Carlos Quentin MRI - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Carlos Quentin MRI

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Carlos Quentin MRI

Postby dmendro » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:35 pm

anyone out in Arizona have a radio update on Quentin's shoulder?
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Prooks25 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:42 pm

This is scaring the hell out of me. I HATE shoulder injuries. This could be something that bothers him all year. So much for him being a nice young sleeper.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Another Blown Save » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:14 pm

Quentin has small tear in shoulder
Outfielder won't swing bat for 10 days to rest non-throwing arm
By Jason Grey / Special to MLB.com

TUCSON, Ariz. -- The Opening Day lineup, which seemed so set coming into camp, became a little unsettled on Tuesday.

That was when the team revealed the results of a Monday MRI on right fielder Carlos Quentin's left shoulder.

Quentin has a small tear in the labrum of his non-throwing shoulder, and as a result, will not be swinging a bat for approximately 10 days.

The 24-year-old started feeling discomfort after taking what he described as an "awkward" swing on March 16.

"I'm not freaking out right now. I'm feeling positive," said Quentin in the clubhouse on Tuesday morning. "It's 9 a.m., and I'm in here putting on my gear and not in the hospital for some procedure, so that's a good sign."

"It's a non-surgical type of thing," said manager Bob Melvin. "Ten days from the original date [it happened], that's kind of what we're looking at."

Melvin stressed that Quentin would still participate in all normal drills with the exception of swinging the lumber.

"He will continue to do all his throwing and his running," said the manager. "The only thing he can't do is hit."

Quentin was out on the field for the morning workouts, throwing and fielding grounders. He did not catch the ball on return throws to protect him from the natural reaction to lunge or reach with his glove if a throw was off the mark.

One encouraging sign that Melvin pointed out was a similar type of injury to a member of last year's team.

"There are a lot of players that play with a small tear like that, especially in their non-throwing shoulder," said Melvin. "You look at a guy like Craig Counsell, whose tear was more severe than this one, and it was on his throwing shoulder. He's been playing with no problems. A lot of times it's how the individual handles it, and Carlos is a hard worker who has pretty good pain tolerance."

"Obviously, we don't want to run him out there if it's still painful every time," continued the manager. "But once this quiets down, there are enough guys out there playing with it that hopefully it's not a problem."

While the injury certainly puts Quentin's status for Opening Day in question, Melvin hasn't ruled him out just yet.

"We'll start him with some batting practice, and then see if we can get him in some game situations," said Melvin. "Once it calms down, it becomes how quickly we can get him in a cage and start swinging. We'll see where we are at somewhere around the 26th and see if we can get him ready to start the season."

Though Melvin wasn't ready to commit 100 percent, it appeared that the contingency plan would be to slide Eric Byrnes to right field and start Scott Hairston in left, as projected fourth outfielder Jeff DaVanon will start the season on the disabled list.

"We still have a lot of competition in camp," said Melvin. "But if you're forecasting, I wouldn't argue that fact."

Link
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yin_Xu88 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:51 pm

no!!!! Quentin was having a great spring and I was counting on him to be my 3 OF.

i think Ensberg had a shoulder injury too last year and it killed his season.
Yin_Xu88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby livinginarizona » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:00 pm

livinginarizona Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Big Train » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:34 am

via rotoworld...

Carlos Quentin, who has a small labrum tear in his left, non-throwing shoulder, received a cortisone injection Thursday and might take batting practice Sunday.

"If we can get him into a game with three, four, five days left," manager Bob Melvin said, "we have a chance to get him ready for the season." It's still possible he won't have to start the season on the disabled list. Mar. 24 - 8:19 am
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ChiSoxFan95 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:09 pm

Is he even worth picking up? He just got dropped... just not sure if his injury is serious or not.
ChiSoxFan95
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Y`s Guy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:27 pm

He's a great claim and stash guy.

My league's FAs come through tomorrow and hopefully someone will drop him. I doubt it though. We have 3 DL spots. :-/
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Prooks25 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:57 pm

ChiSoxFan95 wrote:Is he even worth picking up? He just got dropped... just not sure if his injury is serious or not.

Yes, pick him up.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby One-Hitter » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:27 am

does this make young more valuable or hold on to quentin???
"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson
One-Hitter
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates