When you draft, do use overall ranks or positional? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

When you draft, do use overall ranks or positional?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When you draft, do use overall ranks or positional?

Postby kingmike74 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:33 pm

Just wondering. Before I draft in my big pay leagues I like to have rankings on paper. I print mine off from Fantasy Sports Central becuase they use about 7-10 rankings averaged. Do you look at overall while drafting or seperate sheets for positions?

I find that with overall I someimtes see guys that are valued high and missed but if I use positional sheets, I will grab a 2nd basemen for example valued at 10 when I could have got a 15 dollar players but I missed him becuase I was focused only on my 2nd base sheet.
"I can't wait to put the uniform on each day" ~ Bobby Cox
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby oddmanout7 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:43 pm

I use my own overall rankings for the first 6 or so rounds taking the best avail player. Only after that do I start taking positions into consideration.
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby josebach » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:49 pm

I work off of one cheatsheet that has both hitters and pitchers ranked together by ADP. I create an Excel spreadsheet using ESPN's ADP. I then copy and paste Yahoo's ranks and stats in next to the names and print it in landscape using separate columns for both hitting and pitching stats. It takes about an hour or so to make.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheRock » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:03 pm

Best answer is probably both. If you had to go with just one or the other I think you want the overall list, you can always go hunting for someone to fill a hole. If all you had was position listings you'd have no way to judge relative values. I.e. the 6th ranked 2B should be drafted several rounds after the #6 SS.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby kingmike74 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:14 pm

Great stuff, thanks for the info. I think I will print out FSC overall sheet so it is right in front of me then use seperate sheets only when it boils down to neding a certain position.
"I can't wait to put the uniform on each day" ~ Bobby Cox
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 28)

Postby johnsamo » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:22 pm

First few rounds, I'm best player available, but I keep rankings handy so I know if I can afford to wait on a position or not. I don't see much point wasting a 6th round pick on a 2b when I know I can get pretty much equal value in the 10th round.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kentx12 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:57 pm

oddmanout7 wrote:I use my own overall rankings for the first 6 or so rounds taking the best avail player. Only after that do I start taking positions into consideration.

This is the way I do. I usually dont pass over the best available player for a posistion till at least the 5th round.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby dewey finn » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:13 pm

I always sift through the position tabs as well as look at the teams picking ahead of me, to see which position they need to fill, so I can hold off on players for later rounds.
dewey finn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby JakeTrain72 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:35 pm

Short answer: Both, but perfer positional rankings with tiers

Longer answer: I tend to use a positional rankings sheet with tiers, then rely on my knowledge and research coming into the draft to know values across the positions. I think by doing it this way and having positional tiers as your main cheatsheet, it can be a double edged sword if you don't have a decent knowledge of values across positions.

The double edged sword is that you can identify and make quicker decisions during postional runs, which is a positive. However, you can also be more easitly influenced to take the last player in a particular tier over a better player if you concentrate too much on it.

This is why it is always a good idea to keep an overall rankings/ADP cheatsheet handy to double-check and make sure you are not reaching.

I like knowing who is left at the positions I need to fill in the middle rounds and having those tiers right there makes it easy to identify which positions I need to fill first to maximize value. So having an overall player rankings list is a little tougher to read. Of course if you have the ability to have your computer right there, you can do a 'sort' on Excel based on position and filter your rankings rather quickly.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:00 pm

My spreadsheet is only by position but I have a point value next to each guy so I can see who has more value from position to position. I don't like to look at lists with everyone together, just a personal thing I guess.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers