Just Drafted, Thoughts (WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Just Drafted, Thoughts (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Just Drafted, Thoughts (WHIR)

Postby BUCCOFAN » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:57 pm

12 team Mixed League, Auction $260 spending CAP ($80 FAAB), Fantasy Points, Keeper League, (we Keep 12 guys, from year to year, I kept the following marked below, from last season)

Weekly Starting Roster: Starting Roster: 2-C, 2-1B, 2-2B, 2-3B, 2-SS, 6-OF, 6-SP, 2-RP

MY ROSTER:
C-J.Mauer $15 (keeper)
C-R.Paulino $9
1B-T.Hafner $36
1B-A.LaRoche $6 (keeper)
2B-B.Roberts $21
2B-J.Cantu $3
3B-A.Gordon $1 (keeper)
3B-M.Mora $1
SS-J.Reyes $31 (keeper)
SS-T.Tulowitzki $3 (keeper)
OF-A.Soriano $28 (keeper)
OF-J.Bay $30
OF-J.Francoeur $1 (keeper)
OF-A.Rios $7 (keeper)
OF-W.Taveras $4
OF-K.Johnson $1 (hopefully eligible @ 2B, month into season)
SP-R.Oswalt $28 (keeper)
SP-J.Lackey $1 (keeper)
SP-J.Contreras $1
SP-C.James $1 (keeper)
SP-T.Lilly $1
SP-F.Liriano $6 (DL Bound, but I had to grab him at that cost, in a keeper)
RP-H.Street $1 (keeper)
RP-B.Wagner $25

We still are drafting a 6 man bench, and 3 minor leaguers. How does my club look? As you can see I spent almost all my money on bats, and filled it in with $1 pitchers, at the end of the draft. I figured there are still some decent pitchers, on the waiver wire, so I should be able to grab some guys, during the bench draft, and throughout the season. Thoughts?

Thanks again,
Last edited by BUCCOFAN on Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 278)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PedroFan45 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:22 pm

Looks like a solid team. On offense I would look for another 2B or OF as insurance for Cantu since you can put Johnson at 2B or OF. You can probably find a cheap 3rd closer like Dotel/Borowski.

Help with mine?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 44#2104144
PedroFan45
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 3BorDie » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:22 pm

Nice, well-rounded team - I can't believe you snagged Lackey for $1, what a steal!

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=259220
3BorDie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BUCCOFAN » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:04 am

Thanks, for helping me out guys, anymore opinions? leave a link, will help in return, }:-)

As For Lackey, we are allowed to keep guys for three years, at there current price, then they re-enter the auction, I snagged Lackey, for cheap three years ago, he is now in his last year, :,-( But still great value, and is killing sprintraining, is he finally going to break through. and be that "ACE" that I desperately need. ;-D
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker

Postby Don G. » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:45 am

Lackey at $1 is a steal!

I'd like to add more to this but I don't really understand the auction style draft. Instead, I'll say that you have an excellent balance of speed and power. Reyes is one of (if not the top) fantasy player in baseball. Soriano is a close 2nd and somehow you have both on your team! How did you manage that?

Hafner & Bay will provide more power. You also have the promise of Gordon and Tulowitzki to rely on. Laroche will continue to develop into a slugger. Excellent team all around.
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BUCCOFAN » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:56 am

Thanks Don.G (As for Reyes, I made a deal for him last season, down the stretch, traded away R.Weeks among others, and Soriano, was drafted as a 2B, last season, and the bidding stopped at $28, because he was switching leagues, and playing @ RFK, I guess, people soured on him, in the end, I was laughing all the way to the bank. Really I didn't expect him to perform that well. But I will take it. Both are keepers at that price, from last season. For another two years. (including this season)

Do you think I am set @ 3B, I am really relying on Gordon, alot, to breakthrough and have a Teixeira type rookie season. Could that be possible? I wanted to get a David Wright, or Aramis Ramirez, bat at 3B during the auction, but the money was around to spend on there talent, they went for $40+ during the auction. We are still going to conduct a bench draft, here are the 3B available,

3B available:
Iwamura
Braun
Feliz
BJ.Upton
Kouzmanoff
Koskie
Helms
Marte
Andy LaRoche
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker

Postby Don G. » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:06 am

I can't really say if Gordon is gonna be a worthy starter all year. I'd have to assume that he's going to slump at times but everything I read points to him being a big time player. I banked on that and drafted him in my league. Melvin Mora still has stuff left in the tank so I don't think you're banking on Gordon as much as you think.

Out of the guys on that WW, the safe pick is Feliz but the one with the highest return may be Upton. Remember, Upton should gain eligibility throughout the year at different positions...that raises his value a lot. I would try and get Upton. I think your 3b is pretty solid. Remember, you have to take chances on certain positions...you can't have a stud everywhere. Take a chance on Upton and hope to reap the benefits of a breakthrough season.
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby weas98 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:23 am

I like your bats a lot and you have some really good keepers. Your pitching of Oswalt and Lackey are solid but after that is suspect. Hopefully you can steal some guys who will step up this year. Love the Liriano pick in the keeper league.
weas98
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BUCCOFAN » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:27 pm

BUMP,

Can anyone else add input,

(WHIR) leave me a link,

Thanks again, ;-D
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker

Postby ROC AllStars » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:56 pm

Looks solid, you did great on $1 SPs, Lackey is obviously the biggest steal, he's top shelf material. I like James to win between 13-16 games this year as well. Lilly is a candidate to have a high ERA (flyball pitchers in Wrigley), but he'll gather wins as well if he can eat up innings.

Two things to watch out for:
2B--If Cantu falters, there are rumors that Iwamura will shift over (not sure where that leaves Cantu)
3B--Gordon is a great keeper, but he may not help you that much this year. You may want to look for a power 3B in trade

Good luck!
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team