Peter Gammons is AWFUL! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Peter Gammons is AWFUL!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Peter Gammons is AWFUL!

Postby joshheines » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:45 pm

Here's a quote from his article today. "General manager Bill Stoneman has made it clear that he wouldn't even consider trading Garret Anderson for Garciaparra; so far, he has rejected a concept of Adam Kennedy and a top prospect, be it Earvin Santana (perhaps the best pitching prospect in the game) or power hitter Casey Kotchman. "

First, get a better editor Peter. His name is Ervin Santana, not Earvin. What is he corn?

Second, and more egregious, Ervin Santana is NOT the best pitching prospect in baseball. He's probably not even in the top 10. I'll take Kazmir, Greinke, Hamels, Floyd, Wainwright, Lee, Nageotte, Edwin Jackson, Greg Miller, probably Joel Hanrahan, Van Benschoten, and probably four or five others before I'd consider Santana. That's not even an subjective point of view. The scouts bear it out. The majority bears it out. Santana is definitely a good prospect, but too even utter that he is the best pitching prospect in baseball does a great disservice to all of Gammons' readers.
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Peter Gammons is AWFUL!

Postby bell » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:10 pm

joshheines wrote:Here's a quote from his article today. "General manager Bill Stoneman has made it clear that he wouldn't even consider trading Garret Anderson for Garciaparra; so far, he has rejected a concept of Adam Kennedy and a top prospect, be it Earvin Santana (perhaps the best pitching prospect in the game) or power hitter Casey Kotchman. "

First, get a better editor Peter. His name is Ervin Santana, not Earvin. What is he corn?

Second, and more egregious, Ervin Santana is NOT the best pitching prospect in baseball. He's probably not even in the top 10. I'll take Kazmir, Greinke, Hamels, Floyd, Wainwright, Lee, Nageotte, Edwin Jackson, Greg Miller, probably Joel Hanrahan, Van Benschoten, and probably four or five others before I'd consider Santana. That's not even an subjective point of view. The scouts bear it out. The majority bears it out. Santana is definitely a good prospect, but too even utter that he is the best pitching prospect in baseball does a great disservice to all of Gammons' readers.

I won't even point out your own lack of editing skills...

I also believe Gammons says "perhaps the best pitching prospect." Well, at least according to your quote of him.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blankman » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:25 pm

calm down josh, I don't think this is anything to get worked up about. There's plenty of other things to focus your frustration on ex. Bonds winning MVP over Pujols :-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Greenrider » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:44 pm

I'm going to keep saying this as long as people keep dissing Gammons - who else do you know who provides fans with that level of insider information on a regular basis?

fact: GMs tell Gammons things that they don't tell any other reporters. they tell him things because he is probably the one person who knows the most about what ALL the GMs are trying to do at any given moment, so he is the one they call when they want to know, say, what the market is like for Tejada without having to call around and tip their hand.

Gammons hands out a small measure of this info to the fans through his columns, and until that changes, I will read him, no matter how overblown his prose.
Greenrider
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bell » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:53 pm

I do wish that he would forgo his music recommendations. Pete, I don't wanna know what you think about Pearl Jam's latest, or whoever else should be given a listen! :-X It's such an awkward way to end a baseball column.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:24 pm

blankman wrote:calm down josh, I don't think this is anything to get worked up about. There's plenty of other things to focus your frustration on ex. Bonds winning MVP over Pujols :-D

Frustration? Writers were right, at least that time.

GREEN brings up a good point. Peter is privy to info most aren't. He's entertaining, and his job really is to speculate. He can be offbeat, Ortiz for mvp for example. Saying Santana is perhaps the best is a stretch.
My question is, why is Stoneman rejecting everything? I would take Nomar hands down over Anderson. And Kennedy and a prospect as well. Does he want Nomar for a Fossum type?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby blankman » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:24 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
blankman wrote:calm down josh, I don't think this is anything to get worked up about. There's plenty of other things to focus your frustration on ex. Bonds winning MVP over Pujols :-D

We don't need to go into this debate again. :-°
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby DK » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:17 pm

All I know is, if I were offered Nomah for Adam Kennedy and a prospect,

I'D DO IT.

What is wrong with Stoneman? I mean, he's ripping off the Sox and he's DECLINING? are you CRAZY? There is no doubt that in a fantasy league, that trade would get vetoed. I mean, come on Bill, wake up and smell the Nomah.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby LBJackal » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:23 pm

blankman wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:

There is no debate: Bonds clearly deserved the MVP. If it was the "Best Stats Award" then Pujols would get it, but Bonds is the definition of MVP.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DK » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:25 pm

LBJackal wrote:
blankman wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:

There is no debate: Bonds clearly deserved the MVP. If it was the "Best Stats Award" then Pujols would get it, but Bonds is the definition of MVP.

And Away we go....
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers