Griffey moves to RF - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Griffey moves to RF

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Griffey moves to RF

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:50 pm

Ken Griffey Jr. will play right field when he eventually makes his spring debut, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports.

Ryan Freel should be a substantial upgrade over Griffey in center, and Josh Hamilton will also show more range than Griffey when he's asked to fill in. At this point, it's reasonable to wonder whether Griffey can even be a capable right fielder. With Adam Dunn over in left, the Reds still figure to have as weak of an outfield defense as there is in the game.
Source: FOXSports.com

Good move. Once one of the best CF in history, Griffey's body and range fit better in RF than in CF. He'd likely be best suited for LF but Dunn in firmly planted there and is a worse fielder by far. The OF defense was already lacking but it improves here with Griffey putting the team before himself. It also makes Hamilton in CF a possibilty.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 117)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:56 pm

there are 2 walls for him to crash into in right though... 8-o ;-D

I'd really like to see him get a season in...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby bselig » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:03 pm

This move came a bit over a decade too late
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cordscords » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:47 pm

Finally ;-D
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby thedude » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:04 pm

The Reds really should move Dunn to First, Griffey to left, Freel to center, and put Hamilton in right.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:35 pm

thedude wrote:The Reds really should move Dunn to First, Griffey to left, Freel to center, and put Hamilton in right.

I agree with that since Dunn is horrible in LF and Hamilton has the strongest arm by far. But that would only work until Votto gets called up (predicted to be sometime in 2007) or Dunn gets traded (he does have a 13 mill option for 2008).
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 117)

Postby thedude » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:50 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
thedude wrote:The Reds really should move Dunn to First, Griffey to left, Freel to center, and put Hamilton in right.

I agree with that since Dunn is horrible in LF and Hamilton has the strongest arm by far. But that would only work until Votto gets called up (predicted to be sometime in 2007) or Dunn gets traded (he does have a 13 mill option for 2008).

Well that problem is probably at least a couple fo months away. In the mean time they should try to field the best team possible.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby pope » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:39 am

The reds have tried to move Dunn to first in the past.
Believe it or not, The "BIG DONKEY" is even worse defensively at first than at OF. 8-o

Hopefully for the Reds, Hamilton is the real deal. Freel playing center kind of scares me. The dude plays way out of control. He is the fielding equivalent to a heat seeking missile.
pope
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:44 am

pope wrote:

The reds have tried to move Dunn to first in the past.
Believe it or not, The "BIG DONKEY" is even worse defensively at first than at OF. 8-o

Hopefully for the Reds, Hamilton is the real deal. Freel playing center kind of scares me. The dude plays way out of control. He is the fielding equivalent to a heat seeking missile.

The stats say two things people in this thread should take notice of: Griffey really wasn't that good of a CF and Dunn has performed his best on defense while playing 1B.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:46 am

Havok1517 wrote:

I didn't know about the option. I thought Dunn was out the door. Either way Votto needs some time at AAA.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers