Please rate my team! WHIR! WHIR! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Please rate my team! WHIR! WHIR!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Please rate my team! WHIR! WHIR!

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:04 am

What's up everyone!

OK, this was my first REAL draft of the season (I did a few mocks). I'm having a really hard time evaluating this team. After the draft last night I was really annoyed and felt like I did a lot worse than I expected. But I think that was mostly a result of having several of my picks swiped away right before me and that my team is actually better than I gave myself credit for. But I need other opinions...

It's a 12-team 5x5 H2H keeper league, but note that only picks taken round 4 and later are keeper-eligible (so Rios was my first keeper-eligible pick) and we get 3 keepers at the end of the year.

The number after the player's name indicates the round I took him in. K = A keeper from last year. I had first overall pick in a snake (so I picked 1/12/1/12, etc.).

Take a look and tell me what you think. I will help with yours if you need it. Thank you!

C Russell Martin (12)
1B Albert Pujols (1)
2B Brian Roberts (K)
3B Chad Tracy (10)
SS Edgar Rentera (9)
CI Kevin Youkilis (17)
OF Jermaine Dye (K)
OF Alex Rios (4)
OF Eric Byrnes (11)
OF Coco Crisp (13)
UTIL Travis Hafner (K)
UTIL Dan Uggla (7) Stupid pick. Had a brain fart, forgot I had Roberts. Trade bait.
BN Jeremy Hermida (15)
BN Shane Victorino (20)
BN Mike Lowell (21)
BN Doug Mientkiewicz (22) Last pick of the draft, a joke pick. Will be dropped.

SP Roy Oswalt (2)
SP Jake Peavy (3)
SP Curt Schilling (8)
SP Jose Contreras (14)
SP Scott Olsen (16)
SP Mark Prior (18) I figure at this late he's worth a chance.
SP Daniel Cabrera (19) Cheapest 200 K's you'll find.
RP Huston Street (5)
RP Bobby Jenks (6)

Obviously, I probably need another closer, and I feel like I'm low on SB's, but maybe that's only because I don't have one big steals guy?
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:52 am

Pujols and Hafner is awesome, but I can still envision this team losing the hitting categories quite a few times in a 12-teamer. The pitching - particularly the starting - is strong. I wouldn't worry too much about not having a tons of saves. Those can be picked up during the season.

If one of your other hitters goes on a power surge, you should be good. But if they do what they normally do, I think you'll probably need to be looking for one more good slugger before long.

Good luck!
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby pizzaboy76 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:02 am

Really you don't have much in the way of weaknesses. You got some good value picks with solid upside. I'm not fans of Byrnes and Crisp. Maybe package them with Uggla for an upgrade. Tracy has good upside, but might be another canidate to package and upgrade. Can you only start 2 RP? If so you're in pretty good shape with your pitching.

Please help when you get a chance.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 67#2104867
pizzaboy76
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Postby BUCCOFAN » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:08 am

This is a very nice team....

You could use another OF, "Star" but the OF is a deep, position, so you maybe able to ride it out as is. (really Like Hermida and Victorino) Pitching is solid, could trade Schilling for that top OF bat? and include Uggla, in the deal? }:-)

Please help me,

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=259240
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 199)

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:51 am

pizzaboy76 wrote:Can you only start 2 RP? If so you're in pretty good shape with your pitching.

No, I can start up to 4 (2 RP spots, 2 P spots). I'll be picking up Gregg if and when he clears waivers, and then watching the closer market like a hawk... Or make a trade... I was short a 3rd closer and McClung was left on the board really late but the guy right before me got him. :-[
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Don G. » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:58 am

Very nice team. You have Pujols, Hafner & Dye to anchor the power. Dan Uggla is definetly trade bait on that team but honestly, I would consider moving Roberts instead. I think Roberts hit his peak and Uggla hasn't reached his. That team always seems to outperform expectations. I'd sell high on Roberts and his name and keep Uggla.

Sick pitching staff. Oswalt, Peavy & Schilling are anchors. Peavy is gonna be healthy this year. Last year he suffered from tendonitis due to overuse from the WBC. Daniel Cabrera is nice at 19. Good picks at reliever too.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=259155
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PedroFan45 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:39 am

Trade one of your 2B for either an OF with good SB numbers or you could probably get a pretty good closer to help with saves

Help with mine?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=259245
PedroFan45
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:47 am

Don G. wrote:Very nice team. You have Pujols, Hafner & Dye to anchor the power. Dan Uggla is definetly trade bait on that team but honestly, I would consider moving Roberts instead. I think Roberts hit his peak and Uggla hasn't reached his. That team always seems to outperform expectations. I'd sell high on Roberts and his name and keep Uggla.

Hmm... I didn't even think of moving Roberts... interesting idea. Although a lot of people say the same thing you said about Uggla. If I remember, his minor league numbers weren't anything special and he probably overachieved last year. Thanks for the input.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mykedoc77 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:59 pm

You have a pretty solid team, very well balanced. I agree, that Uggla can be trade bait given that 2B is not deep at all. Roberts just signed a new contract so keep a close eye on his performance this season, you know what money does. He is will be under scrutiny this season, but a good sell high candidate. Trade one of them to retool your outfield.

Pitchers are very strong, nothing to worry about!!!
Mykedoc77
mykedoc77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shoelessjoetara » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:05 pm

No need to second guess yourself. You have a solid team.You will be fine.
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team