Mafia - Forum Game - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Mafia - Forum Game

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mafia - Forum Game

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:13 pm

I've been debating whether I should try this or not. It's more of something to do in the offseason but it's pretty fun so I thought I'd give it a shot. There's a lot to read here, so bear with me. I think if you read through it will be a cool game to have here.

This site explains the rules the best. That site explains it as werewolves instead of mafia, and how to play it in person, but through PMs you can play on a forum just as well. Basically, we need a group of people to volunteer first. I was thinking 9 for now.

The 9 people will randomly be assigned a role through PM from me.

2 mafia
1 investigator
5 townspeople

After everyone has received their roles the game starts.

We start during Day (the other site says Night, but that is when there is an even amount of people) and the group of 9 people all discuss and vote for someone to be lynched from the town. When a majority is achieved (5 votes) the person is lynched (eliminated from the game) and we go to Night. The person killed will also have their affiliation known (Mafia, townsperson, or investigator).

During Night, the Mafia will conspire and pick someone to be killed during the night. They will PM me that person's name. Also during the night, the investigator will PM me someone they want to know about, and I will tell them if they are a townsperson or a member of the mafia.

If the townspeople eliminate the Mafia they win. If the Mafia makes it so that there is an equal number of Mafia and townspeople, the Mafia wins.

The strategy comes in discussing who to vote off. The Mafia will be acting as townspeople, but if you spot suspicious behavior (such as always agreeing with someone, or vice versa) then maybe they're hiding something. The investigator can tell people what they find out, but doing so might expose themselves and get them killed by the Mafia.

Some important rules:
  • Townspeople and the investigator cannot contact each other through PMs about the game. The Mafia must contact each other to decide who they will kill during night however.
  • No editing posts! - If you say something you didn't mean to, that's your mistake. Check your posts before hitting submit. Obviously there is no way to control this so you have to take it upon yourself to play by the rules
  • People not playing, or already eliminated must remain silent - The remaining members of the game are supposed to pickup clues by themselves. They can lie or say whatever they need to. Having outsiders point things like this out ruins the game

One other thing is about voting. You vote by simply saying,
"Official vote: member name"
and you can change your vote (in a new post) at any time by saying,
"Unvote: member name
New vote: member name"
however once a majority is achieved you cannot change votes. Whoever had the majority is eliminated.

So maybe there will be no interest but it's worth a shot. It really is fun when you get into it. If you're interested just say you want to play, and if there are questions feel free to ask.

Players:
pokeyjoe
JTWood
PlayingWithFire
GiantsFan14
Snakes Gould
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
suppasonic
wake
TheRock
Last edited by teddy ballgame on Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:35 pm, edited 8 times in total.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokeyjoe » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:16 pm

I'm gonna have to read the rules again to make sure I get it, but I'd like to play, it looks like fun.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:18 pm

pokeyjoe wrote:I'm gonna have to read the rules again to make sure I get it, but I'd like to play, it looks like fun.

Yeah it took me a while to get it too but after it gets started it's pretty straight forward. Glad someone is interested. Only need 8 more. :-D
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokeyjoe » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:19 pm

How do the mafia know who eachother are in order to "conspire" if the roles are assigned randomly?
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:19 pm

pokeyjoe wrote:How do the mafia know who eachother are in order to "conspire" if the roles are assigned randomly?

I will tell them via PM when I give them their roles who the other Mafia members are, and then they will know who to discuss with who they want to kill.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CadensDad » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:29 pm

WTF? 8-o

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby roninmedia » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:42 pm

I second the WTF? 8-o

The FBC has descended into the world of RPG. :,-(
I love playing rpg video games as much as any geek gamer, but forum RPG scares. I won't participate, but I'm pretty sure there will be enough takers.

*Edit* I read the rules and I remember playing this before at someone's apartment. O:-) :-D
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:49 pm

I understand it's confusing and there's a good chance it'll never happen but it's fun if you can get it started. Oh well it was worth a shot. :-/
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby roninmedia » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:06 pm

If we're playing standard rules on when the game ends, 3 mafia and 5 townspeople, the game could end very very quickly. Mafia kills one person, townspeople picks off a non-mafia member, game over.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:26 pm

Well the investigator counts as a townsperson, so it's 6-3. That way both sides need 3 more kills than the other.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk