Where are The Weak Spots ... What would you Change - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Where are The Weak Spots ... What would you Change

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where are The Weak Spots ... What would you Change

Postby jellyman » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:54 am

I won 1 league in 2006, while remaking my team mid-season (traded, in various trades, Gomes, Taveras, Willingham, Jacobs, Accardo, Nate Robertson, Putz, Harden, Ibanez and a coupel of free agent choices ... you get 1 per week ... For Furcal, Thome, Br. Roberts, Schmidt, Burrell, Giambi, Ed. Encarnacion, and a free agent pick (was Hamels)).

Despite winning, I was worried about my LT situation. It is a perpetual keeper league (one-time draft, in 2005, 23 active players, 7 reserve players, 12-team Mixed, 5x5 league) - is that also called a dynasty league?. I was concerned about the age of my team, and the low BA (was last in BA last season, despite winning) ... and my closer situation.

So ... In the last 2 weekly transactions of the season, when it did not effect the active roster for the season, (the 2nd move move only took effect after the season was over), I waived Lieber, adn a scrubby OF, and picked up McClung, and then Chris Young of Ari. We had a no transaction period until the 1st week of December. In that 1st transaction period, I waived another scrub starting pitcher, and added Lincecum. I then traded a free agent pick for Scott Shields (K-Rod insurance).

But I was able to o little else, and am now frozen untul mid-April. No one wanted to offer anything of material value for Thome. I was able to trade Schmidt (who I am worried about) and Inge for Helton and Broxton. And then I gave up Granderson for Burke at the March 1 transaction deadline (gives me a 2nd 2B, and maybe better BA).

So ... what should I be trying to do from here, in anyone's opinion? There are some okay players in the free agent pool, but no obne that jumps out at me as better than my bench. My roster is below:

League #1: Perpetual Keeper, 12-team Mixed 5x5 League

C: Johjima, Olivo
1B/3B/CO: Helton, Ed. Envarnacion, Giambi
2B/SS/MI: Br. Roberts, Rollins, Furcal
OF: An. Jones, Ch. Young, Byrnes, Burrell, Hall
UT: Thome
Bench: Alou, Feliz, Murton, Burke

SP: J. Santana, Webb, Smoltz, Hamels, Capuano, Wang

RP: K-Rod, T. Jones, Broxton

Pitching Bench: S. Shields, McClung, Lincecum

Here are some of the free agent players on the wire, for Mid-April: Lieber, Geinke, Ol. Perez, J. Sanchez, Weathers, Piniero, Jorge Julio, and Coffey as pitchers. Bartlett, Winn, N. Cruz, Bard, Bourn, J. Encanracion, Edmonds, Payton, Thames, and Kubel as hitters.

If McClung loses the closer job by mid-April, obviously many of those players would be an improvement, and I do need another starter at some point. I do nopt want to waive <incecum, who i think will be a star at some point. I suppose I could waive Murton, Burke or Shields, at some point also.

What do people think? And where should I beef up, if anywwhere?

New poster, so thanks.
"If one word will suffice, then ten thousand CERTAINLY will."

"The lost causes are the ONLY causes worth fighting for."
jellyman
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jellyman » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:54 pm

bump ... lot's of people asking for comments, but no one giving them?

jellyman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Geek » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:04 pm

Maybe try to move Broxton for Zumaya, if you can.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ZigZagMan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:27 pm

Outfield looks pretty weak. I'd look to move some starting pitching.
ZigZagMan
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jellyman » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:21 pm

Geek wrote:Maybe try to move Broxton for Zumaya, if you can.

Agree ... I have tried to get Zumaya since July of last season. The guy won't budge. He insists only on packages that value Zumaya as the current closer for Detroit. I obviously want him as a hedge for T. Jones, bt I am not going to give up closer value, since I think Jones syands a 70-30 shot at being the closer all year ... and there is some chance that even if he fails Rodney becomes the closer.

jellyman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jellyman » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:28 pm

ZigZagMan wrote:Outfield looks pretty weak. I'd look to move some starting pitching.

zigag,

Agree also on needing better OF. Been trying to figure that out.

Gave up Ibanez last season, as part of a package tio get Furcal and Hamels (with Burrell and Schmidt ... also gave uop Harden and Putz). Was desperate for the steals.

Unfortunately, in this league, I am actually going to need another starting pitcher (will need at least 7 during the season ... not all active, but for matchups, especially with no-K Wang). I traded Schmidt to help improve my BA this off-season ... got Helton and Broxton (gave up Inge in that deal).

I had wanted Holliday or some other high BA OF, and offered Schmidt or Smoltz along with other talent, but no one bit (can't say I blame them).

Shoot, I would cut Alou, excpet the man just won't go away, and will now be hitting in the middle of that Mets lineup ... and when healthy, he can still hit for high average.

I MIGHT be able to part with Brain Roberts, if Burke plays well ... then I could pair Roberts and an OF for a better OF, and maybe a mid-level starting pitcher. But I need Burke to play well, or I will be killed at 2B.

Thanks ... I appreciate the thoughts so far.

jellyman
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team