Contract Bud - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Contract Bud

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Contract Bud

Postby Gang Green » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:28 am

The Milwaukee Brewers were sent a letter by 57 state lawmakers to show their books. The lawmakers claim that the Brew Crew has reneged on their promise to field a competitive team. A sales tax was imposed on 5 counties in the Milwaukee area to help finance the building of Miller Park. The sales tax was on the good faith promise of the Brewers to field a competitive team. If the Brewers don't fully open their books, the lawmakers will subpoena for the records.
This was all facilitated by the former CEO of the Brewers saying he would reduce payroll by 25% for the upcoming season. He was soon given a buyout and left the team.
With Bud's daughter sitting on the Brewer's executive board, this is just a disgrace for MLB. Nice to complain about the lack of competitive balance in baseball and have this fiasco hit your hometown team. For all the complaining about the Yankees and Red Sox, you should check at the bottom of the baseball pile for the foul smell.
Gang Green
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigLebowski » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:33 am

AMEN!!!!!

How easily this could be fixed by setting not a salary cap, but a salary minimum.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby ramble2 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:35 am

If the Brewers books become part of the public record, that will be a HUGE blow to Selig & gang. It would also probably be the best thing that could happen to MLB.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 6)

Postby blankman » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:38 am

BigLebowski wrote:AMEN!!!!!

How easily this could be fixed by setting not a salary cap, but a salary minimum.

Exactly what I've been saying for so long now ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Gang Green » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:49 am

I agree with the minimum payroll requirement BigLebowski. Maybe $45 million should be the target, since that is what MLB is giving the Expos to work with this year. Buyout/contract any teams who don't want to compete with a $45 million dollar payroll. At least you know those small market teams who do compete at that level are going to try and be competitive. Perhaps an even more restrictive tax on payrolls over $120 million dollars will eventually make George cringe. If not, keep giving all that taxed money to the teams around $45 million, since they are trying to be competitive.
Ramble, I agree that opening the books to the public could be the best thing for MLB in the long run, but I think the Brewers accountants will play with their numbers worse than the Enron accountants.
Gang Green
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ramble2 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:53 am

Gang Green wrote:I agree with the minimum payroll requirement BigLebowski. Maybe $45 million should be the target, since that is what MLB is giving the Expos to work with this year. Buyout/contract any teams who don't want to compete with a $45 million dollar payroll. At least you know those small market teams who do compete at that level are going to try and be competitive. Perhaps an even more restrictive tax on payrolls over $120 million dollars will eventually make George cringe. If not, keep giving all that taxed money to the teams around $45 million, since they are trying to be competitive.
Ramble, I agree that opening the books to the public could be the best thing for MLB in the long run, but I think the Brewers accountants will play with their numbers worse than the Enron accountants.

That's what they did with Congress a few years back. I don't remember which congressman it was, but they complained about how worthless the data was that MLB provided. This could be different, though. If the state actually brings legal proceedings against the Brewers, then MLB may be forced to actually show both sets of books.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 6)

Postby KPucks » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:54 am

The problem with setting a salry minimum is that there are some owners that would probably not agree and want to sell their team. Its hard enough to find an owner now when there isn't a salary minimum, and that number of potential owners would probably decrease if there was one.
I do agree that baseball needs to something about teams like the Brewers because they are bringing down the game. Its just not going to be easy.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BigLebowski » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:58 am

KPucks wrote:

The problem with setting a salry minimum is that there are some owners that would probably not agree and want to sell their team. Its hard enough to find an owner now when there isn't a salary minimum, and that number of potential owners would probably decrease if there was one.
I do agree that baseball needs to something about teams like the Brewers because they are bringing down the game. Its just not going to be easy.

MLB has never had a problem finding owners for teams that I know of. The owners who aren't spending the money aren't the new owners. Every time a team comes up for sale, it sells rather quickly.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Siege1386 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:59 am

If there is a Cap there has to be a minimum.
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby BigLebowski » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:00 am

How was that for poor paragraph composition? Three sentences crammed together. Hit and run baby.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers