Middle Relievers - Who's this year surprises? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Middle Relievers - Who's this year surprises?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Middle Relievers - Who's this year surprises?

Postby Ed4252 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:01 pm

Take a look at these threads from last year:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... ?t=167194&
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... ?t=171568&

No where do you see names like Broxton/Meredith/Zumaya

Predicting how middle relievers do seems more difficult than predicting hitters/Starting Pitchers

So which young "studs" will surprise this year that no one has really mentioned much?
Ed4252
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:04 pm

I still think Al Reyes will come back and have a great campaign. But he's no youngster. Can't think of any youngster right now. But I still think Chin-Hui Tsao of the Dodgers has potential to be a very good end of the pen pitcher. But he's kinda stuck in a bad situation there in LA
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:08 pm

Well, Zumaya was a starter before last season, while Meredith didn't have a roster spot in Boston and wasn't given the luxury of Petco until mid-way through the first-half of last season. That's why those two weren't on any lists. Broxton had walked 12 in his 13 innings above AA before last season, so it was rather unheard of for him to have the success he did last season.

As far as the guys who can be this year's Broxton, Zumaya, or Meredith are, it really is still a guess. I guess, from the track record, look at young minor league flame-throwing starters on teams that may need bullpen help.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Ed4252 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:58 pm

davidmarver wrote:Well, Zumaya was a starter before last season, while Meredith didn't have a roster spot in Boston and wasn't given the luxury of Petco until mid-way through the first-half of last season. That's why those two weren't on any lists. Broxton had walked 12 in his 13 innings above AA before last season, so it was rather unheard of for him to have the success he did last season.

As far as the guys who can be this year's Broxton, Zumaya, or Meredith are, it really is still a guess. I guess, from the track record, look at young minor league flame-throwing starters on teams that may need bullpen help.

Broxton was a top 60 prospect according to baseballamerica though and Zumaya was like a top 40 prospect at one time. I was surprised by Meredith though

might want to take a look at Tim Lincecum/Jeff Niemann/Adam Miller/Luke Hochevar for this year
Ed4252
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:06 pm

Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:23 pm

Villanueva? I hope he starts though.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:50 pm

Ramon Ramirez has had pretty good numbers in Col.
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:49 am

billingsley
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:02 am

Ed4252 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Well, Zumaya was a starter before last season, while Meredith didn't have a roster spot in Boston and wasn't given the luxury of Petco until mid-way through the first-half of last season. That's why those two weren't on any lists. Broxton had walked 12 in his 13 innings above AA before last season, so it was rather unheard of for him to have the success he did last season.

Broxton was a top 60 prospect according to baseballamerica though and Zumaya was like a top 40 prospect at one time. I was surprised by Meredith though

might want to take a look at Tim Lincecum/Jeff Niemann/Adam Miller/Luke Hochevar for this year

Yes, but Broxton wasn't even on the roster to start the year, so no one was suggesting him as a pick. And Zumaya was not mentioned because there was the possibility all through ST that he would either start or close.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Re: Middle Relievers - Who's this year surprises?

Postby wrveres » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:43 am

Ed4252 wrote:Take a look at these threads from last year:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... ?t=167194&
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... ?t=171568&

No where do you see names like Broxton/Meredith/Zumaya

ok to be fair. When those threads were written, these guys weren't even on the 25 man roster. :-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers