sounds eerily similar to Zumaya (which is the only reason I haven't cut him).
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1700
(Past Year: 9)
Joined: 26 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby oddmanout7 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:05 am

What about Brian Wilson. People are throwing his name around as a replacement closer if Benitez is dealt...Whatcha think of him?
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3935
Joined: 3 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:55 am

oddmanout7 wrote:What about Brian Wilson. People are throwing his name around as a replacement closer if Benitez is dealt...Whatcha think of him?


Eh...I'm not high on him.

Billingsley I like
Villanueva I like
Brad Thompson from the Cards
Matt Miller on the Indians
Pedro Feliciano for the Mets
Heath Bell for the Padres
Kiko Calero
Kevin Gregg
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Postby bigwords » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:22 pm

5 rookies who may be shining in middle relief roles by the end of the season:

Joe Smith (Mets)
Brandon Morrow (Mariners)
Jon Meloan (Dodgers)
Jason Windsor (Oakland)
Brandon League (Toronto)
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1026
Joined: 7 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:31 pm

bigwords wrote:5 rookies who may be shining in middle relief roles by the end of the season:

Joe Smith (Mets)
Brandon Morrow (Mariners)
Jon Meloan (Dodgers)
Jason Windsor (Oakland)
Brandon League (Toronto)


They've said in Oakland that Windsor isn't a good fit in the bullpen and he'll remain a starter, whether with Sacramento or Oakland.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13262
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Manhattan, KS

Postby mbuser » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:18 pm

Niffoc4 wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:billingsley
You took mine!
That's exactly who I thought of. He is a converted starter who throws hard and is a top prospect. NOw they are moving him to the bullpen... sounds eerily similar to Zumaya (which is the only reason I haven't cut him).

i haven't seen him pitch, but i guess i'm surprised by no mention of control issues with a guy who walked as many as he K'd last season? he had a high walk rate even in the minors (3.7/9). looks like he's a GB pitcher (48% last season) so that certainly helps, but why should i be all over this guy considering his 1.67 WHIP last season? zumaya comparisons seem fair in that his walk rate has always been high, also (4.5/9 majors, 4.2/9 minors), but can you guys break billingsley down a bit more for me?
Image
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1197
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 21 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby HotCornR » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:30 pm

Anyone mention Pat Neshek with the Twins? I am big on him this year and he fits right into what you guys are talking about. He has had a bit of a tough spring, but I don't too much stock in spring #'s. Also, he has his coach in his corner which is great for any young pitcher...
HotCornR
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 88
Joined: 13 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Chicago

Postby davidmarver » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:48 pm

mbuser wrote:
Niffoc4 wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:billingsley
You took mine!
That's exactly who I thought of. He is a converted starter who throws hard and is a top prospect. NOw they are moving him to the bullpen... sounds eerily similar to Zumaya (which is the only reason I haven't cut him).

i haven't seen him pitch, but i guess i'm surprised by no mention of control issues with a guy who walked as many as he K'd last season? he had a high walk rate even in the minors (3.7/9). looks like he's a GB pitcher (48% last season) so that certainly helps, but why should i be all over this guy considering his 1.67 WHIP last season? zumaya comparisons seem fair in that his walk rate has always been high, also (4.5/9 majors, 4.2/9 minors), but can you guys break billingsley down a bit more for me?

He beat the Padres in his debut if I remember correctly. His best two pitches -- which is really all you need as a reliever -- are a mid 90's two seamer and a slider. Yeah, his BB rate is high, but looking at Zumaya and Broxton, as you cited, you see that doesn't discount the possibility of Billingsley being a successful reliever this season. Hell, Broxton walked 12 in 13.2 innings in 2005, yet his 2006 was amazing. I think Billingsley could subsist as a reliever quite well in 2007, but with Saito and Broxton already at the chomping bit for saves, his only value would come in the ERA, maybe WHIP boost, and K rate. But for that to happen a lot has to go right, and I'm not sure the Dodgers are best off transforming him into a reliever.
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:10 pm

davidmarver wrote:
mbuser wrote:
Niffoc4 wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:billingsley
You took mine!
That's exactly who I thought of. He is a converted starter who throws hard and is a top prospect. NOw they are moving him to the bullpen... sounds eerily similar to Zumaya (which is the only reason I haven't cut him).

i haven't seen him pitch, but i guess i'm surprised by no mention of control issues with a guy who walked as many as he K'd last season? he had a high walk rate even in the minors (3.7/9). looks like he's a GB pitcher (48% last season) so that certainly helps, but why should i be all over this guy considering his 1.67 WHIP last season? zumaya comparisons seem fair in that his walk rate has always been high, also (4.5/9 majors, 4.2/9 minors), but can you guys break billingsley down a bit more for me?

He beat the Padres in his debut if I remember correctly. His best two pitches -- which is really all you need as a reliever -- are a mid 90's two seamer and a slider. Yeah, his BB rate is high, but looking at Zumaya and Broxton, as you cited, you see that doesn't discount the possibility of Billingsley being a successful reliever this season. Hell, Broxton walked 12 in 13.2 innings in 2005, yet his 2006 was amazing. I think Billingsley could subsist as a reliever quite well in 2007, but with Saito and Broxton already at the chomping bit for saves, his only value would come in the ERA, maybe WHIP boost, and K rate. But for that to happen a lot has to go right, and I'm not sure the Dodgers are best off transforming him into a reliever.


Nah, Neshek's fastball peaks at 92 mph but usually hits in the 88-90 range.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8510
(Past Year: 115)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:14 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
mbuser wrote:
Niffoc4 wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:billingsley
You took mine!
That's exactly who I thought of. He is a converted starter who throws hard and is a top prospect. NOw they are moving him to the bullpen... sounds eerily similar to Zumaya (which is the only reason I haven't cut him).

i haven't seen him pitch, but i guess i'm surprised by no mention of control issues with a guy who walked as many as he K'd last season? he had a high walk rate even in the minors (3.7/9). looks like he's a GB pitcher (48% last season) so that certainly helps, but why should i be all over this guy considering his 1.67 WHIP last season? zumaya comparisons seem fair in that his walk rate has always been high, also (4.5/9 majors, 4.2/9 minors), but can you guys break billingsley down a bit more for me?

He beat the Padres in his debut if I remember correctly. His best two pitches -- which is really all you need as a reliever -- are a mid 90's two seamer and a slider. Yeah, his BB rate is high, but looking at Zumaya and Broxton, as you cited, you see that doesn't discount the possibility of Billingsley being a successful reliever this season. Hell, Broxton walked 12 in 13.2 innings in 2005, yet his 2006 was amazing. I think Billingsley could subsist as a reliever quite well in 2007, but with Saito and Broxton already at the chomping bit for saves, his only value would come in the ERA, maybe WHIP boost, and K rate. But for that to happen a lot has to go right, and I'm not sure the Dodgers are best off transforming him into a reliever.


Nah, Neshek's fastball peaks at 92 mph but usually hits in the 88-90 range.

I was talking about Billingsley, not Neshek. Billingsley hits 93-94 regularly. That's mid-90s in baseball terms.
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: scarnicease and 11 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Aug. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Baltimore at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Houston at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
San Francisco at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Tampa Bay at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Atlanta at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Seattle at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Kansas City at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Pittsburgh at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Miami at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Diego at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
LA Angels at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
NY Mets at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact