Is Arod worth it? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Arod worth it?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Arod worth it?

Postby timkell » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:57 pm

Sox fans out there. How do you feel about this Arod deal?

Do you think the Sox will really be significantly better subtracting Nomar and Manny and adding Arod?

Losing two top 15 offensive AL players and replacing with one, I just don't see the real benefit.

I think this is more about knowing the won't be able to keep Nomar, so they may as well shore up Arod. In the meantime, they can get rid of the Manny headache.

I just don't see this deal making them better next year. It should help keep them good for many years, though, so it's probably a good one.

Anyone else's thoughts on what it would mean for the team next year?
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Arod worth it?

Postby Jivedude » Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:05 am

timkell wrote:Sox fans out there. How do you feel about this Arod deal?

Do you think the Sox will really be significantly better subtracting Nomar and Manny and adding Arod?

Losing two top 15 offensive AL players and replacing with one, I just don't see the real benefit.

I think this is more about knowing the won't be able to keep Nomar, so they may as well shore up Arod. In the meantime, they can get rid of the Manny headache.

I just don't see this deal making them better next year. It should help keep them good for many years, though, so it's probably a good one.

Anyone else's thoughts on what it would mean for the team next year?

Not a big deal. We had more than enough offense to win last year. It was the pitching that was a bit lacking. Schilling is a big boost there and Foulke will be as well if he signs. Nomar is going to want big money next year. This way the money saved on Nomar can go towards resigning Pedro, Lowe and Varitek next year. Plus whatever we get for Nomar can be worked into some kind of deal for a replacement for Manny.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby PresHabib » Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:10 am

Honestly, I have no idea how I feel about the trade. I do know I hate the idea of trading Nomar though....hes just too beantown for me and I find myself having a brainfart every time I think about what to do with him.

I personally don't see how having Arod and some schmuck in left is better than having Manny and Nomar though. I mean, with Manny and Nomar you will get 60 homers a year and 230somethin rbi. With Arod you will get 45 homers and 120 rbi, but i doubt the other guy the Sox sign would be capable of going the necessary 15/110 to match nomar/manny production.

Personally, what I want to happen is for them to trade Manny for someone else who does not play shortstop, though i understand that that is just impossible.

if the sox are sure they can't sign Nomar though, then this is a good deal. however, i have seen no such claim that Nomar is certainly not going to sign with us next year. If they can keep Nomar thouhg, then I find trading for ARod an unnecessary amount of work to do for what in actuallity isnt THAT great an improvement (as you said, getting ARod isnt as great when you see it in terms of losing two top 15 offensive players. I guess its really amazing what Nomar's season ending 2 month slump made people feel about him though)

Some say the deal is all about money...but to me it seems ridiculous to take on baseballs biggest contract AND pay part of one of its bigger contracts for economic purposes. 2 + 2 does not equal 4 for me here.

Overall though dude, the entire trade confuses me and I'm really just thinking out loud here...I'm anxious to see what happens and what others think.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PresHabib » Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:12 am

I also dont see nomar buying into the fact that he will be getting 15-18 million on his new deal. i would imagine that he has to be cognizant that the market is falling and that he can expect something closer to 12-13 million, which the Sox should have no issue with paying.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chinch sacs » Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:20 am

Nomar is a GREAT player, why are all the offers I see for him like Washburn, O. Perez ect... The Sox should be getting a Good pitcher not Wash...

Just my opinion...
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Jivedude » Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:28 am

chinch sacs wrote:Nomar is a GREAT player, why are all the offers I see for him like Washburn, O. Perez ect... The Sox should be getting a Good pitcher not Wash...

Just my opinion...

Because they would absolutely have to trade him if the A-Rod deal goes through. So other teams know this and would try to offer the least possible in return.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:29 am

As a Ranger fan, I like the deal depending on how much of Manny's contract the Sox pick up.

Not sure I'd be happy if I was a Sox fan though. That's an awful lot of money for Arod. $25 million + whatever out of Manny's deal? Ouch.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby timkell » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:43 am

Jivedude wrote:Nomar is going to want big money next year. This way the money saved on Nomar can go towards resigning Pedro, Lowe and Varitek next year. Plus whatever we get for Nomar can be worked into some kind of deal for a replacement for Manny.

Jivedude, while I love your pic, I have to correct you here. There's no way they'll be "saving money on this deal.

Nomar will sign next year for a whole lot less than Arod is signed for.

I see the Sox doing this only to get rid of Manny, and it seems a damn shame to me that they'll get rid of Nomar just for the sake of getting rid of Manny.

The better thing would be to go all out this year, try to win it all with Nomar, and hope that that would convince him to stay.

I just don't see paying Arod 25 mill, plus paying some of Manny's contract being worth losing Nomar AND Manny.

As a Yankees fan, I love the deal! :-D
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:49 am

timkell wrote:
Jivedude wrote:Nomar is going to want big money next year. This way the money saved on Nomar can go towards resigning Pedro, Lowe and Varitek next year. Plus whatever we get for Nomar can be worked into some kind of deal for a replacement for Manny.

Jivedude, while I love your pic, I have to correct you here. There's no way they'll be "saving money on this deal.

Nomar will sign next year for a whole lot less than Arod is signed for.

I see the Sox doing this only to get rid of Manny, and it seems a damn shame to me that they'll get rid of Nomar just for the sake of getting rid of Manny.

The better thing would be to go all out this year, try to win it all with Nomar, and hope that that would convince him to stay.

I just don't see paying Arod 25 mill, plus paying some of Manny's contract being worth losing Nomar AND Manny.

As a Yankees fan, I love the deal! :-D

Well, Red Sox fans will be loving it when A-Rod breaks the HR record in a Red Sox uniform about 10 years from now!

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Jivedude » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:50 am

Oops, I thought I was logged in.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers