How to clean a computer screen??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

How to clean a computer screen???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby knapplc » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:26 pm

Sandblasting. That's the best way to make sure your screen is spotless. ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7871
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Postby SniperShot » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:28 pm

Coppermine wrote:
SniperShot wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:i've used windex in the past and had no problems.
It can be bad to apply windex directly onto a laptop screen (or any LCD screen) Spray a paper-towl with windex first and then clean.


No, no, no... no ammonia based cleaning products on LCD's. Probably won't hurt if you do it once in a while, but why run the risk of ruining an expensive piece of equipment?

The rubbing alcohol solution is probably the best bet.
I only do it once every other month or so. Been ok so far after 3 years but I didn't know it was risky.
SniperShot
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

User avatar
Eagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 361
Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Postby acsguitar » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:41 pm

knapplc wrote:Sandblasting. That's the best way to make sure your screen is spotless. ;-D


I use gasoline and a match ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:47 pm

SniperShot wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
SniperShot wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:i've used windex in the past and had no problems.
It can be bad to apply windex directly onto a laptop screen (or any LCD screen) Spray a paper-towl with windex first and then clean.


No, no, no... no ammonia based cleaning products on LCD's. Probably won't hurt if you do it once in a while, but why run the risk of ruining an expensive piece of equipment?

The rubbing alcohol solution is probably the best bet.
I only do it once every other month or so. Been ok so far after 3 years but I didn't know it was risky.


Yeah, it will cloud it up really bad if you aren't careful. Half rubbing alcohol and half water is what a lot of the solutions you buy have in them. ;-D
t
joelamosobadiah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 390
Joined: 4 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: FBC Noob, from the Light Side.

Postby acsguitar » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:49 pm

They should do a mythbusters on this ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby SniperShot » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:08 pm

acsguitar wrote:They should do a mythbusters on this ;-D
They really should. I've been using 1 shot of windex on a paper towel to clean my laptops screen for the past 3 years. (Maybe 15-20 times total?) The screen is pretty much just as sharp now as it was when I got it. I always dry it right away with another to keep any residue from drying on it which probably causes the clouding effect.

Either way I'll probably change to just using water. I don't really want to continue running the risk of anything.
SniperShot
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

User avatar
Eagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 361
Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Postby Coppermine » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:22 pm

SniperShot wrote:
acsguitar wrote:They should do a mythbusters on this ;-D
They really should. I've been using 1 shot of windex on a paper towel to clean my laptops screen for the past 3 years. (Maybe 15-20 times total?) The screen is pretty much just as sharp now as it was when I got it. I always dry it right away with another to keep any residue from drying on it which probably causes the clouding effect.

Either way I'll probably change to just using water. I don't really want to continue running the risk of anything.


I heard the ammonia in the windex can scratch up the LCD surface which causes the cloudiness, but then again, this is really what I've heard. I don't have a certifiable source to back it up.

"Alfred, to the Googlemobile!"
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Coppermine » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:26 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Ha!

Google never fails me. I found a lot of message boards and blogs with info, but we all know they're unreliable.

So I decided to check with the experts at C-Net! They never let me down:

From their "Ask the Editors" section:

Q: I'm wondering, what's the best way to clean an LCD? I contacted the manufacturer, who suggested using a damp cloth, but now my screen is covered with streaks. Is there anything that can clean it and remove the streaks? Is Windex a valid option, or will it harm the delicate screen?

A: Never use a cleaning agent such as Windex on your LCD. Those cleaners often contain ammonia, which can, over time, damage your display's panel. A slightly damp, lint-free cloth, like the ones included with eyeglasses, or a microfiber cloth should do the trick. Never use paper towels! If you see streaks, follow the damp cloth immediately with a dry one. You can moisten the cloth with plain water or a commercial LCD panel cleaner, available at office supply stores. These commercial cleaners are often just 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water mixtures, so clearly, you can mix that yourself and save a couple of bucks. Just remember never to spray any liquid directly at your screen. Moisten the cloth instead.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Amazinz » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:26 pm

I have a buddy with projection TV that cost several thousand a few years ago. You are not supposed to use Windex and similar products on those screens either. He did all the time and never had the problem. So who knows but the way I look at is this: I spend a lot of money on my electronics and it's only a minor inconvenience. I'd rather waste a little time than taking a chance. ;-)
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby Coppermine » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:44 am

Amazinz wrote:I have a buddy with projection TV that cost several thousand a few years ago. You are not supposed to use Windex and similar products on those screens either. He did all the time and never had the problem. So who knows but the way I look at is this: I spend a lot of money on my electronics and it's only a minor inconvenience. I'd rather waste a little time than taking a chance. ;-)


;-D

Windex may very well be harmless, and I did read on one of the sites I was looking at that the ammonia-free Windex doesn't seem cause any problems... but really, it's and expensive piece of equipment.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact