Vlad is Gone ... ... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vlad is Gone ... ...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: C

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:49 am

The Cow wrote:Call me crazy, but I see VLAD going to Boston.

The Cow

You're crazy. How much you want to bet? I'd bet my life he does not sign with Boston this year. Your rationale must be: The Sox trade Manny, need a leftfielder so they go sign Vlad for $15 million a year? Nah. Theo will sign a second tier outfielder to take advantage of the wall, a la Mueller, Ortiz, Millar, etc.

If he's investing that kind of cash, he's getting pitching.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bell » Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:03 am

How do you make up for the loss of Pudge? Sign Vlad!

Now that Pudge Rodriguez is gone, the Marlins are considering a run at two other top free agents -- outfielder Vladimir Guerrero and catcher Javy Lopez.

The Marlins will go into baseball's winter meetings starting Friday in New Orleans and explore the possibility of making an offer for Guerrero or Lopez with money that Rodriguez rejected, according to sources with knowledge of the front office's strategies.

Landing a top name like Guerrero would be the kind of splash the Marlins would like to make as they try to win political support for a new ballpark. Guerrero was signed as a 17-year-old amateur in 1993 by Expos scout Fred Ferreira, who now works in Florida's front office.

Guerrero, 27, made $11.5 million while batting.330 with 25 homers and 79 RBI for the Montreal Expos last season, despite missing nearly two months with a herniated disk. If the Marlins land the four-time All-Star, he could play right field, with rookie Miguel Cabrera moving to left and Jeff Conine to first base.

But he would be out of Florida's price range unless he agreed to what one league source called "a creative contract." Such a deal could be contingent on ballpark construction, such as the four-year, $32 million contract signed by third baseman Mike Lowell last week, or it could include deferred money.

On Friday, Guerrero rejected a heavily backloaded five-year contract from the Expos worth more than $70 million.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:30 am

bell wrote:How do you make up for the loss of Pudge? Sign Vlad!

Now that Pudge Rodriguez is gone, the Marlins are considering a run at two other top free agents -- outfielder Vladimir Guerrero and catcher Javy Lopez.

The Marlins will go into baseball's winter meetings starting Friday in New Orleans and explore the possibility of making an offer for Guerrero or Lopez with money that Rodriguez rejected, according to sources with knowledge of the front office's strategies.

Landing a top name like Guerrero would be the kind of splash the Marlins would like to make as they try to win political support for a new ballpark. Guerrero was signed as a 17-year-old amateur in 1993 by Expos scout Fred Ferreira, who now works in Florida's front office.

Guerrero, 27, made $11.5 million while batting.330 with 25 homers and 79 RBI for the Montreal Expos last season, despite missing nearly two months with a herniated disk. If the Marlins land the four-time All-Star, he could play right field, with rookie Miguel Cabrera moving to left and Jeff Conine to first base.

But he would be out of Florida's price range unless he agreed to what one league source called "a creative contract." Such a deal could be contingent on ballpark construction, such as the four-year, $32 million contract signed by third baseman Mike Lowell last week, or it could include deferred money.

On Friday, Guerrero rejected a heavily backloaded five-year contract from the Expos worth more than $70 million.

Yep, I read that. Wouldn't surprise me at all for the Marlins to try and land Javy.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:59 am

see...that kind of crap doesn't make sense to me. The expos (one of the poorest teams) had offered Vlad 5yrs/75million last year and Vlad turned it down. Now he's going to go from one crappy team to the next? He should have just stayed where he was. I hope the Braves make a run for him but in all likelyhood I don't think he'll get much more then 15 mill/yer.

It'll be interesting.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:03 pm

trevisc wrote:see...that kind of crap doesn't make sense to me. The expos (one of the poorest teams) had offered Vlad 5yrs/75million last year and Vlad turned it down. Now he's going to go from one crappy team to the next? He should have just stayed where he was. I hope the Braves make a run for him but in all likelyhood I don't think he'll get much more then 15 mill/yer.

It'll be interesting.

A trevisc sighting. WOOOHOO. Where ya been? Welcome back!

I doubt the Marlins will sign him. Not enough money.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:27 pm

slammed. Just when I think I get a break. Boom! more work
also, i'm working on some draft software for this coming season

:)
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:30 pm

trevisc wrote:see...that kind of crap doesn't make sense to me. The expos (one of the poorest teams) had offered Vlad 5yrs/75million last year and Vlad turned it down. Now he's going to go from one crappy team to the next?

Did you just call the WS Champion Marlins a crappy team?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 378)

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:37 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
trevisc wrote:see...that kind of crap doesn't make sense to me. The expos (one of the poorest teams) had offered Vlad 5yrs/75million last year and Vlad turned it down. Now he's going to go from one crappy team to the next?

Did you just call the WS Champion Marlins a crappy team?

8-o Looks like you just got busted Trev.

Lol. :-b

Oh, and for the record, I do not think the Marlins are a crappy team. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:39 pm

did I miss something?

I was talking about From the Expos to the Orioles.

Vlad..

sorry.. Marlins are ok in my book as long as the Braves beat them this year!

;-D
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:44 pm

trevisc wrote:did I miss something?

I was talking about From the Expos to the Orioles.

Vlad..

sorry.. Marlins are ok in my book as long as the Braves beat them this year!

;-D

Glad you got that all cleared up. I was wondering about that comment as well. :-D

The latest article in the thread talked about the Marlins showing interest in Vlad and Javy. That's why a few people thought that you were referring to the Marlins.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers