Contract Bud - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Contract Bud

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:09 am

A minimum does no good without a maximum. what good is a 50 mil minimum, 5 years from now, when a few teams might be over 200 mil?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Gang Green » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:16 am

Hootie- I agree that a maximum cap would be most ideal. But the chances of that happening are slim. With the scaling down of salaries as it is, the players would scream murder if you tried to institute a maximum cap. It's hard enough just to get an adequate steroid test instituted. Like I said before, maybe and that maybe I say with little confidence, if you make the taxation penalty extremely restrictive for payrolls over $120 million, you might eventually make George cringe. You made the excellent point that the difference from the biggest to smallest payroll used to be about 3 to 1 in size and is now 8 to 1. Hopefully with a severe tax, we will see a return to the old scale.
Gang Green
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:23 am

blankman wrote:
BigLebowski wrote:AMEN!!!!!

How easily this could be fixed by setting not a salary cap, but a salary minimum.

Exactly what I've been saying for so long now ;-D

And I've been agreeing with you all the way. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:30 am

this is old news ....

The books are already being handed over and an the city has either 60-90 days to review ... I'll go find it hang on ..
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 758)

Postby wrveres » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:32 am

doug pappas wrote:Details of the Brewers' finances will be shared with three prominent Milwaukee business executives, as part of a deal brokered by the Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce.

The State of Wisconsin wants a seat at the auditors' table, but Wendy Selig-Prieb said she'll "beg off" the question of allowing the Brewers' biggest financial benefactor from seeing the numbers.

The auditors are very likely to confirm that the Brewers are in horrid shape. As previously noted, they were in horrid shape before Miller Park was built, to the point that the club couldn't pay its promised share of stadium construction funds because no bank would lend the money.

The Journal Sentinel reports that the Brewers lost $6.2 million in 1990, $6.4 million in 1992, and $15.7 million in 1994, the year their principal owner/Acting Commissioner provoked a strike as part of his cronies' fantasy of breaking the MLBPA. MLB's 2000 Blue Ribbon Panel Report [warning: link is a .PDF] showed almost $43 million of additional losses from 1995-99.

In a related note, three of the five counties which are levying a 0.1% sales tax to finance Miller Park now want to end the tax. In the words of Cedarburg supervisor Gerald Walker, "If the Seligs are going to put a crappy team on the field, then I don't think we should be paying for the stadium." Unfortunately for them, ending the tax wouldn't extinguish the obligation, only shift it to the counties' general fund.
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LBJackal » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:39 am

BigLebowski wrote:How easily this could be fixed by setting not a salary cap, but a salary minimum.

Do you work for the players association??? A salary cap would greatly improve parity, but the MLBPA would never agree to it.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ramble2 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:41 am

wrveres wrote:
doug pappas wrote:Details of the Brewers' finances will be shared with three prominent Milwaukee business executives, as part of a deal brokered by the Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce.

I guess we know who the next potential baseball owners are now! :-D

(For those who don't know, after the vaunted Blue Ribbon Panel proclaimed the dire financial straits of MLB, at least one (possibly more?) member of the Blue Ribbon Panel promptly went out and bought themselves a MLB team. Hmmmmmm, could it possibly be that MLB isn't losing as much money as they claim? Might they even, gasp, be making a profit? :-? But wait, if that were true, it would mean that MLB front offices (and individual teams) were lying to us! 8-o Say it ain't so, Bud, say it ain't so ...)
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 6)

Postby wrveres » Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:41 am

ramble2 wrote:
wrveres wrote:

I guess we know who the next potential baseball owners are now! :-D

(For those who don't know, after the vaunted Blue Ribbon Panel proclaimed the dire financial straits of MLB, at least one (possibly more?) member of the Blue Ribbon Panel promptly went out and bought themselves a MLB team. Hmmmmmm, could it possibly be that MLB isn't losing as much money as they claim? Might they even, gasp, be making a profit? :-? But wait, if that were true, it would mean that MLB front offices (and individual teams) were lying to us! 8-o Say it ain't so, Bud, say it ain't so ...)

You mean Buds "Three" teams ... Milwaukee, Florida and ,, Montreal .... And The only way one of those prominent Milwaukee business executives, is getting his hands on the Brewers is if he has an affair with Wendy :-) ... sleeping with a Selig women is one sure way to get yourself a franchise, ask Jeffrey Loria .. :-°
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DK » Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:58 am

I agree that there needs to be a salary minimum and maximum, but what happens to those low-market teams that don't meet the minimum? What's the punishment? If Steinbrenner can get away with the ... he does all the time, why can't the lower guys get away with it too?

Also, if there is a cap, it needs to increase or decrease due to inflation. Imagine if a cap of $4,000,000 was made in 1945. Would it still be? No. You have to rise and fall with the economy.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:09 pm

wrveres wrote:You mean Buds "Three" teams ... Milwaukee, Florida and ,, Montreal .... And The only way one of those prominent Milwaukee business executives, is getting his hands on the Brewers is if he has an affair with Wendy :-) ... sleeping with a Selig women is one sure way to get yourself a franchise, ask Jeffrey Loria .. :-°

OK...here is the plan...the Cafe' will start taking donations to buy the Expos....and then we will move them to Portland.....Who is going to volunteer to call Wendy....... :-b
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers