Is Arod worth it? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Arod worth it?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nsulham » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:04 pm

ARod is probably the consensus pick as the best player MLB has to offer, correct?

My thinking then is that if you have a chance to acquire the BEST player in the game you do it. Period.

The best player in the league, still relatively young and charisma oozing out his pores. No knock on Manny, Pedro or Nomar but neither of those guys are big on endorsements, especially in the Boston market. ARod, however, would see his face plastered all over Boston and be the posterchild for the team that NESN wants.
Boston would fall in love with him and vice versa.

We've all seen that it's pitching lately that gets the job done. Great hitting is nice but great pitching is king (Beckett, RJ and Schill in 2001.) With Pedro, Schilling and Lowe and Foulke if he comes aboard, they've got the pitching. With ARod, Ortiz, Varitek, Millar, Damon, Mueller, etc., they should have enough offense to to keep them in games. Don't forget, with Pedro and Schill, when they are ON, you don't need a lot of runs.

I'd hate to see Nomar go, Manny not so much, but if Boston can get ARod they should still be in good shape.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikcou » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:40 pm

nsulham wrote:ARod is probably the consensus pick as the best player MLB has to offer, correct?

My thinking then is that if you have a chance to acquire the BEST player in the game you do it. Period.

The best player in the league, still relatively young and charisma oozing out his pores. No knock on Manny, Pedro or Nomar but neither of those guys are big on endorsements, especially in the Boston market. ARod, however, would see his face plastered all over Boston and be the posterchild for the team that NESN wants.
Boston would fall in love with him and vice versa.

We've all seen that it's pitching lately that gets the job done. Great hitting is nice but great pitching is king (Beckett, RJ and Schill in 2001.) With Pedro, Schilling and Lowe and Foulke if he comes aboard, they've got the pitching. With ARod, Ortiz, Varitek, Millar, Damon, Mueller, etc., they should have enough offense to to keep them in games. Don't forget, with Pedro and Schill, when they are ON, you don't need a lot of runs.

I'd hate to see Nomar go, Manny not so much, but if Boston can get ARod they should still be in good shape.

Right if the Sox do get A-Rod they are talking about getting Gonzalez...
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mikcou » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:41 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:or just move Nomar to second.....

I dont think the sox have enough money to have A-Rod and Nomar
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:02 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
2) Nomar does not want to play for the Sox. This isn't about Mia, it's about Nomar wanting to go back to SoCal.

Nomar has gone on a media offensive--if you want the WEEI transcripts or articles, let me know--saying he WANTS to stay in Boston.

As many have said, if Nomar goes to Theo and admits that it's a new market, that his skills have not been the same as before his wrist injury and accepts something along the lines of 3 years, 25 million, then all this talk goes away.

This is about not being able to resign Nomar (when he's asking for Jeter-esque money) as much as it is about getting rid of Manny.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Nomar4prez » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:09 pm

Madison wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:But Arod is the best player in the league, and will be for years to come. If he goes to sox, he can actually win the MVP legitamally.

Arod did win the MVP legitamently. Actually, he won it against all odds against him. He should have won it in '02 as well.

I also agree he deserved to win the MVP, but some people also didn't. If he put up those same numbers in Boston, he would win MVP HANDS DONE...no argument.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Erboes » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:04 pm

If Nomar ever could take a pitch he'd probably stay in Boston, but he's getting less and less selective while the team moves in the other direction. Boston may have noticed a correlation between his selectivity and his average, which has been in steady decline. It will be interesting to see how much Nomar's average falls in a different park if he is traded. The guy could be a .280, 35 homer player, which is my guess.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:59 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:
Madison wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:But Arod is the best player in the league, and will be for years to come. If he goes to sox, he can actually win the MVP legitamally.

Arod did win the MVP legitamently. Actually, he won it against all odds against him. He should have won it in '02 as well.

I also agree he deserved to win the MVP, but some people also didn't. If he put up those same numbers in Boston, he would win MVP HANDS DONE...no argument.

Cool. I gotcha now. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:40 am

I know Manny is disliked, but Arod won't come close to replacing Nomars/Mannys bat. Manny actually was the better hitter this year. The reason Arods better is his superior defense.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 291)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby LBJackal » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:51 am

A-Rod shouldn't have won MVP....he wasn't valuable to the Rangers in baseball terms. They were last with him, they woulda been last without him. It's not a stats contest, it's how valuable they are to their team.....however I'm sure this has already been discussed.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:57 am

LBJackal wrote:A-Rod shouldn't have won MVP....he wasn't valuable to the Rangers in baseball terms. They were last with him, they woulda been last without him. It's not a stats contest, it's how valuable they are to their team.....however I'm sure this has already been discussed.

Yep, it sure has. I have to say it though.

Arod was the Most Valuable Player in the American League last year. Delgado was a close second. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers