Any 5x5'ers use a middle reliever? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any 5x5'ers use a middle reliever?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any 5x5'ers use a middle reliever?

Postby kingmike74 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:14 pm

Just wondering if anyone has good success with using a guy like Shield, Broxton or another MR that can keep you ERA and WHIP down and give a few SO's and wins. I have had fringe SP before were I wish I had a good MR but did not want to free a spot by dropping a good bench player.
"I can't wait to put the uniform on each day" ~ Bobby Cox
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CheeseBeger » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:19 pm

I always carry one and last year is was Zumaya. If one of them can put up 80+ K's for you, its definatley worth it to make that bench space.

Guys that may close later AND will give you elite stats are worth alot (this year Broxton/Zumaya)
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Old_Style » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:22 pm

I usually pick up two middle relievers. If you pick up a couple guys like Broxton and Zumaya, they may put up stats comparable to an elite starting pitcher.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Niffoc4 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:30 pm

Old_Style wrote:I usually pick up two middle relievers. If you pick up a couple guys like Broxton and Zumaya, they may put up stats comparable to an elite starting pitcher.
That's a good way to go, and those would be my two choices. Right behind them are Shields and Linebrink. Great final round picks I believe.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 15)

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:32 pm

It's only worth it if you get Shields. Everyone else is to unpredictable. Of course there is nice risk/reward with Neshek, Broxton, Zumaya and guys who might close like Mike Gonzalez, but you should only spend late picks on these guys.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Old_Style » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:39 pm

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:It's only worth it if you get Shields. Everyone else is to unpredictable. Of course there is nice risk/reward with Neshek, Broxton, Zumaya and guys who might close like Mike Gonzalez, but you should only spend late picks on these guys.

Exactly. Don't go out of your way to draft these guys and end up taking them earlier than you should.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tal1286 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:14 pm

I think Cla Meredith is a pretty good option. Especially in a keeper because although I'm not the most knowledgeable about the Padres, it would appear to me that he is next in line to close when Hoffman leaves.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby SmartassBoiler » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:14 pm

I don't bother in a H2H league, but in a roto league I try to grab 2 with in my last 2-4 picks. Combining two reliable middle relievers that late is similar to 150 innings of a top tier starter in terms of ERA/WHIP/Ks, plus a middle tier starter in terms of Ws.
SmartassBoiler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kingmike74 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:47 pm

Thx for all the great replys. I have beed in 8 free league drafts in the past 3 days (5x5 1o man) and NO MR went during the draft. I like to use ESPN and Yahoo to get used to drafting before the real deal. I have a CBS Platinum coming up tommorow and It gives me chilles thinking about taking a MR with my last pick when guys that can swipe 40 (Taveras) or hit 30 HR (Ensberg are going undrafted. Maybe the leagues I have been practicing on are all tards or somthing.
"I can't wait to put the uniform on each day" ~ Bobby Cox
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 24)

Postby davidmarver » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:49 pm

tal1286 wrote:I think Cla Meredith is a pretty good option. Especially in a keeper because although I'm not the most knowledgeable about the Padres, it would appear to me that he is next in line to close when Hoffman leaves.

I'm not sure if a submarine groundball pitcher like Meredith will be handed the reigns. If Linebrink isn't dealt, he's the obvious pick to grab saves if -- God forbid -- Hoffman goes down.

As far as the MR strategy is concerned, it's useful in leagues with deep benches, or deep leagues in general. Once the starters being picked start to hurt you in ERA and WHIP, while being only alright in wins and K, I feel that Broxton, Zumaya, Linebrink, Duchscherer, Howry, etc. really take a value boost. Zumaya and Broxton appear to be sexy picks this season, but I think they're going too early.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers