best fantasy season ever (roto, 1880s style) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

best fantasy season ever (roto, 1880s style)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Jivedude » Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:44 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:All this talk about the high number of innings a pitcher pitched....and not even one Dusty comment..... :-°

:-D

Maybe in a previous life, Dusty was Charley Radbourn's manager!
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:47 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:All this talk about the high number of innings a pitcher pitched....and not even one Dusty comment..... :-°

Lol. :D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Madison » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:35 pm

I thought I'd be nice. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:56 am

LBJackal wrote:What the hell is wrong with pitchers these days? Back then a guy could throw 73 CG's, get 441 K's, and it had no effect on him. And that ERA??? WOW! It's not like they had advanced techniques to find the optimal delivery. How did guys like this stay healthy????? I think some research should be done so we can 'breed' more these super pitchers of baseball's past.

I'm guessing pitchers 125 years ago had 2 pitches, probably a fastball between 70-85, and maybe a curve. No one slugged then. Teams didn't score alot. Team eras were around 3, and add 2 runs a game errors. 400 errors were not uncommon. How they threw so many i don't know. But i doubt if they were here now, with many more pitches, and fastballs faster, they could come close to those numbers. The human species has gotton bigger and faster in 100 years, not worse.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 292)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Jivedude » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:01 am

HOOTIE wrote:
LBJackal wrote:What the hell is wrong with pitchers these days? Back then a guy could throw 73 CG's, get 441 K's, and it had no effect on him. And that ERA??? WOW! It's not like they had advanced techniques to find the optimal delivery. How did guys like this stay healthy????? I think some research should be done so we can 'breed' more these super pitchers of baseball's past.

I'm guessing pitchers 125 years ago had 2 pitches, probably a fastball between 70-85, and maybe a curve. No one slugged then. Teams didn't score alot. Team eras were around 3, and add 2 runs a game errors. 400 errors were not uncommon. How they threw so many i don't know. But i doubt if they were here now, with many more pitches, and fastballs faster, they could come close to those numbers. The human species has gotton bigger and faster in 100 years, not worse.

This was the deadball era. They didn't really have to worry about giving up the home run. They also didn't have to pitch to body builders and steroid users!
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Arlo » Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:18 am

HOOTIE wrote:

One detail worth keeping in mind is that the distance to the plate was just 50 feet, and even though overhand pitches became legal in 1884, Radbourn stuck with an underhanded style...

(Those error numbers might also be a bit misleading; walks, hit batters, balks and wild pitches were all scored as errors at that time.)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:09 pm

Arlo wrote:One detail worth keeping in mind is that the distance to the plate was just 50 feet, and even though overhand pitches became legal in 1884, Radbourn stuck with an underhanded style...

(Those error numbers might also be a bit misleading; walks, hit batters, balks and wild pitches were all scored as errors at that time.)

ARLO nice info ;-D
50 feet? Kind of like teeing off at the ladies tees :-D
Since throwing underhand is natural, and stress free, that could explain the innings. Throwing overhand is unnatural.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 292)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Area51's » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:10 pm

Jivedude wrote:I'll take Charlie Radbourn's 59 Wins, 441 Ks, 1.38 ERA, and 1 Save back in 1884. He also pitched 678.7 innings that year! What a workhorse!

Back in that era, you were happy just to get one starting pitcher on your roster B-)
If I were playing third base and my mother were rounding third with the run that was going to beat us, I'd trip her. Oh, I'd pick her up and brush her off and say, 'Sorry, Mom,' but nobody beats me.
Leo Durocher, Brooklyn Dodgers Manager
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LBJackal » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:54 pm

I didn't know about HBP/BB being counted as errors. But now that I look, Radbourn gave up more unearned runs than earned runs. His ERA probably would have been around 2.70 if not for the weird error rules. And he pitched underhand? Wow, like softball??? I never knew that.

BTW Arlo: Was Radbourn a nice guy? Did you ever get his autograph? :-b

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:15 pm

HOOTIE wrote:ARLO nice info ;-D
50 feet? Kind of like teeing off at the ladies tees :-D
Since throwing underhand is natural, and stress free, that could explain the innings. Throwing overhand is unnatural.

On the other hand, it took six balls to earn a walk [insert jokes here ;-) ], so that's an extra 196 pitches right there...

Seriously, though, yes - that does go a long way toward explaining the workload. Also, I seem to recall that there was some sort of agreement that he'd be released from a contract if he pitched every day (even then, it came down to contracts... :-) ).

In any case, the workload apparently did take its toll. It's been said he couldn't lift his hand over his head (not sure whether that's true or not) after that season.

LBJackal wrote:Wow, like softball???

I believe it wasn't quite like softball; any below the waist motion was legal.

LBJackal wrote:BTW Arlo: Was Radbourn a nice guy?

Absolutely! Hoss and I used to hang, back in the day... :-D

Seriously, though, Radbourn had a reputation for drinking a bit too much...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers