Middle Relievers - Who's this year surprises? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Middle Relievers - Who's this year surprises?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Middle Relievers - Who's this year surprises?

Postby Ed4252 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:01 pm

Take a look at these threads from last year:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... ?t=167194&
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... ?t=171568&

No where do you see names like Broxton/Meredith/Zumaya


Predicting how middle relievers do seems more difficult than predicting hitters/Starting Pitchers


So which young "studs" will surprise this year that no one has really mentioned much?
Ed4252
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 662
Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:04 pm

I still think Al Reyes will come back and have a great campaign. But he's no youngster. Can't think of any youngster right now. But I still think Chin-Hui Tsao of the Dodgers has potential to be a very good end of the pen pitcher. But he's kinda stuck in a bad situation there in LA
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13262
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Manhattan, KS

Postby davidmarver » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:08 pm

Well, Zumaya was a starter before last season, while Meredith didn't have a roster spot in Boston and wasn't given the luxury of Petco until mid-way through the first-half of last season. That's why those two weren't on any lists. Broxton had walked 12 in his 13 innings above AA before last season, so it was rather unheard of for him to have the success he did last season.

As far as the guys who can be this year's Broxton, Zumaya, or Meredith are, it really is still a guess. I guess, from the track record, look at young minor league flame-throwing starters on teams that may need bullpen help.
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby Ed4252 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:58 pm

davidmarver wrote:Well, Zumaya was a starter before last season, while Meredith didn't have a roster spot in Boston and wasn't given the luxury of Petco until mid-way through the first-half of last season. That's why those two weren't on any lists. Broxton had walked 12 in his 13 innings above AA before last season, so it was rather unheard of for him to have the success he did last season.

As far as the guys who can be this year's Broxton, Zumaya, or Meredith are, it really is still a guess. I guess, from the track record, look at young minor league flame-throwing starters on teams that may need bullpen help.


Broxton was a top 60 prospect according to baseballamerica though and Zumaya was like a top 40 prospect at one time. I was surprised by Meredith though

might want to take a look at Tim Lincecum/Jeff Niemann/Adam Miller/Luke Hochevar for this year
Ed4252
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 662
Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:06 pm

Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8518
(Past Year: 122)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:23 pm

Villanueva? I hope he starts though.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:50 pm

Ramon Ramirez has had pretty good numbers in Col.
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 876
Joined: 9 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:49 am

billingsley
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 6508
Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: City of Grigori

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:02 am

Ed4252 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Well, Zumaya was a starter before last season, while Meredith didn't have a roster spot in Boston and wasn't given the luxury of Petco until mid-way through the first-half of last season. That's why those two weren't on any lists. Broxton had walked 12 in his 13 innings above AA before last season, so it was rather unheard of for him to have the success he did last season.

As far as the guys who can be this year's Broxton, Zumaya, or Meredith are, it really is still a guess. I guess, from the track record, look at young minor league flame-throwing starters on teams that may need bullpen help.


Broxton was a top 60 prospect according to baseballamerica though and Zumaya was like a top 40 prospect at one time. I was surprised by Meredith though

might want to take a look at Tim Lincecum/Jeff Niemann/Adam Miller/Luke Hochevar for this year


Yes, but Broxton wasn't even on the roster to start the year, so no one was suggesting him as a pick. And Zumaya was not mentioned because there was the possibility all through ST that he would either start or close.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Re: Middle Relievers - Who's this year surprises?

Postby wrveres » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:43 am

Ed4252 wrote:Take a look at these threads from last year:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... ?t=167194&
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... ?t=171568&

No where do you see names like Broxton/Meredith/Zumaya


ok to be fair. When those threads were written, these guys weren't even on the 25 man roster. :-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 692)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Oct. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact