Manny's no-trade provision - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Manny's no-trade provision

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Manny's no-trade provision

Postby Greenrider » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:23 pm

so Manny has a clause in his contract that says that if the Red Sox give no-trade rights to any of their players, Manny automatically gets it as well.

but what happens if Manny is traded to the Rangers? presumably, the original contract is still in place, so does he automatically receive a no-trade clause from the Rangers if they have or acquire a player who has a no-trade clause?
Greenrider
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Manny's no-trade provision

Postby bell » Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:56 am

Greenrider wrote:so Manny has a clause in his contract that says that if the Red Sox give no-trade rights to any of their players, Manny automatically gets it as well.

but what happens if Manny is traded to the Rangers? presumably, the original contract is still in place, so does he automatically receive a no-trade clause from the Rangers if they have or acquire a player who has a no-trade clause?

Players (or agents?) sure do come up with some crazy stipulations. I would venture a guess that it only applies should Manny still be a member of the Sox and another Sox player receives a no-trade clause. So that would have no bearing on the A-rod for Manny deal. But in the end it really comes down to the fact that I know next to nothing--less than nothing really--in the field of contracts and other legalities. :-S
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:35 am

Greenrider wrote:so Manny has a clause in his contract that says that if the Red Sox give no-trade rights to any of their players, Manny automatically gets it as well.

That's a good question. Probably something that the two teams are trying to work out. Personally, I'd say that Manny will want a no trade clause included if he goes to Texas. That way Texas can't just dump him off wherever if they decide they don't want him. Makes sense to me.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bell » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:40 am

Don't I remember someone from the Rangers front office from last season stating that they would never offer a no-trade clause to another one of their players again after the hassle they went through trying to trade Palmeiro?

It would seem to me that Manny having a no-trade clause would kill the deal? :-S (still)
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:52 am

bell wrote:Don't I remember someone from the Rangers front office from last season stating that they would never offer a no-trade clause to another one of their players again after the hassle they went through trying to trade Palmeiro?

It would seem to me that Manny having a no-trade clause would kill the deal? :-S (still)

I think the Rangers would be fine with Manny having a no trade clause. I mean they will only be paying him $10-$15 million anyway. He's certainly worth that.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:55 am

great question ..... I would have to believe that the "contract" follows the "player" ... he would stiill get the provision ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby bell » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:57 am

Madison wrote:
bell wrote:Don't I remember someone from the Rangers front office from last season stating that they would never offer a no-trade clause to another one of their players again after the hassle they went through trying to trade Palmeiro?

I think the Rangers would be fine with Manny having a no trade clause. I mean they will only be paying him $10-$15 million anyway. He's certainly worth that.

That's true. If it's between A-rod's contract w/a no-trade clause or Manny's contract (reduced, even) w/a no-trade clause, taking Manny's would make sense. Thank you. It's all so clear now.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:12 am

bell wrote:That's true. If it's between A-rod's contract w/a no-trade clause or Manny's contract (reduced, even) w/a no-trade clause, taking Manny's would make sense. Thank you. It's all so clear now.

No problem at all. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby wrveres » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:22 am

Madison wrote:
bell wrote:That's true. If it's between A-rod's contract w/a no-trade clause or Manny's contract (reduced, even) w/a no-trade clause, taking Manny's would make sense. Thank you. It's all so clear now.

No problem at all. ;-D

Interesting ... I took that as sarcasim .. :-?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby bell » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:34 am

wrveres wrote:
Madison wrote:

No problem at all. ;-D

Interesting ... I took that as sarcasim .. :-?

It wasn't. Honest. Are you trying to instigate something? !+)
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers